Crowd-source mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disk11

Reaction score
I thought it might be cool to pool together the non-professional modders (ie Jaded Faith, Salvation, OKStrat, SG, Hilligan) with the modding rookies like myself and create an open, free modification. What do you guys think?

I think that would be great as long as we keep it simple (well . . simple for me) and we don't end up taking work away from the guys that do this to pay bills and feed their families. I'm extremely interested in learning as much as I can. But on the other hand, the more I mess with "attempted mods", the less time I spend practicing. Either way, definitely a cool idea.

It would definitely something that the pros don't do currently. I have some ideas, but if we can't get this off the ground discussing those are moot.

Why does it have to be something the pros don't do? I mean as long as your not copying their work and coming up with solutions on your own i don't see the big deal?

I was thinking it might be a case of stepping on their toes, and they will also do better work than most of us; on top of what Deisel said.

And I think it would be cool to find something interesting to do that they don't do currently. That said, I have an idea that would be something all of the modders do but with different features.

I think this is what the DIY section is for. For peeps to fix and mod their modules and post the progress or get advise on ideas. So what ideas ya have?

Here's what I've come up with, with some notes.

Ideas for unique mods:

JCM 900 SL-X (too close to 59RR/Mashall+?)
Sunn (might be hard to match tone)
Peavey XXX/JSX
Blackstar S1 (too marshall like?)
Carvin V3
Krank Rev (already covered by Stein and Kraken?)
Fortin (ripping off smaller boutique amp douchy?)

Kinda sorta rip off idea:

Crazy custom recto (active EQ, 2ch-3ch switch for fizz, rectifier on/off)

All things considered, the Recto idea would be easiest since the tone stack is pretty much in place, and we'd just be adding switches for the featues I listed and could add common/public tweaks (ie have a switch with two different caps attached to C3 as a tight switch). This assessment ignores the active EQ setup, which may not be possible to implement.

If we go from the first list, we'd have to research how to adapt the amp's tone stack and gain stages to a module, which might be a little much for us.

Surely I missed some amp no one else does or made a bad assumption, so ideas and critiques are welcome.

I think your ideas are within reason of not stepping on toes. I once had a modded Tweed module that nailed the same tones as my friends JSX. It was modded by a forum member. Dont remember who but I may be able to dig up something. It looked to be simple mods, nothing fancy.

VitaminG said:
anyone doing anything like a Laney AOR, Carvin X100B, Soldano SP77, Engl Steve Morse? Or are these tones captured by existing mods?

I think Salvo's Angel would hit the Steve Morse sig tones, but the rest seem like fair game. Never heard of a SP77 though.

Who cares if we step on toes.. it is a free market and there are only so many ways to skin a cat. There, I said it.. is the worry that we might have access to modded modules and that we would steal their ideas? All the JF stuff has the values blacked out or gobbed up some so i suppose the only thing that might be borrowed are switching features etc.. the value in this thread will be mapping out preamp designs and seeing how they can be adapted to the PCB. Then nothing needs to be stolen because it is a group mod working on it's own features.

I'd like to see a Bogner SHIVA. Full clone, not just the Shiva switch. That might be fun..

Kapo_Polenton said:
Who cares if we step on toes.. it is a free market and there are only so many ways to skin a cat.

On top of everything else I've said, IMO it would go against the friendly nature of this forum to do a mod one of those guys do.

So let's kick around some unique ideals, and maybe take a vote late this week or early next week and start inhaling some solder fumes :twisted:

I'm not sure I agree with that.. someone else could easily come along as a new modder with his or her Soldano mod. Why wouldn't that be allowed? In this case, we are doing it as a group.

What I do agree with is not stealing any of their ideas and that is hard to enforce because anyone could get an idea of the circuit by looking at a modded module. So I guess from this perspective, it would be "stepping on toes".

Another problem would be this.. who has the actual amp that they can use to A/B the mod with?

My vote is a Shiva or drum roll............. ADA preamp! :idea:

VitaminG said:
anyone doing anything like a Laney AOR, Carvin X100B, Soldano SP77, Engl Steve Morse? Or are these tones captured by existing mods?
The Carvin I think I can help out on. My Peacmaker has the same mojo as my Carvin that I had. Great Marshally warm clean and smooth gain when rolled up. It was built on a Plexi module and has plenty of SOZO caps and Carbon Comp resistors to help with a vintage tube amp feel.

Let me comment on the "stepping on toes" thing.

Really who cares that you make something that will "compete" with a Mash-all or 59RR? As long as you don't actually copy those mods it is fine.

Really the more the merrier. IMO the question should be: what can be done that is fresh and new?
Creating something that is close to something another modder already makes is useless IMO, there's much more that can be done.

Kapo_Polenton said:
I'd like to see a Bogner SHIVA. Full clone, not just the Shiva switch. That might be fun..
Salvation Mods Shiver has that well covered! :D
(just recieved mine, piece of art IMO)

disk11 said:
m0jo said:
IMO the question should be: what can be done that is fresh and new?

Thanks for putting my thoughts in better wording!
Sure.

Some ideas:
Since you have a far bigger group than one modder by himself (or with a small team) you can do very different things:
  • Maybe there's a guy that does metalworking that can produce faceplates with special stuff like slider cutouts for GEQs.
  • Maybe someone else knows digital electronics enough to add midi control to a module to switch more features remotely.
  • Or maybe everyone can chip in with their thoughts on the perfect crunch tone, and you can Frankenstein those idea's/amps into one awesome mod.
One mad wizard/team has it's merits, but open/crowdsourcing can go way out of that box. :D

That are some great ideas mojo!!

I really like that idea of a GEQ on a module.... although it might be overkill... but that would be one possible outcome of "go way out of that box" :D

The Carvin I think I can help out on. My Peacmaker has the same mojo as my Carvin that I had. Great Marshally warm clean and smooth gain when rolled up. It was built on a Plexi module and has plenty of SOZO caps and Carbon Comp resistors to help with a vintage tube amp feel.

i'm glad your still enjoying the "peacemaker" :)