Customer service SUCKS!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonZombie

Reaction score
Tomorrow makes a month that I have owned my RM100KH.
It shipped new in the box with a blown power tube.
I contacted the seller of the amp who in turn contacted Randall.
I was told I would have a replacement tube in a few days.
After a few days I contacted Randall and was assured that the tube would ship. A week passes and nothing. I contact the seller again who contacted Randall and the same story. I called Randall again on Monday and the gave me some lame excuse that they had inventory last week so nothing shipped.
When I told him this was over three weeks ago and he didn't have an answer. I was told it would ship out that day and would be sent a tracking #.
Four days later and no tracking # I call Randall again and ask to speak to a Manager I get transferred to a voicemail and explain the situation and leave my number. No call back no tracking number. I would expect buying a brand new Amp that the company would stand behind it!

They should certainly not give you the runaround like this. But really, it is just a tube. Not a functional problem with the amp. Why not just buy some new power tubes so you can enjoy your amp?

Yeah, you might as well get over it. Randall is done with MTS and doesn't care about you. Just grab a replacement set of tubes or "tube" and be done with it. If something else is wrong, there are plenty of resources on this forum that will point you in the right direction.

I agree It's just a Tube but It's the princible.
I have 2 used MESA amps and their customer service is top notch.

Yeah, I hear you...and five years ago, it would have been different. While I agree with the principle, I was just trying to give you the realistic answer. Good luck with it man...I love my RM100, hope you stick with it!

RonZombie said:

Yup for many customer service is a total after thought - I had a similar experience buying a Diezel VH4 (Brand new @ ?2400) from a very reputable music shop in the UK.

Amp arrives with mismatched and dying power tubes - clearly the bias is off and has been killing the tubes so rather that fix it (which you would think is the solution right, this is a music shop?) They have stuck in a new but different brand tube ? so I?ve got three of one brand and an unmatched Ruby as well.

The power tubes duly die again after about a day of playing (in the house I might add) and I phone the shop back to be told ?oh yeah, we don?t cover tubes? ? fair enough but the tubes are a symptom not the issue (a symptom they clearly experienced since I?ve got a mismatched tube), still no dice as they already have their cash it would seem they don?t care!

Now having dealt with this particular retailer many times I know that this is not a typical instance of their support, but even so this is not a ?1.99 item...

Anyway I give up, get the amp serviced, re-biased and re-tubed (with JJ?s one of the best) and, after making sure it's fighting fit, due to zero confident in the amp I sell it on ? won?t ever buy another Diezel, won?t ever buy from the re-seller again!

Should have all been solved before the amp left the shop ? basic customer service!!!

I would say though that I agree with RonZombie there are some that get it right ? the guys at Mesa can?t do enough for you when you buy something or it goes wrong under warranty they are great ? tubes don?t work, ?we?ll send you some?; amp?s doing something funny, ?send it to the service guys on us?.

This should be the norm - not the exception!

Randall is just a shitty company! Their service sucks in EVERY way. They treat their dealers the same way. Your dealer should have just given you a set of tubes. You're "their" customer. It may be Randall's fault, but THEY should take care of YOU and RANDALL should take care of THEM.

RonZombie said:

I agree with you on the principle, that they should provide better customer service (and with Mesa's great customer service!).

It's just that buying new power tubes is a relatively cheap way to get your amp up and running again, so you can enjoy it sooner.

I bought my RM100 new, and it needed new tubes. I didn't even think of trying to get tubes from Randall, because I wanted to play it right away.

audiomidijace said:
Your dealer should have just given you a set of tubes. You're "their" customer. It may be Randall's fault, but THEY should take care of YOU and RANDALL should take care of THEM.

This is the real answer here IMO. That's how I was taught when I worked in retail. Pretty lame of any dealer to sell a $1k+ amp and not make sure the customer at least gets it home happy.

Honestly if I were you at this point I'd just buy a set of power tubes and then use the ones you receive (assuming you ever do) as your backup set. You will need them eventually.

Either way best of luck to you. Despite Randall's best efforts the MTS line is fantastic.

Their "customer service" and I use the term loosely truly blows! I called them not to long ago with a question about my newly purchased LB2X12 cab
and they copped a rude attitude with me. They can kiss my ace.
Can't wait for the new Egnater stuff to come out.

Agreed. I can't wait for Bruce to take control and release his new modular products.
Bruce, our tonal future is in your hands!
Take good care of us!
:D

Wow.
Funny thing is.. not funny "ha ha!"... when my gen one Legacy had a power tube pcb issue post warranty, it was pretty cool to send it in to Carvin and pay a simple "bench tech, fix anything, ship it back" fee ($150 or so IIRC). New power tube board (new revision), new power tubes. And this with a "budget" amp.

I am really not seeing the situation here.
1. Tubes are normally not covered in a warrantee, even on new amps. Mail shipping can total them.
2. I once ordered picks from fender and 6 months later, still no picks. Ordered them again from another store and got em in two weeks. In other words, could be the store, not randall.
Everytime i have PHONED randall, the response was extremely quick, email has a way of getting shuffled and lost at ANY company. Give em a call and tell them your situation, they may send the tube right to you, but again, they are an item that shouldn't need to be covered. Just because Randall discontinued the product does not mean they will abandon their customers.
Cheers,
Kurt

I only needed Randa customer service once..it was 10 yrs ago....so I cant say much about them........

I get all my customer service here..at the MTS Forum.

GtrGeorge

I'm sorry but a new tube is quicker and easier than the frustration and agony of waiting for action from people who couldn't care less about you...

Just my .02....Sometimes the fight is just not worth it- even if you win...

Tubes on a brand new in the box amp would not be covered?
And I have called for the past month!

kurtisqpublic said:
I am really not seeing the situation here.
1. Tubes are normally not covered in a warrantee, even on new amps. Mail shipping can total them.
2. I once ordered picks from fender and 6 months later, still no picks. Ordered them again from another store and got em in two weeks. In other words, could be the store, not randall.
Everytime i have PHONED randall, the response was extremely quick, email has a way of getting shuffled and lost at ANY company. Give em a call and tell them your situation, they may send the tube right to you, but again, they are an item that shouldn't need to be covered. Just because Randall discontinued the product does not mean they will abandon their customers.
Cheers,
Kurt

Two weeks ago, I called Randall about amp schematics. They were quite quick to respond and actually did send me the schematics. No issues that time.

They finally came in!
They were out of JJ's so sent 2 Ruby's
Put the 2 Ruby's in the middle biased it up and let it rip!
Not crazy about the KH2 but I am digging the Ultra XL the KH3 is cool too.
Can't wait to get a few modded modules!