Can a transformer rattle?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesguitar

Reaction score
Honeslty, I did try finding a common thread on this first before posting something new........so here goes.

Bought a second RM100BP head couple weeks ago. Noticed a few days ago that when playing at higher volumes, I get a nasty rattle/vibration (in the head box) while striking the open "A" string or the "E" string at fifth fret...anything at 440hz.
SO, I take the chasis out and literally spend an hour checking, tightening, shimming ANYTHING that could possibly vibrate. Checked all tubes for vibration, re-assembled and WALLA......still there :?

I notice though that when letting an A440hz note sustain (that's where the vibration really gets to going), it sounds like the vibration is coming from INSIDE the largest transformer. It's not loose, it is securely mounted, there is nothing on the outside that is vibrating.........

IS THIS POSSIBLE?!! Anyone else experience anything like this or know whether the shipping/moving process could jar something INSIDE that large transformer loose.....(I don't know what's inside them myself).

Alright my friends.....any help would be appreciated. I'll call Randall tech support but I thought I'd check here too.
Thanx!
James

I had the same problem when I first got mine. Fortunately, the amp tech at my dealer fixed it, but I never did get to speak to him exactly where the rattle came from.
One thing I noticed about my head is it arrived with lots of "inconsistencies" like that. Once that's all taken care of, it's really reliable and it's one kick *** head, but until then....

Same thing happened to me. Just re-tighten the screws holding the transformers in place (PT,OT,and Choke) and the transformer bell ends screws.
Another thing that may cause rattle is the screen that protect tubes on the modules.

All good suggestions.
Have tried multiple modules (one at a time) with 2 slots empty to eliminate module rattle......tightening all transformer secure points was done during my hour long tightening session, so it's definately not an issue with that.
Honestly......it sounds like it's coming from "inside" the large power transformer.
Are there any techs out there reading this that know the inner guts of the largest trransformer, to know if something could come loose in there during shipping........or is there literally nothing inside that could do such?
Thanx again everyone!
james

Transformer coils are wound on a "bobbin" through which the laminations ( which look like stacks of sheet metal) are inserted. It is VERY important that the laminations are not scratched or dented or rusted. Each lamination is insulated from the next in the stack. If the transformer is dropped and dented so that some of the layers short to each other, it will distort the magnetic field and cause heating(more that usual). The bobbins can slide on the laminations and also vibrate. Think of the laminations as cut outs of the letter F or E which are alternately rotated and stacked on each other with the center of the E going through the bobbin. I'm NOT suggesting you take the transformer apart, just look for any physical damage. Hope this helps! Pat L.