• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Classified policy

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disk11

Reaction score
I have a proposal for how things work in this section.

Currently, it seems the thread starter wipes out all info once the item sells. For someone like me who doesn't comb through all new threads or may miss a thread entirely, it makes it a bit difficult to gauge the value of things.

What I suggest is we do is leave the list price and make it extremely clear that said item is sold. I think this will make it easier on us to gauge a trade or sell something for a fair price.

What do you guys think?

Your suggestion makes perfect sense...for buyers. On the sales side, the prevailing wisdom seems to be that deleting prices after the deal can help prevent an already ailing market from becoming further depressed. (Whether or not the tactic is effective is another matter entirely.)

Gotta agree with Rising Farce on this...Posting previous prices and trades is not beneficial to seller's at all...Buyers here already know things are tanking and it's not hard to watch deals go down if you pay attention...Plus there's Ebay and other forums too where this stuff sells...Sometimes there's added things to sweeten deals...For example, sometimes I'll throw in some nice new tubes to sweeten a deal...Those factors may be passed over and mislead a buyer into thinking it was a straight trade or whatever...Details are not always shared....

This stuff is worth whatever the seller wants...If the deal sucks, people won't buy...

Having said that, it's up to the seller and buyer whether to post the final deal or not...

Good idea but a few quick PMs or searches can yield similar results...

I'm curious about how others feel though...If it comes to posting the deals and most everyone agrees, I'll do it too...But for now, I'd prefer not to...

My first reaction was to agree with the OP. There have been numerous times I've considered buying or selling something, and wanted to see what the going prices were on the forums; so in that regard it is beneficial for BOTH buyers and sellers to have that information retained.

But Rising Farce makes a good point too, and regardless of whether or not that information is available here on the forums, I almost always check eBay prices before buying or selling anything anyway . . .

For prospective buyers, the key is to monitor the classifieds closely and regularly. If you see a module advertised for $300, then dropped to $275, and shortly thereafter the ad is edited to read "SOLD," you should be able to deduce to within $25 or so what the final sale price was.

I dont see anything wrong with leaving the prices. How else are we going to set value? Ebay does not have the interest and exposure to gauge fair value, at least not as much as this forum. I can see Mattfigs point of view as well- I think times are tough all around and its not a good time to try set values on anything. Truly a buyers market. Ive recently sold guitars and amps and took a considerable hit. Either way, anyone can ask whatever price they want for their modules etc...If there's no response or interest, might be saying something about the asking price. Not much different than anything else you sell.

Rising Farce said:
For prospective buyers, the key is to monitor the classifieds closely and regularly. If you see a module advertised for $300, then dropped to $275, and shortly thereafter the ad is edited to read "SOLD," you should be able to deduce to within $25 or so what the final sale price was.
I don't know . . . I suppose that scenario might work for gear that comes up for sale on a very frequent basis. But if I want to see what the historical pricing is for something I'm considering buyng now, then I want that information now. I wouldn't want to miss out on something this time around because I wanted to monitor it for days or weeks to see what it sells for, just so I can be an "informed buyer" the next time another one happens to come up for sale again; which could be days, weeks or even months later.

The reason I ask is that I will be entering the seller side of the market at fairly soon, and want to be sure I'm not being unreasonable. If we'd rather handle that in a private manner, I understand. I feel having such resources available would be good for everyone.

If someone is willing to help out, shoot me a PM.

stock Randall gear is generally 50% off new selling prices; eBay actually yields higher prices, but count in the hassle and extra fees and who cares about making an extra $10

Salvation seems to be the only module that you can flip at close to or equal value to a new one...and those days may be in the past too if one is willing to wait the buildup time
most other Modded modules are going for 180-250 depending on features, how new and hip it is, etc.

It's basically a loss when you flip these days, lots of supply (modders), dwindling fanatical buyers who have basically tried every module out there (me, JKD, MattFig, drew....)

FYI: I'm in broke mode right now, wish I could buy, but trying to retain and not sell

All good points in this thread. I agree on both sides, I like having the history available for research and also see the point in not reducing already declining prices faster. I'm sure most use them already but I wanted to mention the ebay completed listings as another research tool for historical pricing. Just another option to keep in mind..

warlok said:
but I wanted to mention the ebay completed listings as another research tool for historical pricing.

This is something that I don't think gets enough press. Something I see all too often - especially around here on Craig's List - is people saying "these are selling for $XXX on eBay". More often than not, that isn't the case . . . what they usually mean is that people are asking $XXX, which is not usually a true indicator of what they're actually selling for. Since people can ask any price they want, completed listings (if available) are usually the only thing worth looking at on eBay to help determine fair market value.

Completed listings also help gauge how liquid something is too. Knowing whether or not something is in high demand and sells easily is good to know - especially if you're a gear ***** (guilty!) . . .

I think Ray hit it on the head for the most part in terms of general resale pricing. But these things fluctuate as well. If I am a seller who really wants to unload a mod quick that price may be low or drop quickly. On the other hand if it is just a thinning the heard thing & quick cash isn't the issue, then the price may be set a little higher and stay on the high side.

Fair market value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Set a price you think is fair/reasonable for what you have & it's condition. Then go from there.

I'm fine with prices and incentives getting scrubbed, but not fine with listings getting blanked out entirely. I like to be able to search for a bit of a module's or amp's history -- not to determine its fair price, but rather to determine if it's been the village bicycle, so to speak. :/

HughJasol said:
warlok said:
but I wanted to mention the ebay completed listings as another research tool for historical pricing.

This is something that I don't think gets enough press. Something I see all too often - especially around here on Craig's List - is people saying "these are selling for $XXX on eBay". More often than not, that isn't the case . . . what they usually mean is that people are asking $XXX, which is not usually a true indicator of what they're actually selling for. Since people can ask any price they want, completed listings (if available) are usually the only thing worth looking at on eBay to help determine fair market value.

Completed listings also help gauge how liquid something is too. Knowing whether or not something is in high demand and sells easily is good to know - especially if you're a gear ***** (guilty!) . . .

Not that I am a total prick but I hate when people tell me things are selling for $XXX on Fleabay... So I tell them go buy it there then. They always forget PP fee's shipping and whatever else on there. Market is what market is. Pay what you feel it's worth. Having been on HC for years where people are more than happy to S**T on your post if your priced to high I have not really seen that here yet. Seems like a tighter knit community. Anyway I will follow the rules that are made. Knowing my propensity for gear whoring I probably won't post much for sale anyway. I may be a special on Hoarders one night so keep your eyes open.

Tonight on hoarders - man who bought all the gear he could find needed or not and never sold a piece. Now he baths in a Bass drum and sleeps in a empty 1960b cabinet. Tubes warm his house and light his rooms. For refrigeration he keeps ice in a 60u SKB case.... HAHA I have issues....

rblyn said:
I dont see anything wrong with leaving the prices. How else are we going to set value?

What a module sells for on here has very little to do with "value". Every sale is different, and every seller has different motivation for selling.

Sometimes, a seller just needs to free up some cash ASAP, so moves a module for dirt cheap (i.e., well below what he/she could have sold it for if they had the luxury of time and patience). Such a sale should not be indicative of the fair market value of the item.

Conversely, sometimes people sell a module for the new price, simply because supply is so low this is possible. For example, I have seen some modded modules sell on here for close to the total cost new. Why? Because the wait time and hassle involved in getting one new is so great that some people will just pay the new price to get it NOW. Is that indicative of fair market value? It IS a used item afterall. I believe it is more indicative of a buyer that is simply willing to pay a little more than fair market value in order to get what he/she wants now, instead of 4 to 8 weeks from now.

Bottom line? Past sales are NOT indicative of fair market value when viewed in isolation. As others have said, you really need to be constantly watching the sales on the board (and other boards) and consider what price you are willing to pay for something given the average sale price over MANY sales, as well as your particular circumstances and motivation(s).

'Nuff said.

rlord1974 said:
rblyn said:
I dont see anything wrong with leaving the prices. How else are we going to set value?

Bottom line? Past sales are NOT indicative of fair market value when viewed in isolation. As others have said, you really need to be constantly watching the sales on the board (and other boards) and consider what price you are willing to pay for something given the average sale price over MANY sales, as well as your particular circumstances and motivation(s).

'Nuff said.

Agreed.

Side story to maybe hit the point home. I appologize if it conjures up any ill will/feelings.
Matt recently sold a Salvation 1666, ended up going to fleabay with it & got well less than he could have here had he had the time (or other limiting factor) to sit on it a while. I'm pretty sure it was the lowest I have seen a Salvation high gainer go for. It also started somewhat of a spat/discussion. My understanding is this mod was up FS/FT here by another member & reduced down to in the neighborhood of $250. Matt did some type of $$, trade, &/or both. For how much I don't know & really don't care. When Matt was trying to sell it, he marked it at a price he (& probably many others) felt was fair & reasonable. A public offering was made for what previous owner had advertised & below Matt's asking price. I just don't think we need this kind of headache. I also think this goes both ways. Just because a mod sold for $300 a year ago doesn't mean it is worth that today in this market. Also say Salvation stops making the Mashall+ & it becomes a "collectors" item, does that mean it is only worth $350, $400 becasue it sold for that 6 months ago. No it probably would shoot up significantly.

Hamner1 said:
rlord1974 said:
rblyn said:

'Nuff said.

Agreed.

Side story to maybe hit the point home. I appologize if it conjures up any ill will/feelings.
Matt recently sold a Salvation 1666, ended up going to fleabay with it & got well less than he could have here had he had the time (or other limiting factor) to sit on it a while. I'm pretty sure it was the lowest I have seen a Salvation high gainer go for. It also started somewhat of a spat/discussion. My understanding is this mod was up FS/FT here by another member & reduced down to in the neighborhood of $250. Matt did some type of $$, trade, &/or both. For how much I don't know & really don't care. When Matt was trying to sell it, he marked it at a price he (& probably many others) felt was fair & reasonable. A public offering was made for what previous owner had advertised & below Matt's asking price. I just don't think we need this kind of headache. I also think this goes both ways. Just because a mod sold for $300 a year ago doesn't mean it is worth that today in this market. Also say Salvation stops making the Mashall+ & it becomes a "collectors" item, does that mean it is only worth $350, $400 becasue it sold for that 6 months ago. No it probably would shoot up significantly.

Hey, no hard feelings at all...It bugged me to peg a module at a recent price mainly because I felt its value was higher...Turns out it would have helped me to go with the "current market " value rather than my own "intrinsic" value...I ate an entire crow after whining about where the price should be set and who sets it as the module went on Fleabay for a ham sandwich and a stuffed Gizmo (Gremlin) doll that had a hole in it...To another stoop around here named Daryl...I say that 'cause we go to the same church and such...

Prices are what they are...I personally think offers should be PM's and prices should be the seller's choosing....I don't think anyone wants a noob walking in and being told that a 1666 went for 226.99 on the bay when most of us know that was a 350 mod a year ago....