Best power tubes for RM100?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR MARCUS

Reaction score
What's the best power tube set/combo for the RM100 head for a metal player? I thought about doing the "Fortin" combo of 6550/EL34s.

That 6550/EL34 combo sounds funny to me but I'm just not a 6550 guy...

Since I lean toward EL34 based tones...I like KT77 and 6CA7s best as they can give you some 6L6 properties like headroom and bass but retain the EL34 mids...

My RM100s sound great with most any tubes...It really depends what you want...

When you say metal, it makes me think you want tight and aggressive...
6550 and 6L6 varities are king there... 6550/6L6 combo might be something cool...Also don't forget KT88, KT66, etc...

The beauty of the RM100 is how it blends these tubes and the individual bias for each tube...I wish all amps could do that!!!

Good luck!

6L6 = Metal to me My UltraLead sounds like a rabid beast with these and even the 59rr custom with the 3rd gain stage on and the right EQ thrives with 6L6's in the power amp although i have yet to test any of these mods with my incoming EL34's
-mp-

I am with Fig on this one. 34's and 6CA7's are my favorite match. I am a Marshall guy though so YMMV.

You want metal tones? Try kt88/e34L if you like 3d percussive, and clear with grinding tones for the fast stuff. Do yourself a favor and make sure you have an OS 4x12. Big bottle tubes love room to breath out the speakers.