Modules for EL84's

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimw427

Reaction score
I have seen a few threads stating certain modules work/sound better through 6L6 powered amps opposed to EL84 powered amps. What modules do you guys feel sound as good through EL84 amps, as that is what my RM22 runs? Jim

I am Running a Peavey Classic 50/50 poweramp which runs on el84's. I have found that mid and low gain and a select few high gainers sound good with them. I am running An Angel B, A 59RRcustom, A Plexitweed and a superclean... all sound great but it is only select modules that really excell with the EL84's. The JF UltraLead sounds 200% better in a 6L6 amp, my JF erect sounds better with 6L6's. I almost sold off my ultralead till i switched it to my rm100 now its a killer metal machine.
-mp-

In my Rm22 I always find the JF Voxless sounds the best to me however I use a Mesa 20/20 (el84's) with a RM4 and I'm yet to find a module that doesn't sound good with that combo.

The Judge sounds great in my Lynchbox, but somewhat harsh and trebly in my RM20.

davetheslave said:
In my Rm22 I always find the JF Voxless sounds the best to me however I use a Mesa 20/20 (el84's) with a RM4 and I'm yet to find a module that doesn't sound good with that combo.

I agree with Dave, I have a RM20 head and every module I put in it sounds killer!!