not thrilled with the 1086

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzyguitars

Reaction score
got my 1086 and i am not too thrilled.

seems to lack gain.

imo sounds like a rectifier.

anyone have any quick tips to help me mod it?

and i dont mean tube swaps.

i am talking like stuff like the c3 mods, but mostly to tweak the highs and gain.

yes i can send it to get modded, but i dont have the 200 hundred bucks right now

\thanks

lacks gain, indistinct and fuzzy...sounds like a bad copy of a Rectifier..yup, that's the 1086 :D

It could just not be for you....

I tried a stock one multiple times and even Pete's 1087...while it was better, still didn't gel with it. I don't do the downtuned thing much...maybe it's best for that, since I know it has a lot of fans in the extreme metal category.

i have the 1086 too and i have the same thinking about the gain , need more but with the same tone

i hope someone can explain what we have to changes

I am using the 1086, stock for now though I am sure to sent it or another to Salvation Mods sooner, not later ha.

I really like it with my Loomis 7 string using fairly heavy strings and only tuning down 1/2 step. I'm very happy with my Super V and Blackface too.
The one that I have not gelled with is the XTC. Working on it ha. Playing thru a Peavey Triple X 4x12 with some pedals here and there.

Get the salvation 1666 !
You will love the "recto channel".
This thing has lots of gain and bite and is still very versatile.

FWIW, check out what preamp tubes you have in it also...my 1086 came with electro harmonix's, and while I love the 1086, it does have a tendency to seem somewhat lifeless at times.

On a tip from Bobby :twisted: (bhuard75), I replaced V1 and V2 with JJ EC83's and my goodness...the difference was amazing...way WAY more warmth, fuzz (the good kind) and clarity. For $20 ($10 per tube), that was a hell of an upgrade.

I have a 1086 but it has the JJ tubes stock in it and I think is sounds really good. It covers slightly clean to recto tones. I did swap the EH tubes from my Tweed in it and I didn't like it at all. I semmed exactly how you described it, lacking gain, definition and was lifeless. I put the JJ's back in and it came right back. I am tuned standard on my PRS. I really like it but I am more of a plexi man but it is nice to have around. That is why I want an RM4 too!

1086 = one of the most modded modual's on the market ... glad i never got one !!! i'd heard the 1086 right beofre i got my Grail ... it made it so easy to snag that grail !!!!

cheers

my favorite mod, stock or otherwise.

If you dont like it/get it, thats your loss.
Hugest most 3d sounding mod of the lot and also super versatile.

the 1086 does thump. you have to be careful where you set the treble though , it can peirce a little. i tried one with j's once they seemed to cut the gain quite a bit, it sounded best for me with chinese 12ax7's