Just Checking In...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushabud

Reaction score
Hey, all, just wanted to say hello...

I'm a guitarist/vocalist/songwriter, in my late 40s, have owned an RM100 for a few years now, and love the hell out of it! I'm coming in through the 'Modules' section, mostly because that's what most of my questions are going to be about (and I've got a crapload of 'em)...

Been a member for quite some time now, but only a lurker; figure it's time to dive in...

Looking forward to talking to you guys 8)

I play metal/prog mostly, but I spent a long time playing blues and classic stuff; I listen to alot of different genres...

Thanks for the welcome!

May I also wish you welcome and fire away with questions....We're all happy to help....It's a cool community here with a great forum and classifieds....You'll find the best deals here and the best people....

Welcome to free MTS tech support and a wee bit of sarcasm...

Cheers,
Fig

crushabud said:
I play metal/prog mostly, but I spent a long time playing blues and classic stuff; I listen to alot of different genres...

Thanks for the welcome!
Awesome man, sounds someone who needs MTS ;)
What modules do you use?

Also look out for Fig, there are rumours that he has an infectious case of GAS! :lol:

Mattfig said:
May I also wish you welcome and fire away with questions....We're all happy to help....It's a cool community here with a great forum and classifieds....You'll find the best deals here and the best people....

Welcome to free MTS tech support and a wee bit of sarcasm...

Cheers,
Fig

Thanks, man...."Cheers" ? Lucius, is that you?

Sarcasm= Win :)

m0jo said:
crushabud said:

Thanks for the welcome!
Awesome man, sounds someone who needs MTS ;)
What modules do you use?

Also look out for Fig, there are rumours that he has an infectious case of GAS! :lol:

I have the SL+, Blackface, and Rectified modules, all "black stripe" edition; in fact, my first ? is about the SL+...

Is the black stripe version with or without the JCM800 mod? I can pull it and check cap values, but figured I'd just ask outright first. I think all my modules are 2006, but not sure; I know the mod for the SL+ became stock sometime in 2007, but mine may be on the cusp...

Is the black stripe version with or without the JCM800 mod?
I think it could be either- the faceplate changes don't necessarily equal tone changes

The tone is clearly different- older SL+ sounds more scopped and TSL/DSL "modern metal'- the 800 sounds like huge wholesome mids

crushabud said:

Looking at the module overhead, check the resistor directly behind the mids pot, the capacitor that is to the right and back a bit, probably labeled C14 on the board. The resistor should have three orange bands and the cap should read 471. If that's what you find then you have the JCM800 mod.

Welcome aboard! 8)

SacredGroove said:
crushabud said:

Looking at the module overhead, check the resistor directly behind the mids pot, the capacitor that is to the right and back a bit, probably labeled C14 on the board. The resistor should have three orange bands and the cap should read 471. If that's what you find then you have the JCM800 mod.

Welcome aboard! 8)

Thanks! I'll pull it tonight and look...

Shout out to the new forumite! Welcome aboard.

And just to echo some previous statements: keep your eyes on that Mattfig character, 'cause he has a tendency to buy up all of the good modules in the Classifieds in astonishing speed. If you see one you like, go "all in" fast and furiously!!!

:D [/u]

rlord1974 said:
And just to echo some previous statements: keep your eyes on that Mattfig character, 'cause he has a tendency to buy up all of the good modules in the Classifieds in astonishing speed. If you see one you like, go "all in" fast and furiously!!!

:D [/u]

Keep in mind Matt also has the distinction of dumping some of those same mods at about the same astonishing speed. :p

crankyrayhanky said:
I think it could be either- the faceplate changes don't necessarily equal tone changes

From the past posts I have read on the SL+, Ray is correct. Blackplate is definately 800 mod. The blackstripe is questionable. I don't remember the year of the change, but from the speculation I have seen it was later in the year (August/September) when the blackstripe was changed.

crankyrayhanky said:
the 800 sounds like huge wholesome mids

Also know as heavenly tone. :D

I specifically held out for the blackplate SL+ to make sure I had the 800 mod. I had a silverplate SL+ for awhile and it was cool as well. Eventually I will get another one.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Hamner1 said:
crankyrayhanky said:

From the past posts I have read on the SL+, Ray is correct. Blackplate is definately 800 mod. The blackstripe is questionable. I don't remember the year of the change, but from the speculation I have seen it was later in the year (August/September) when the blackstripe was changed.

crankyrayhanky said:
the 800 sounds like huge wholesome mids

Also know as heavenly tone. :D

I specifically held out for the blackplate SL+ to make sure I had the 800 mod. I had a silverplate SL+ for awhile and it was cool as well. Eventually I will get another one.

By the way welcome to the forum.
Yep, afaik the change happened during the blackstripe era ;)
So all silverfaced are non-800, and all blackfaces are definitly 800's.

Gentlemen, thanks to all for the welcomes and insights...

I figured the black stripe era was the transition period, so I'll pull the module and eyeball it...

After that, I've got to get this Rectified module taken care of; stock, it's awful, overly boomy, flabby, etc. I know the later Recto modules are a big improvement, but I might as well get the one I have modded.

Thanks again!

crushabud said:
Gentlemen, thanks to all for the welcomes and insights...

I figured the black stripe era was the transition period, so I'll pull the module and eyeball it...

After that, I've got to get this Rectified module taken care of; stock, it's awful, overly boomy, flabby, etc. I know the later Recto modules are a big improvement, but I might as well get the one I have modded.

Thanks again!
I had a Rectified. Didnt think it was boomy. I felt it had more clarity. Not exactly a Recto but not a bad module. I didnt run the gain up real high or it got muddy. Seems that one is the most unpopular rectos too. Have fun in your tonal indevers. :lol:

I had a Rectified. Didnt think it was boomy. I felt it had more clarity. Not exactly a Recto but not a bad module. I didnt run the gain up real high or it got muddy. Seems that one is the most unpopular rectos too. Have fun in your tonal indevers. :lol:[/quote]

Maybe mine came "challenged", or has bad tubes, or something; I stopped using it about 2 weeks after I got it.

I'll have to investigate.

crushabud said:
I had a Rectified. Didnt think it was boomy. I felt it had more clarity. Not exactly a Recto but not a bad module. I didnt run the gain up real high or it got muddy. Seems that one is the most unpopular rectos too. Have fun in your tonal indevers. :lol:

Maybe mine came "challenged", or has bad tubes, or something; I stopped using it about 2 weeks after I got it.

I'll have to investigate.[/quote]Challanged. :lol: I like that. Tone is subjective. That seems to be the rule anywhere though.

Yeah,I like both of the stock Rectos I had..cant say they sounded like a Rectifier to my ear,but they had huge,articulate tone....though I havent really heard any of the modded modules nail the recto tone either...they sound good as well though..closest I have heard were teh Voodoo and the Deadplate,got a Deadplate on the way......cant wait....