Bought the RM100 (Pics) Thanks for the advice.Now what mods?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeeCee

Reaction score
Well i went ahead and bought the RM100 ..Thanks for those who helped me make this decision..In the end it was no contest..Don't get me wrong the Mesa .50 caliber is a great amp..But after playing through the RM100 it was no contest..The Plexi Module pushed the RM100 way over the top of the Mesa.....Plus the price didn't hurt either i figured i could not get hurt to bad with a mint RM100 and two modules for $500...

Next question is suggestions on which module to fill the third spot..Keep in mind i'm not a metal player..I play Blues and classic rock along with rockabilly,country rock about as heavy as i get is Montrose some Sabbath,Nazareth and a couple Metallic songs..But my classic playing style is along the lines of Robin Trower,SRV.Hendrix ,ZZtop ,David Gilmour ,Gary Moore and so on...

The RM100 came with a Blackface and Plexi module so i was thing the Tweed or JTM45 module or possibly the Tread plate or Top Boost would be a good fit but i'm open for suggestions....

Picture288.jpg

cool deal!
If you have a Strat, the Gigmods tweed is absolutely a must have! I never played a stock tweed, but if its even close to Gigmods you have to hear it. SRV, Los lonely Boys organic blues guitar bliss.

I have Gigmods JTM, very cool, but it has specific strengths: Jimi jangly tone, huge low end capbility for clean lead playing. It can get some OD, but that's not the bread and butter, OD I look elswhere.

I'm guessing the the treadplate will not make you happy. "A couple of Metallica songs"...I like lots of metallica songs, but the treadplate is less than inspiring. Better off with a stock Grail, much better quality of tone in the recto ballpark. But chances are you'd like the scary or SL+ (newer ones have a 800 mod)- those hi gain Marshally type tones would fulfill your occasional metal tune but still have the flexibility to give you sounds more gentle genres.

I try not to fall into modded module advice, but it's hard not to- they are superior. An Orange from Salvation is killer versatile for many of the things you play...I never played Jaded faith's version, but I love his other work, so it's worth a look.

I have a Mesa Mark X Modded by Jaded faith which can go from light crunch to all metal and everything in between. I'd post in the classified but I'm still too new to the forum to qualify. PM me if you have any interest. [/img]

^^^^^^I sent you a P.M

Well its been a bit over a weak with the RM100 ..I did two shows with it this weekend ..I liked the way it sounded at practice volumes but when playing live those KT88's show there worth man this head is like sex in live situations..Other than my Marshall JCM800 that i have been playing through since 1986 the only other gear i have been this pleased about in recent memory is my US Masters Guitar Works Sportster Skinny...

CeeCee said:
Well its been a bit over a weak with the RM100 ..I did two shows with it this weekend ..I liked the way it sounded at practice volumes but when playing live those KT88's show there worth man this head is like sex in live situations..Other than my Marshall JCM800 that i have been playing through since 1986 the only other gear i have been this pleased about in recent memory is my US Masters Guitar Works Sportster Skinny...
Nice!! Sounds like you get it. Keep trying out modules and kick it with the MTS scene. There are a lot of really great modules floating around out there. I saw that US Masters guitar in the pic you posted. I got a Versatek with a Floyd Rose on it that I love. US Masters may just be the most underrated guitar manufacturer on Earth. And Randall is the most underrated amp manufacturer in the world. Perfect. My only other advice is to save yourself some time and money by just getting straight into modded modules. They have more switching options and are far superior in tone and feel to a stock module. One good, moddded module, with switching options can cover a LOT of tonal range.

CeeCee said:
^^^^^^I sent you a P.M

Absolutley agree-KT 88's are INCREDIBLE at stage volume in the RM100. Just crushing/warm/articulate all at the same time.

Well it has now been three weeks ..I'm happy to say my Randall love affair is still growing..

I have my first modded pre amp on its way..Even though i have a stock Plexi it was to good of a deal to pass up a Voodoo lab Plexi for $155 shipped..

When it arrives i will be shipping off my stock plexi to Voodoo labs for there JCM/Tweed two in one mod that looks fantastic and exactly what i'm looking for..

I also have my eyes open for a clean to send to voodoo for there Dumble mod that from what i hear is just like sex..