Change boost function on RM22 to be 2nd Master only?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
I am annoyed by the tonal changes when activating the boost on my RM22. It gets thick and dark, which is probably what the majority likes, but I need it to stay open and neutral as with the boost off.

So I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to get the boost function to ONLY work on the master volume, and not add the additional gain/tonal changes?

I doubt that a tube change would do it, as there is already a Ruby, which IMO is as bright as it gets?

Would we need schematic for that?

hmm... all other RM22 owners happy with the tone change on boost activated?

crankyrayhanky said:
hunter said:

I love it...wish it had this feature on my rm100 8)

Same here...As a new RM22 owner it's a great feature and easily disabled so you can place whatever you want as a boost anyway...I guess if you don't dig it- I'd say using something you like would be easier than modding it...Just my .02...

And why no fucking reverb??? That's always a bummer for me...With a boost and verb, I'd go straight in...

Mattfig said:
crankyrayhanky said:
hunter said:

I love it...wish it had this feature on my rm100 8)

Same here...As a new RM22 owner it's a great feature and easily disabled so you can place whatever you want as a boost anyway...I guess if you don't dig it- I'd say using something you like would be easier than modding it...Just my .02...

And why no f&*king reverb??? That's always a bummer for me...With a boost and verb, I'd go straight in...

A boost in front will not act as 2nd master, as I said I wanted. Boost in loop will be different too, as it would drive the PI harder.

You guys aren't listening.

I said I didn't want any boost or colouring of tone, but just a 2nd master volume. You keep suggesting different boosts. Am I not writing English? :oops:

It may be an uphill battle...if the mods are max volume, add the cleanest boost and those little 84s are going to compress and change tone...unlike a larger tube that would have more headroom.

The rm50 has a boost that is way different, basically bypass the controls and opens it up to a full roar yet keeping the tone integral

crankyrayhanky said:
It may be an uphill battle...if the mods are max volume, add the cleanest boost and those little 84s are going to compress and change tone...unlike a larger tube that would have more headroom.

The rm50 has a boost that is way different, basically bypass the controls and opens it up to a full roar yet keeping the tone integral

That would explain it, but even with the band I run my RM22 only at about 9 o'clock on the modules, so it's definitely not at its limit.

You need to open these modules up past 9 o'clock, I run mine anywhere between 1-3, usually 3 o'clock. No 2nd master needed if you are only running at 9 o'clock, just turn them up more :)

I personally think they sound better with a higher level on preamp themselves.

Disciple said:
You need to open these modules up past 9 o'clock, I run mine anywhere between 1-3, usually 3 o'clock. No 2nd master needed if you are only running at 9 o'clock, just turn them up more :)

I personally think they sound better with a higher level on preamp themselves.

Tell this to my band mates, they are totally whining that we (the guitars) are too loud. IMO it's the drummer hitting cymbals all the time who is loud, but well ... :oops:

I use my line 6 M13 to boost (and delays, ECT..) for solos in the loop. Specifically I use one of the compressors with no compression and just a little more output to get the extra volume. This is the most transparent way I have found to accomplish solo boost. I set the post boost to match the volume and only boost the pre gain to have basically two gain stages per channel.

Bhosterman said:
I use my line 6 M13 to boost (and delays, ECT..) for solos in the loop. Specifically I use one of the compressors with no compression and just a little more output to get the extra volume. This is the most transparent way I have found to accomplish solo boost. I set the post boost to match the volume and only boost the pre gain to have basically two gain stages per channel.

Same what I've done, using a Radial PB-1 Buffer/Booster.

I will change to Rack FX/Line level and plan to make a box with a 25K pot as a rhythm volume switcher (put it in a loop of the rack switcher).