My new favorite Module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unconventional

Reaction score
1086 FTW :twisted:

I don't know how folks can not like this thing. This should have been the first one I bought ******.

Plenty of gain. Love the tonal variations of the mid voicing switch

2 Thumbs Up.

Not as brash as the Ultra which is why I give it my seal or approval.

Traded it for a treadplate with tonymustang

crunchidy crunch crunch crunch. Some mention putting a pedal in front of it. I see no need to the thing screams if you ask me.

Seems like a more tame XL with more richness to the tone and with the mid voicing option seems like you can sort of go from a mesa modern type tone to marshall type tone.

I don't have much hands on with marshall, but seems to do that tone well.

unconventional said:

I don't know how folks can not like this thing. This should have been the first one I bought ******.

2 Thumbs Up.

+1000000000!!!!!!
This module was the reason I bought the Lynch box. I didnt even know about the MTS. I just plugged into a lynch box that had this module in it at the music store about a year ago and was BLOWN Away!
its even BETTER when you run a Boss SD-1 in front of it!!!!
Chainsaw on Steriods!!!

unconventional said:
Traded it for a treadplate with tonymustang

crunchidy crunch crunch crunch. Some mention putting a pedal in front of it. I see no need to the thing screams if you ask me.

Seems like a more tame XL with more richness to the tone and with the mid voicing option seems like you can sort of go from a mesa modern type tone to marshall type tone.

I don't have much hands on with marshall, but seems to do that tone well.

Since I'm one of the people that bought and sold one of these at least twice...I'll add

The scooped voicing sounds fairly terrible but it's easy to get nice and heavy with this sound...the Grail and Ultra do this far better (and now KH3/KH2)

The marshall side sounds like a TSL/DSL...it's not bad but sounds flat compared to any other of the modded Marshall tones you can get for MTS....it's flexible with the two gain levels but an SL+ modded to JCM800 specs. has this beat easily.

I agree with Mailman...the chainsaw you can get with an SD-1 makes this a lot of fun but in the end it still sounds lifeless to me.

For what it's worth my first one had EH 12ax7s in it...I tried JJs which weren't really any better...a NOS RFT ECC83in v1 couldn't really do it for me either.

The second (or third) one I got had the new Tung-Sol in it and sounded much better...a bit more alive and harmonically rich.

My 2 Favorite modules at the moment are the 1086 and KH2. FWiW, I think the scoop switch on the 1086 brings on the SUCK in a big way, but other than that it is a great module for modern high gain tones. I also like boosting it 8)

Also love the Grail and my SL2B (single channel Eggy). Mr Scary is awesome as well.

SL+ modded to 800 specs sounds good.

What is the protocol for modifying an SL+ to 800 specs?

Caps, resistors? Do you have info JDK?

I haven't been around tube amps that long so all this stuff sounds new to me and I love the module. I have not tried the SL.

Also, there are a million variations to the Tube screamer. Eveyrone says boost. Which tube screamer (there are many) should I get and what do you typically run for settings on it.

Thanks, Kevin

http://grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-jcm800-modification.html

There are many variations on a tube-screamer...just pick one and go with it.

I don't understand the various Ibanez / Maxxon units or their deisgnations.

TS-9 and OD-808 seem to be popular along with the Boss SD-1.

There's also the BBE Green Screamer which is a Tubescreamer clone that robs less Bass from the Signal.

It gets more expensive after that with more features and more 'opinionated' modifications.

mctallica1 said:
My 2 Favorite modules at the moment are the 1086 and KH2. FWiW, I think the scoop switch on the 1086 brings on the SUCK in a big way, but other than that it is a great module for modern high gain tones. I also like boosting it 8)

Also love the Grail and my SL2B (single channel Eggy). Mr Scary is awesome as well.

I "BARELY" use the mid scoop on the 1086 since it does drain the tone, but it sure nails Megadeth HOLY WARS and Metallica BREADFAN to the letter!!
:twisted:

YOUR WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY DUMBASS TRADED IT. LOL. I'M GOING TO THE MUSIC STORE AND BUYING A 1086. LOL

On edit: I practiced last night and my bandmate's were kicking my *** for trading that module. I started playing and they stopped and go " what the F%ck is that, what happened to your tone," and im like.... Uhhhh so now i have to buy another one. LoL.

Mailman1971 said:
unconventional said:

2 Thumbs Up.

+1000000000!!!!!!
This module was the reason I bought the Lynch box. I didnt even know about the MTS. I just plugged into a lynch box that had this module in it at the music store about a year ago and was BLOWN Away!
Chainsaw on Steriods!!!

+1 I NEVER HEARD OF RANDALL but went to the store and told them i want to try out a MTS, guy threw in a 1086 and within 2 minutes i told him i want the amp.

tonymustang302 said:
Mailman1971 said:
unconventional said:

2 Thumbs Up.

+1000000000!!!!!!
Chainsaw on Steriods!!!

+1 I NEVER HEARD OF RANDALL but went to the store and told them i want to try out a MTS, guy threw in a 1086 and within 2 minutes i told him i want the amp.

That was EXACTLY how I bought mine!! I took it home with only the 1086 module. **** thing is KILLER!! Bought it with only that module and then started to get to the others.....but once you get that 1086......hard to find another to beat "THAT" tone! I do love the Mr. Scary with the SD-1 in front. The BEST hot Rodded Marshall out there! I have owned them all too. 8)

Before we go into the record studio i'm getting the module. I'm just playing around with the treadplate. The frickin bright switch is insane. i'll never turn that thing on. LoL.

For my taste : UltraXL - KH3 then 1086 ... own these 3 plus a clean. Hard to explain I find the UltraXL more alive then the other 2 ...

Raf

Raf_666 said:
For my taste : UltraXL - KH3 then 1086 ... own these 3 plus a clean. Hard to explain I find the UltraXL more alive then the other 2 ...

Raf

Does the Ultra XL hiss like crazy? My ultra has soo much fricken hiss it pisses me off.

That's weird, I didn't notice much with the bright switch when I had it. Not even noticable unless you have the gain down. Do you have the gain turned down?

I found it gets muddy after 2:00 but always ran it with the bright switch on

unconventional said:
That's weird, I didn't notice much with the bright switch when I had it. Not even noticable unless you have the gain down. Do you have the gain turned down?

Agreed, I find the bright switch very usable and a very gentle change

mustang, mod that treadplate to a grail then hit it with your boost, your band won't be laughing then :twisted: , honestly i think it beats the real thing

maximus1 said:
mustang, mod that treadplate to a grail then hit it with your boost, your band won't be laughing then :twisted: , honestly i think it beats the real thing

I would but Unconventional modded the module already. I really don't know what he did, but he tapped into a capacitor i think and put a 3 way switch.

( Unconventional, chime in and let me know what you did. )

Maximus, what are your settings on your treadplate and pedal. NOW REMEMBER... i'm talking about gig volumes. When the amp is low volume i love it, but when i push it, it's hard to find a happy medium. Plus when i palm mute and gig volume's it looses its crunch. I'm using my ESP KH-2 with EMG81's and a mesa 4x12. I'm having trouble dialing in my ESP Eclipse II with tuning at Drop A

unconventional said:

None of my module's gain go past noon when boosted with my "Bloody Murder"