MTS w/ Marshall 1960

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhiloBeddoe

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting a clean solid bottom end from my RM4+RT2/50 with a Marshall 1960B. I tried both V30s and G12H30 speakers in the cab and seem to have the same problem - when I try to add density it seems to translate to mud. I don't seem to have this problem with my RM20 combo on its own, and I also don't notice a problem when using the Marshall 6100 head I bought with it.

Anyone else have this problem with Marshall cabs?

Is it worth investing in another cab? Part of me wonders whether it's just the room. Should I just go MTS cab or hold out for Bogner or something? I have a line on a really cheap recto 2x12 - is that thing worthwhile?

Many thanks

I have this problem with Density control full stop....it's just too much low end flub.

Unless I'm using a module really lacking low end then I won't put it past 9 o'clock....have used my RM50s with ENGL, Mesa Recto Oz and Trad and the Randall cabs....none of which could be considered particularly 'loose' apart from the Recto Oversize maybe..

I run my RM50 through a JCM900 1960A and don't really notice any flub. I play classic rock stuff and some Sabbath & Zeppelin so it could be the material. I normally run the density at 12 but have ran it at 3o. I like the 1960A just fine but I don't know what drivers are in it.

I use a Bogner Uber cab and that cab while expensive works well for both clean and tear your face off distortion. The Uber has the X configuration with two different speakers. 2 60 watt vintage 30's and two G12T75's for 270 watts at 8 ohms. If you can find a Bogner Uber 4x12 used, buy it. It's a tank.

I'm using two Avatar Contemporary (Orange Amp Style) 212s stacked. I've got a Vintage 30 and a G12M Greenback in each. The Greenback supplies some cone breakup. The Vintage 30 cuts. I'm running density at noon. The two cabs together are rated at 100W.

I'm tuned to Drop C and Std D. I don't notice anything other than that I can feel my jeans vibrate at times. Sounds good to me. I think the cone breakup compensates for having to turn up the density any higher.

the construction on the marshall stuff is poor and this could be why, also what tubes are you using, i'd say go all kt-88 if its bass you re lacking. i seen the inside of a few marshall cabs and i was suprised to see particle board just like a peavey cab, although both 5150 cabs i use to own had a pretty solid tight bottom end to them. i try tubes first, if you using el34's you may not ever get good bottom end.

Yes, the back panel of my 1960A,B is OSB. I agree that the 1960A is not as muddy as the B, but for me the A is a little weird for recording, which is what I do most. I hear phasing when standing close to it to try to find a spot to stick the microphone. It's fine at a distance. I should also mention that I replaced the G12T-75s with V30s. I found the 75watters too fizzy.

Anyway, I ended up breaking down and buying a Randall XL straight cab and it's much better for me so far. I feel more in control dialing in the tones.