Brown Sound Video Demo - EVH Riffs & Licks

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoo Amps

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3HeAAH6s4w

Be sure to watch the end of the video! - Steve Senes demonstrates how easy it is to dial in a sound similar to Eddie Van Halen's celebrated "Brown Sound". The amp is a Marshall DSL100 with the Senes Mod. All overdrive is from the amp & no overdrive pedals were used. Speakers used are Warehouse Guitar Speakers Veteran 30's & HM75's loaded in an X-pattern & loaded in a 1979 Marshall 4x12" cab. The cab is mic'd with (2) Sennheiser e609 Silver mics & recorded with Apple Logic Pro. Guitar used is an ESP LTD EC1000 w/Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge & 59 in the neck position.

This Mod can be installed into several amps! DSL/TSL's, Plexi reissues, JCM800s & many more.

I hope this is the right section for this to be posted in. If not, please forgive me and feel free to move it to the appropriate section (I wasnt sure which section was the right one).

Many thanks guys & I hope you like it!! :)
Trace

Not a tone I usually go for...but man, that's almost spot on...and some killer playing to boot. Nice job!

Mattfig said:
WOW!!! :shock: :D

Thanks Mattfig!! I appreciate you taking the time to listen and post. I tried to figure out to get the video to show up here but I'm not having any luck with that. If someone knows how please feel free to let me know, thanks!

Have a great Wednesday morning!
Trace

JayDA said:
Not a tone I usually go for...but man, that's almost spot on...and some killer playing to boot. Nice job!

Thanks so much JayDA! Steve's using a Les Paul style guitar so it has a bit more body or in other words is a bit more chunky sounding.

Thanks for your feedback! :)
Trace

Thank you Matt and Jay for your kind words!

The interesting thing about this amp and mod is that, honestly, the tone is controlled by what one plays. In this video, for instance, the amp is set, for the most part, the same as in the EVH video, however, I'm playing a bit differently - and it shows in the tone.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWiLNXqCrQ&list=UUjEQvWvyea9D-dX9Xxg67WA

Man that sounds pretty awesome Trace! Some serious ripping by Steve too. That dude can play!

I have a hunch Steve might make any amp sound good, but a **** fine job as always my friend! I'd expect nothing less from you.

On a side note, you going to LA this year? I just booked my spot and we need to catch up over beers. Missed you at the NY show but hope your vacation was a good one. First rounds on me.

Great playing Steve & nice sounding mod Trace.
So if I am interpretting Trace's comment correctly, after watching the video, I should have my poweramp set to 1ish to get a EVH type Brown sound:?: :shock:

Hamner1 said:
So if I am interpretting Trace's comment correctly, after watching the video, I should have my poweramp set to 1ish to get a EVH type Brown sound:?: :shock:
Don't sweat any advice ever given to get to Brown Town, there is only one variable that's really a given: loads of practice or god-given talent!

Jaded Faith said:
I have a hunch Steve might make any amp sound good, but a **** fine job as always my friend! I'd expect nothing less from you.

On a side note, you going to LA this year? I just booked my spot and we need to catch up over beers. Missed you at the NY show but hope your vacation was a good one. First rounds on me.

We plan to exhibit and I'll see you there!! :) Is it Oct yet? (lol)

See you soon!
Trace

Hamner1 said:

What I was getting at is that you can get a great tone without having to crank the amp. As you turn the amp up the tone translates and the amp also breaths a bit more.

Have a great Sunday my friend! :)
Trace

Voodoo Amps said:
Hamner1 said:

What I was getting at is that you can get a great tone without having to crank the amp. As you turn the amp up the tone translates and the amp also breaths a bit more.

Have a great Sunday my friend! :)
Trace

Thanks Trace & Rob... I think I was sleeping when I watched the vid & missed the obvious correlation. :lol:
Besides apparently the EVH early days tone is still a closely guarded secret, that can not be spoken of by people in the know in LA for fear of a lawsuit from Ed. :lol: :p

Latest posts