noise gate

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syvy

Reaction score
I'm looking for a dependable noise gate for my RM100 that is either midi controlled, or controlled by a 1/4 jack. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've searched around and have only come across the Rocktron guitar silencer.

I'd say go for the ISP Decimator G String. It will get rid of all the noise. Just run it through the series loop and font, and all the noise should be "decimated." I have the less expensive version and it is incredible.

Or if you have the money, you can get the rack version. I think it is like $300, but it is worth it.

ive looked into the decimator, but does it kill the tone of the clean if its always on?

syvy said:
ive looked into the decimator, but does it kill the tone of the clean if its always on?
I haven't experienced any lack of tone. Most people say that the ISP is one of the best noise reducers b/c it doesn't affect your tone. I keep it on all the time, clean and distorted.

If you get a chance, try it. Maybe you'll hear something i don't.

I run mine through the front and it gets rid of all the noise from the pickups and modules, but the noise from the back still persists. If i run it through the loop, it is vice versa. With the G string version, you can run through both, getting rid of all the noise. I'm probably going to upgrade mine soon, but i need the money first.

It has one dial, but it is very sensitive. I usually run mine b/t -40 dB and -30 dB. Any more or less, and i get either the noise or it starts to cut the volume. It doesn't cut it by much though. Once you find that sweet spot, your set.

Good Luck.

i went on musicians friend and there are three different rackmounts. which one were you thinking of upgrading to?

syvy said:
i went on musicians friend and there are three different rackmounts. which one were you thinking of upgrading to?
I was thinking of upgrading to the G String pedal. The rackmounts are a little outside my price range. I was just going to sell my current ISP and use the money from that to get the G String version.

the descriptions are pretty similar. any insight to how the three are different? i was thinking between one of the cheaper two

syvy said:
the descriptions are pretty similar. any insight to how the three are different? i was thinking between one of the cheaper two
I'm not 100% sure about all the differences, but i'd say the Pro Rack G is the best option. It looks like the Pro Rack G Stereo includes a third input/output on the back; its function...i'm not quite sure. It probably says in the description or on their site. But the Pro Rack G should suffice.

Here is a diagram of the Stereo version setup:

ISPDECPRORGST_HookupDiagram1.jpg

If i'm reading it correctly, then the stereo version is just so you can go into two heads at once, while cutting the noise in both. So i say just get the Pro Rack G. Channel 1 for the guitar, Channel 2 for the loop.

I'm actually wanting one now. :D I think i'll get the rackmount instead.

Their amps actually look pretty nice as well.

The magic of the ISP Noise Gates is that they don't use the Noise Gate input to monitor incoming signal.
In a traditional noise gate you place the gate in series with the sound source. When the source gets weak [threshold], the gate shuts.

The ISP Decimator is like that ... but the G-String and the rack units are different. They do not use the gate's Input level to monitor when the gate should open or close, they you your guitar's activity. That is why you have plug your guitar first and then have the amp in a loop.

If the guitar is making sounds the gate opens, when the guitar stops the gate shuts. This makes for a more solid traking and make the amp sound tighter, especially noisy high-gain amp.

For the small talk, you can do the same thing w/ a Rocktron Hush IICX. You put your guitar in Gate #1, your Amp in Gate #2 and slave Gate #2 to the activity of Gate #1 ... works nicely IMO.

JKMV12 said:
If i'm reading it correctly, then the stereo version is just so you can go into two heads at once, while cutting the noise in both. So i say just get the Pro Rack G. Channel 1 for the guitar, Channel 2 for the loop.

I'm actually wanting one now. :D I think i'll get the rackmount instead.

Their amps actually look pretty nice as well.

It doesn't have to be heads.

Look at it this way: You have to loops w/ gates that are controled by a same guitar signal.

For example:
You could have in loop #1 your entire pedalboard and in Loop#2 the pre-amp section of your Head amplifier. Now everytime you stop playing your signal is gated in two locations.
It can also be useful after a stereo FX unit, like a noise chorus, rack gear, non-cosecutive FX chains [A/B chains], etc ...