middle module socket in rm100kh keeps shorting out modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegaGoo

Reaction score
so for the past 3 months or more i've had my amp out of the shell because i had to perform a fix on some wiring that didnt hold from a previous fix by randall's repair shop. i got lazy and didnt put it back in the shell until last night for band practice. i had been playing through it regularly and everything was fine, but after loading it into the shell and turning it on, it popped and smoked. i took it apart on the spot and didnt see anything wrong until i looked at a module that was in the middle socket (socket 2) of the amp.

the 2 resistors (i think r5 and r6) all the way at the top left, if your holding it with the knobs facing you, were charred and 1 of the 2 little black things that stick out of the pcb were damaged. i dont know what those are called but its basically 2 leads that stick up and have a plastic cover over a metal plate. the plastic cover is what blew off

so i figured the module was bad.

i put the other 2 modules back in and left the middle socket empty. i got perfect sound from the first module but the button did not switch to the 3rd socket. i figured this was because the middle socket was empty.. so i turned off the amp and moved the 3rd socket's module to the 2nd socket and boom. it blew out the same resistors.

any ideas? my only starting point is to take everything apart and see if there is a bare wire touching anything... since the amp worked perfectly until i put it into the shell. I hope to god i can just solder in some new resistors on my two dead modules now.

all of the fuses (didnt check the ones below midi board yet) are in tact

ive really had a lot of headaches with this amp and i'm considering fixing it and selling it, and at best getting an rm4 or maybe just another brand all together

Eddie

i traced the trace on the pcb from the resistors that blew (r5 and r6) to the socket which is pin 6. on socket 2, this pin traces out to the connector that goes directly to the midi board. i traced it to the midiboard and it doesnt go anywhere. not sure what that means.

can i run the rm100 with the midiboard disconnected??

could the midiboard in any way be the source of me blowing resistors in a module?? when i say blowing, i mean a visual spark followed by a little smoke and charred resistors

Wish i knew enough about this to help you bud but don't. Hope someone can chime in soon to help ya out.

solved. midiboard was pressing down against one or both of the fuses underneath, sending 240v direct to one of the connectors on the module in channel 2. put the L-shaped mounting brackets that affix tot he motherboard at more of a 90 degree angle so that the midiboard was not angled down any more and it works.

so be careful if you have the midiboard mounted and press down to plug in the connector that goes to the module pcb. pressing down could bend the l-brackets and cause your midiboard to act as a jumper for the 240v shooting out of the fuses

I am having another issue where channel 2's output is VERY low and even the level knob of channel 2 affects the volume/gain of channels 1 and 3. i think this is a result of me doing a sloppy job troubleshooting and touching the "audio out" connector to the 18v connector right below it and blowing a fuse and screwing up something else apparently

I have to add that i got in touch with Bruce directly and he helped me (not a walk-through) start to diagnose things which led to me finding this short.

Bruce is a top-notch guy

Latest posts