Keep my RM100 combo or find an RM50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpitfireMusic

Reaction score
So I am trying to decide what to do should I keep my RM100 combo which weighs a ton or do I sell/trade it for an RM50 head.

Either way I intend to run KT77 power tubes and switch speakers to Reeves vintage purples or perhaps Eminence tonkerlites to cut down some of the weight.

I would like to run orange/hi watt type mods through the KT77 amp and then use my RM22 for recording and for the vox, matchless and fender mods.

The RM100 combos are soon damned heavy...MIDI is nice to have with the 100 but the 50 will still get you plenty loud......I say get the head and use those nice speakers in a lightweight cab and your back will thank you down the road.... :)

Yeah as it is with the stock Celestions it is a PITA because of the weight.

That was part of the appeal of switching to the Eminence Neos (the tonkerlites are supposed to be close to a Fane clone). Though I hear from many that the vintage purples from Reeves sound much better for those looking for the classic fane tones (which for me is appealing as some of my favorite but out of reach amps are old orange and hiwatts). Switching to those wouldn't really help the crazy weight of the amp.

It can be nice to have the ability to run 3 mods on the amp, but the issue is the weight and for some situations 100 watts might almost be too much. As let's face it outside of a practice space I'm realistically not playing anywhere where I "need" 100 watts.

The only downside is that it might be hard to sell the combo for some of those reasons, it seems like those combos don't have much resale value.

Re-shell it maybe? Get Mojotone to build a head shell. The master volume works well enough that the volume to tone ratio isn't too bad.

The RM50 head is lighter than the Rm100 I presume? nut as long as you have it you can run 2 tubes for 50 watts? I wonder if it will sound different than a straight RM50