Epi Les Paul Upgrades?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncsouthpaw

Reaction score
So I recently dug out my Epiphone Les Paul and I was pleasantly surprised with how good it sounds (and it oddly seems to stay in better tune now - though it could be that my technique has just improved a bit).

My problem: All of the knobs are poppy and crackly and the cable jack seems to crackle and pop every time I move.

My question is would something like this solve my problem? I assume I'd also need the soldering on the jack checked or just get a new jack.

I'm also considering putting some Seymour Duncan Alcino II Pro's or maybe the Slash signature pickups in it.

Am I just insane? Should I break down and buy a Gibson or just upgrade my Epi? Other than some cosmetic "battle damage" the guitar is great, the neck looks straight to me, and this thing sustains for days and days with the stock pickups.

Opinions?

PS: As my name suggests I'm a lefty so I pretty much have to buy all my axes sight unseen - So short of flying to Texas for a visit to Southpaw Guitars my options are limited.

EDIT: I should also mention I'm fairly upset with Gibson's refusal to make any lefty Explorers at any price. Even the custom shop refuses to make lefties. So I'm hesitant to give them any more of my hard earned cash.

My problem: All of the knobs are poppy and crackly and the cable jack seems to crackle and pop every time I move.

My question is would something like this solve my problem? I assume I'd also need the soldering on the jack checked or just get a new jack.

Yes, IMO, that will help, as most, if not all, Epi electronics are sub-par.

I'm also considering putting some Seymour Duncan Alcino II Pro's or maybe the Slash signature pickups in it.

I put the new Slash model SD's in my '08 Epi Slash Plus Top and I really REALLY like them. Hot and tonefull without being too hot.

Am I just insane? Should I break down and buy a Gibson or just upgrade my Epi?

Upgrade the Epi, IMO.

Honestly the pots and shielding are pretty bad on Gibsons as well. Not to mention that the Epiphone probably has a better fret job.

IMO for about $120 you can turn that Epiphone into a better player than an off the rack Gibson. But before you do that:

* check the solder joints and resolder with leaded electrical solder as needed.
* go to the hardware store and get some electrical contact cleaner and squirt some inside the offending pots, and work that around. You may not have to change them out. I think they use the same ones on Gibsons.
* check your ground wire.

I have an Epi Les Paul with P90s and it's all stock and is fine.

Nice, thanks for the responses. I'll be hitting the hardware store tomorrow to start with the simplest solution. Should I remove the knobs and spray from the top or go in from the back? Any tips for not getting that stuff all over my guitar?

Just spray some contact cleaner on the tip of your guitar cable once or twice and work it in and out of the jack several times twisting and shouting hooray! Then to clean the scratchy pots you'll have to get to the back of the pots where you will likely see a small hole in the side...Hit that with the contact cleaner and turn the pot back and forth whilst whistling the theme from Gunsmoke. All of the above steps must be followed or your guitar will belong to Satan.

:D

@ OP
"the cable jack seems to crackle and pop every time I move. "

Chances are if every time you move and noise is generated its probably a bad/loose connection between the output jack tongue and cable shaft. Take off your control cavity cover and bend the output jack tongue a bit so it puts more pressure on the guitar cable plug/shaft. Check the solder joints also. If that doesnt work Id check the guitar cable itself.

If your gonna load up your electronics with a contact cleaner I would at least remove the cavity cover and mounting hardware so your able to work from the back of the guitar. With the electronics removed from the body I would work some sort of rag or paper towel around the part your gonna apply the contact cleaner too to catch any over spray. Contact cleaner will evaporate quickly but a deoxit has lubing properties that'll leave things greasy. With the described pot issues I would look for deoxit vs a straight contact cleaner.

So I was finally able to pick up some spray and it totally fixed all of my pots, and a slight bend of my jack tongue resolved my other problem.

Thanks - you guys rock.

Sill thinking about getting the Duncan pickups. My ESP is feeling neglected I think.

ncsouthpaw said:
So I was finally able to pick up some spray and it totally fixed all of my pots, and a slight bend of my jack tongue resolved my other problem.

Thanks - you guys rock.

Sill thinking about getting the Duncan pickups. My ESP is feeling neglected I think.

I put some Alnico pros in my Epi Custom and it really was a night/day difference

I have had many Epi Pauls. I really loved playing them. Some had issues
with dead spots on the frets though. The jack seem to be the first thing to
go. The last and best one was purchased on a whim. It was a black
standard that had a repaired broken headstock. I was going to jack it all
up and give it the road worn look but it played and sounded better than
any other I had. Lots of fun to be had with pickup changes in those too!! 8)

How hard is a pickup swap? Could someone with a bit of soldering experience do it or should I take it to a real tech? Also should I go ahead and replace the wiring kit or would that not really be a noticeable difference?

Its pretty simple on a Paul. Just trace the wires from the PU to the
pot its attached to. De-solder and re-solder new PU positive wire to
the 1st pole on the pot and ground of the PU to the back of the pot.
Many wiring diagrams available. Seymours wedsite is one I use the
most. He even gives them for other makers PUs. Have fun man!

Latest posts