Module recommendations

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintb

Reaction score
I'm trying to build up an MTS rig to replace my current setup (various distortion pedals through a Gibson Goldtone GA15RV amp plugged into external cabinets). My band thinks my distortion tone is not "full" enough. They like my other guitarist's Marshall 6100 30th anniversary amp and Peavey 5150 better (although I think he tends to play with too much distortion).

Due to lack of money, I plan on only buying two modules at this time. So I'm looking for module recommendations that cover my needs best. At the end of this post is a list of most of the songs we do ordered by clean tones to dirtier tones.

For now, I plan on playing an RM4 through the power amp portion of my Crate Vintage Club 50 combo.

Things I'm wondering about:

- Should I get a clean module that gets a little dirty? Or do all the modules get a little dirty? I've always liked the clean tones I got from my amps, warm, clear, glassy (Fender Twin Reverb, Gibson Goldtone GA15RV, Crate Vintage Club 50). Can a tweed module sound good for funk?

- Should I get a high gain module and turn it down for lower gain, or should I get a lower gain module and boost it with a pedal for higher gain tones?

- How come most of the MTS demos on Youtube sound harsh? I hope they don't sound that way in person. Although I think some of the George Lynch videos where he plays a Brahma sound good.

- Some of my favorite classic rock distortion tones are first few Rush albums, Camel, Kansas, Heart, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Frank Marino. Warm, full-bodied, with just enough bite to cut through the mix. For more modern tones I like Rage Against the Machine and Guns 'n' Roses.

- I tend to like using as little distortion as necessary. I increase distortion mainly for more sustain, but I don't like how it sometimes sounds fizzy, or gets muddy, and loses clarity.

CLEAN
Mustang sally - ???
Soak up the sun - Cheryl Crow
Play that funky music - Wild Cherry
Love shack - B52s
Brown eyed girl - Van Morrison
I will survive - Gloria Gaynor
Blister in the sun - Violent Femmes

CLEAN/PARTLY DIRY - I currently use a Crowther Audio Hotcake
What I like about you - Romantics
867-5309 - Tommy Tutone
Can?t Go Home - Bon Jovi
Break up song - Greg Kihn

DIRTY - I currently use an Xotic BB Preamp and boost with Crowther Audio Hotcake to add volume boost and grit for solos
Hit me with your best shot - Pat Benatar
Tush - ZZ TOp
One way or another - Blondie
Get A haircut - George Thorogod
Our lips are sealed - Go Gos
Call me - Blondie
I?m the only one - Melissa Ethridge
Keep your hands to yourself - Georgia Satellites
I touch myself - Divinyls
Ain?t that a shame - Cheap Trick version
I want you to want me - Cheap Trick
Gimme 3 steps - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Bad case of lovin you - Robert Palmer
What?s Up - 4-non Blondes
Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams
Sweet home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Dirty Deeds - AC/DC
New age girl - Deadeye Dick
Hard to handle - Black Crowes version
Hot n Cold - Katy Perry
I love rock n roll - Joan Jett
Since you been gone - Kelly Clarkson
Just a Girl - No Doubt
I hate myself for lovin you - Joan Jett
Take it on the run - REO Speedwagon
Lovin touchin squeezin - Journey
Any way you want it - Journey
Are you gonna be my girl - Jet
Rock and Roll all night - KISS
Ballroom blitz - Sweet
Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin
Alive - Pearl Jam
Rockin in the free world - Neil Young
So what - PINK

DIRTIEST - I currently use a Radial Tonebone Classic on high gain mode. Use Xotic RC Booster to boost volume for solos.
The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
What?s my age again - Blink 182
Sweet child of mine - Guns 'n' Roses
Talk Dirty to me - Poison
Hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
Fight for your right - Beastie Boys
Beverly hills - Weezer
Paralyzer - Finger Eleven
Gel - Collective Soul
Kiss me deadly - Lita Ford

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm curious if the JTM45 module on its own is heavy enough for stuff like for some of the dirtier songs I listed at the end of the song list. Or would I have to use a pedal to boost it.

I was originally thinking of a plexi or brahma module for distortion. But I suppose the JTM45 might sound warmer.

I curious why you didn't recommend the blackface module for clean. How does it compare to the deluxe?

The deluxe is a blackface with more grit, you can mod one or the other to be both a BF and DELUXE, a switch would allow you to go back and forth.

I would recomend this for your clean stuff, boosted with a TS-9 will take you into SRV, CREAM like tones and the like.

A Plexi will get you Zepplin, AC/DC tones, Boosted With a TS-9 I can get it to do Slayer-esque tones, that real nice distortion that sounds like the gain could be turned up, but hey that was slayers sound. Gotta love it

Id say the 1086 as well only because you essentially get a ton of tones in one unit, it will clean up, and it will get brutal. Its just so versital.

From what I read about your descriptions of needs now I would almost go with a JTM for the clean - light dirty tones - as it is a very versatile module - and can do a semi fenderish big bold clean with the gain down to a little dirtier AC/DC with the gain dimed. Another good choice would be the topboost - again a good semi-dirty clean with great range, only problem is its tough to get it really clean without a mod to it. With either one I would set it to just a little break up - and control the bite with the guitar volume. The JTM also takes pedals pretty well - so with the od/dist pedals you already have you will have a ton of room. As to the mid gain/higher gain setup that is really open, but I would probably use either a grail or a SL+. Can keep them dirty-clean and hit them with a od set to boost to put them over the top. As you mentioned your other guitarist is using a 6100 (3 channels if I remember) so to get some contrast the topboost/grail combo may be a little better - or if you don't mind some tone overlap (as everything would be marshally) the JTM and SL+ (would really need to make sure it has the 800 mod to it) is a tough pair to beat. I would do either of them for that song selection, again standard disclaimers - depends on your pickup output, power section and speaker choice.

For what your doing I would use the Marshall based mods , even for the heavier stuff ..

JTM, PLEXI, BRAHMA to SL+

for clean if you want almost acoustic really jangly tones .the SuperV.
If you want the Fender tone but a little less biting get the KH1..

Good luck!!!

I'd say JTM or Brahma dialed clean, with the SL+ for heavy stuff, using your OD to get extra grit in either situation, and your guitar's volume knob to clean things up a bit more when needed.

I can recommend the Plexi. I haven't played the JTM, SL+, or Deluxe though. Here are some quick recordings I made of the Plexi.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=652578

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I think I'll probably go for a JTM and an SL+ since those seem to be the most common ones suggested.

Oh yes! The JTM and Plexi are a GREAT combo. I really been digging the JTM for Areosmith / AC/DC tone. Man...just nails it.
The Plexi covers SO MUCH ground as well I actually preffer that over the SL+. Like Hunter mentioned, toss a OD in front and gets you into the Old school metal territory. But like Pringles....cant stop at just one! Module life gets addicting. :x Too many tones out there!

Latest posts