New Power Tube Install Question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Napalm

Reaction score
I purchased a set of Winged C tubes this weekend and I have a gig this Saturday. I may not have a lot of time to play through the amp until the night of the gig. Should I put them in after my gig or before? Just wondered if there was any sort of burn in time on something like this? I just don't want my tone changing as I am playing that night.

You should install 'em ... set the bias and play for an hour to make sure they are going to be stable for the gig...

oh and always carry a spare set! If they're still working...this can be your old set you keep around, just-in-case!

Jack Napalm said:
I purchased a set of Winged C tubes this weekend and I have a gig this Saturday. I may not have a lot of time to play through the amp until the night of the gig. Should I put them in after my gig or before?
After.

I agree with JKD. You only need an hour or two of "break in" time. I would bias them again after about an hour of play since they tend to "settle" after an hour or so. Some (like my tung sols) do not change during the settling but some do. So put them in and rock on.

Peace, Joshua

I ended up putting them in last night and had some time with and the drummer and I put it through a few hours tonight. What a difference these new tubes make.

I ended up trying it at 50 watts in positions 1&4 and think I might leave it that way. Sounds great just like that. I cranked up the master volume even more. Now I have spare fuses and plenty of spare tubes.

Thanks for the tip. I am glad I did this now.

that's great that it worked out for you. I got the Winged KT88 which I'm going to try with my new rig set up soon.
If time permits, you should bring the Volt meter with you to the gig, check it at the gig to make sure the bias is where you want it, that it didn't fluctuate on you.

JKD said:
You should install 'em ... set the bias and play for an hour to make sure they are going to be stable for the gig...

oh and always carry a spare set! If they're still working...this can be your old set you keep around, just-in-case!

Trace Davis at Voodoo Amps instructed me to do the following:

Install new preamp and power amp tubes.

Turn the amp on but in standby mode.

Let the tubes burn for 72 hours. DO NOT play through the amp.

Once 72 hours has passed, bias the amp. After biasing the amp, you'll mostly likely need to rebias at least once more to make sure that each tube is receiving the correct amount of voltage.

Check the plate voltage (which should be 500). If you're using 6L6 tubes (30 watts), you'll need to divide 30/500 = .6 X .6 (60% biasing) = .36mv. So you'll want each tube to read 36.

If you play through the amp before the 72 hour burn in period, you'll compromise the metals in the tubes.

I've also heard this about 72 hours. I've also heard 48, 24, 2, 1 and 0 hours. Seems to be a hotly contested question. The places where i buy mine do a 2 hour break in before offering them for sale. This seems to be common. I find that 1 hour does as much good as 72 hours.

Also bear in mind that tube technology has changed a lot in the past 50 years yet it seems that the instructions on how to use them have not changed. A 1942 WWII tube probably did require a substantially longer break in time than a newer model tube.

Either way 72 hours seems like overkill. Just my opinion but you might save a bit on your next electric bill and cause less stress to your gear if you forgo all 72 of the hours and just do a few.

Peace, Joshua

Mister Joshua said:
I've also heard this about 72 hours. I've also heard 48, 24, 2, 1 and 0 hours. Seems to be a hotly contested question. The places where i buy mine do a 2 hour break in before offering them for sale. This seems to be common. I find that 1 hour does as much good as 72 hours.

Also bear in mind that tube technology has changed a lot in the past 50 years yet it seems that the instructions on how to use them have not changed. A 1942 WWII tube probably did require a substantially longer break in time than a newer model tube.

Either way 72 hours seems like overkill. Just my opinion but you might save a bit on your next electric bill and cause less stress to your gear if you forgo all 72 of the hours and just do a few.

Peace, Joshua

No offense but I'll take the advice of a bonafide amplifier expert (and genius) over a guy that works at a tube store.

And in case you didn't know, tubes aren't burned in at the factory any longer. That practice stopped before the 90's because of the expense, hence the 72 hour period. Furthermore, "Matched" sets are not burned in before they're matched, which can also lead to biasing problems.

I am a recording professional and need my gear not only to be absolutely optimal but sound as best it can sound.

And in this instance, I trust Trace and will take his word over nearly anyone because his work is nothing less than phenomenal.