NAMM 2011 Update

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug is at Hayden amps now, I think the Tone King has a NAMM video with him online. I'm going to have to move on from Randall pretty soon. The company has too many subsidiaries to focus on Randall & Washburn. You could tell it was all Parker guitars and Hagstrom guitars. Washburn is disappearing and Randall has nothing going. It was the main thing I went to NAMM to see was the new MTS modules. Most of there endorsers already left months and months ago. I was only holding on to my RM100 for the new modules. I think I'm going to sulk off to the AxeFx.

Couple that announcement at NAMM2009 with this:
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=10938

And you see my/our frustration.

I feel it long time ago. Modular system is on fifth or ninth rail.... same in Randall, same in Egnater (remember sad E2-case). Bad news for MTS fans, but this is reality now. Bussiness field are not so efficient as companies expected, so they move for something else....

Be happy and enjoy all modders, because now they are real blood of MTS.

Not to stick up for Randall, but from what I understand is that the Canadian company Jam industries bought them. with that being said all their product has to go through like a UL listing check or CSA and I guess the MTS line failed. Although it passed for sale to the USA, it could not be sold in Canada. with that in mind it can be thought that production on new modules and even old one would be halted in the mean time to direct money and thought to the issue of having these pass then move on with manufacturing with a possible redesign stage in there. now with that being said come on Randall (JAM) hurry it up and give us something new to play with!! really Scott Ian? is that the best you could do considering we have been waiting for what 1.5 years for these Ian mods to come out, and we didn't really like the idea 1.5 years ago, so nothing has changed since then :|

***Heard all this from the local Randall Dealer** how true? dunno, but sounded good ....

slashnstrings said:
***Heard all this from the local Randall Dealer** how true? dunno, but sounded good ....

No offence, but it does sound like a lot of dealer-bull.

First off they were just bought by USM what 2 years ago? Selling it on so soon would be the death of the company.
Plus we would've heard something about that..

Also, even if Randall was bought by a Canadian company, would you really think they'd move all of their production to Canada straight away?
Only if they did that the UL listing check would be a sound argument, and.. it's just not happening.

That said, this is speculation on top of speculation without a lot of knowledge of how this goes over there, so egg-on-face might be in my future ;)
But it just seems like a really inlikely story to me.
I've heard many more of these, dealers cleaming that Randall couldn't find factories to get the amps built etc. so the MTS line was being dropped etc.
90% of the time it's bull to get you to buy a product with a higher margin and the 10% left is mostly speculation based on the little info they get themselves..

Be happy and enjoy all modders, because now they are real blood of MTS.[/quote]

I agree. That seems to be where the action is.

muudrock said:
FYI USM owned Randall for some time. At least 12-15 years.
And there it is haha
I was under the impression that the sale to USM was recent..
They did speak of a recent sale in that posting a while back, I figured that was what they were talking about.

Wiki claims US Music purchased Randall in "the mid 90's". Not that Wiki is the most reliable source, but that's what I found.

Okay, so what did Steve actually mean here?
"after the transition to the new ownership...we needed time to get all our ducks in a row."
??

Yeah yeah yeah, stop rubbing it in, I believe I wrote a disclaimer about not being sure there! :lol:

Ok, so we should be angry at JAM instead of Randall/USM?
Either way, let's just hope that it's a passing thing.

But besides that, my comment (here or in another thread that has my angry shouting ;) ) that they should let us know what's going on still stands.
They don't need to make a big official announcement for everyone to hear, but at least give your true faithful here a heads up that things might move slow for a while but it will be back.

If that were the case I would just go and play my guitar and be happy instead of a bitter forumite whiner ;)

I like Matt's thinking. It is at least a positive spin on things and maybe it would/will hold true.

However if the speculation/rumor is true then my frustration level just increased 10 fold, because I will speculate that my GTO module will not get here until...

Yeah...I like the positive side of things.
Basically we have to take everything in stride and hold to the confidence that we have in the MTS system. We know that it is a value and a really great way to get a bunch of great sounds and even more fined tuned tones via the modder market. If they discontinued the MTS series tomorrow, most of us would be adequately set up to be fine. Especially those of you that are blessed enough to own so many killer modded modules. I got a few that I am looking to get modded and I am not even interested in new Randall gear. My faith in the company is not tied directly to my enjoyment and faith in the worth of the product.

I'm not sure what to say here. I own some pretty expensive amps. The thought of getting a new module with the tone that the GTO Judge has for $299 seems dirt cheap to me. People are complaining and saying they can pick up a used module that has been modded by someone else for less than $299. This module was a collaboration between Dave Friedman, arguably the best known guy to stick a soldering iron inside of an MTS module and George Lynch. I don't belive any of these other modders are working with a guitarist of Lynch's caliber. So we have one of the most popular amp builders/modders in the world and George Lynch developing a module for this series and we don't want to pay $299 for it?

Granted, Lynch is the most fickle, tone chaser on the planet, but for however long he sat with Friedman and worked on this module, the result is killer. Yet the community doesn't think that's worth $299?

I'm on other forums where guys are dropping $3 and $4k on amps like there is no tomorrow. Guys are dropping $800 on attenuators to make their $3k amps usable. Guys are spending $2k on an Axe FX and then $2k on VHT Power Amps and $1k on cabinets for them. Guys are dropping $200, $300, $400, $500 on freaking stomp boxes made by obscure guys in garages and the first brand new module by Randall in years is being complained about as $299 is too expensive?

I am sitting next to $8k worth of vintage Marshall and boutique amps here in my studio as I type this and I feel like a freaking moron because this $299 module sounds fantastic in a Lynch Box head.

Maybe the Randall MTS line is doomed. The first all new module in years has been out for three weeks. I was the first one to post reviews of it on here, post a video of it on here and put them up on ebay. I've sold one module. Funky Munky put them up on ebay too. They've sold 2 modules. If I was Randall I'd probably consider pulling the plug. When your users aren't willing to pay $299 for a module with the pedigree of the GTO The Judge, what's the point?

I hope you guys don't think I'm ranting here. I'm fairly new here though I have been selling the MTS line since the very beginning. I spend a ton of time on other forums and I marvel at what people are so willing to spend for musical gear. This is just a very different vibe here.

The GTO module I did sell went to this guy. Check out these two videos. IMO both of these tones are worth $299, yet he paid only $150 for each :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9V_OOmSUUk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDwNerooE0c&feature=related

Don't get us wrong, . I would pay $299 for a mod no problem, that is if Randall would release more then 2 of em every 2 years. I think getting caught up reading posts from Randall members says this year at NAMM new mods!!! then NAMM comes and ....nothing, next NAMM nothing and so on, it's more of the wanting waiting getting told there coming then a no show. it's frustrating,
having the RM100 sitting upstairs makes me uneasy because...is it going down the drain and becoming a novelty? do I jump ship now and get a Mesa in trade for it and know the mesa will still be worth something in 10 years? just silly fears like that that keep me up at night.

and this has been beaten to death here so I'll drop it.

I hope it grows and becomes a staple in the music world, but it seems to have failed to do so so far and it scares me.

on another note they do sound great