First practice: amp died, help analysing problem?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. How big would such a device be? The whole electronics package is approximately 10cm x 10cm x 5cm. Plus there's hardly any resistance between the cables to the speakers and the input jack.

I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, so I'll pick up some supplies and see how it goes...

I got a chance to look at a speaker input panel like yours. There are transformers which, without tracing the circuit, are, in all likelihood, in series or parallel to the speaker output, maybe both. This will, of course, affect impedance.

Aha! Finally found the sticker on the speakers (strangely well hidden)... they're definitely both supposed to be 16 Ohm.

D'oh.

So both speakers are definitely not okay. *sigh* Ah well, at least I know that they need replacing. Makes sense as there was no impedance for the circuit that I could measure. Thanks for your help everyone.

Wow... new speakers & tubes have completely transformed the sound, it's now 10 times the volume on the same settings and completely clear. It was rather muddy before. I have a feeling something was wrong with the original speakers.

It also isn't feeding back at low volumes, so there was definitely something going microphonic in the pre-amp tubes.

Can finally enjoy my new amp :-D

May as well bring up an old thread... Urgh, done it again; blown both speakers. Was at low volume at home and they both just stopped sounding. Exactly the same as before, both speakers now barely register a resistance on my Multimeter.

Time to take the amp back to Hot Rox (repair shop)...

So annoyed. Not sure there's any advice to be gotten, just venting!

Wonder why it does it intermittently; I haven't got to play it as much recently because of breaking up with my partner, moving house and things, but it's completely different circumstances to before. Ah well.

Hope everyone else's is running smoothly and reliably!

So, just for anyone curious (or has a similar problem): The amp's fine apart from one thing; it's not outputting 100W, it's 140W! Might invest in some better speakers this time! This thing's seriously powerful...