Can this be done?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trendkill1168

Reaction score
I am looking for a device that will allow me to assign certain stomp box effects to whatever channel I choose on the Lynch Box in the form of patches so I can come up with the tones I need and then change them with a press of a button. I've been looking at the Voodoo Labs Pedal Switcher and Commander but will this allow me to change channels on the amp via MIDI and assign effects? I know this is fairly easy with a processor and floor control unit as I had the Xpression and Midimate before but I like pedals better and wanted to see if any of ya'll out there have done this.

GCX Switcher and GCP will certainly do it, but that's probably overkill.

I read this about the commander, which certainly implies that it is suitable so long as you can set the head to MIDI channel 1.

"While not designed as a dedicated MIDI foot controller, Commander will send program changes to any external MIDI device. This is useful if you have a multi-effect unit that you want to change along with your Pedal Switcher loops.
By connecting the MIDI OUT from a Pedal Switcher into an external effect device, Commander will send out the program change as well as switching your Pedal Switcher loops. Commander sends program changes 1-10, corresponding to the preset number, on MIDI channel 1."

trendkill1168 said:
I am looking for a device that will allow me to assign certain stomp box effects to whatever channel I choose on the Lynch Box in the form of patches so I can come up with the tones I need and then change them with a press of a button. I've been looking at the Voodoo Labs Pedal Switcher and Commander but will this allow me to change channels on the amp via MIDI and assign effects? I know this is fairly easy with a processor and floor control unit as I had the Xpression and Midimate before but I like pedals better and wanted to see if any of ya'll out there have done this.

I'm using two GCX's and a Ground Control Pro with my (2) RM4's and RT2/50 setup. I like pedals too but I have one rack FX unit for reverb and delay.

There are other similar options out there, like the Rocktron Patchmate. I never used one but I've read about them and it seems like a good alternative.

Don't forget you will need lots of cables to hook everything up. My suggestion is to make your own cables. The easiest way is with solderless George L's or Planet Wave Pedal Station cable and plugs. Unless you are good at soldering then definitely go that route.

my suggestion is to just go for the best you can. if money is an issue...wait until you can afford what you really want. too often i have purchased something because it's what i could afford at the time...and then realized i still wasn't happy. i would still want what i didn't wait for.

that said...just really look at your situation, and decide what method you need to to accomplish your goal.

if you have questions on the voodoo labs stuff...Josh is a great guy and will answer your questions. just email them with what your looking to do and get a response from the source.

After watching Trey pedal dance at a Phish show, I realized that getting a master switcher and programming all the combinations of on/off was more complicated than dancing with the pedals wired up old school...something to consider...melding tones one pedal at a time can be artistic as well compared to an abrupt change of multiple sounds

MIDI isn't as complicated as it may seem. it's like playing guitar, diffuclt at first then a breeze. just read the manuals and ask questions. there are plenty of sources online to help you speed the process along.

once you get it...there's nothing like it.

RD/Steve said:
MIDI isn't as complicated as it may seem. it's like playing guitar, diffuclt at first then a breeze. just read the manuals and ask questions. there are plenty of sources online to help you speed the process along.

once you get it...there's nothing like it.

+1. Absolutely!

Thanks for the advice guys. I was actually checking out different systems online last night and stumbled upon the TC Electronics G-System. Not pedals like I was originally thinking about using but **** that thing is really cool. Expensive though at $1,499! I guess I better start saving LOL!

I do this every night. I use the TC Electronic G system.

Her is a link. http://www.tcelectronic.com/G-System.asp or

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Files/Products/G-System/index.html

It has 5 loops you can turn off and on thought patch chances.
The device dose not have any gain stages, just reverb, Delay, and Modulated effects. I use my RM4 for gain. The G system has a MIDI out and a relay out to control pre-amps or Amps respectively.

I really love this unit. The digital effect are the most transparent I have ever heard.

LRStrat said:
I do this every night. I use the TC Electronic G system.

Her is a link. http://www.tcelectronic.com/G-System.asp or

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Files/Products/G-System/index.html

It has 5 loops you can turn off and on thought patch chances.
The device dose not have any gain stages, just reverb, Delay, and Modulated effects. I use my RM4 for gain. The G system has a MIDI out and a relay out to control pre-amps or Amps respectively.

I really love this unit. The digital effect are the most transparent I have ever heard.

Thanks for the info man! Sounds like a real good unit.