Pickup advice

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disk11

Reaction score
Not getting much help on another forum, thought I should try here.

I building a guitar with a Jackson DXMGT body (basswood core, flame maple top) and a knock off Jackson neck* that is solid maple.

I'm looking for passive pickups that will push my high gain stuff but are versatile. For a band comparison, think Opeth.

*Before you make fun of me for getting a knock off, find me a real Jackson neck with a maple fretboard, black sharktooth inlays, and reverse headstock for a righty :p

If you dont mind spending the extra cake... Bare Knuckle pickups all day long. Check on their forum, great community and very helpful.

I am a bit of a Dimarzio nut so bare with me. The best match for a
basswood body I have found is an Evo Neck for the bridge. Had this
setup a few years ago and it was just real smooth and chucky with
the right amount of edge. Tried a Super 3 but it was over kill. I used
to change pickups like underwear and learned nearly something about
every guitar makes a pickup sound different. Good luck!

bhuard75 said:
If you dont mind spending the extra cake... Bare Knuckle pickups all day long. Check on their forum, great community and very helpful.

I've been very interested in BKs, but I don't think I have the budget for them. I do plan on having a set in my current or some future 7 string.

BigBrewtus said:
I am a bit of a Dimarzio nut so bare with me. The best match for a
basswood body I have found is an Evo Neck for the bridge. Had this
setup a few years ago and it was just real smooth and chucky with
the right amount of edge. Tried a Super 3 but it was over kill. I used
to change pickups like underwear and learned nearly something about
every guitar makes a pickup sound different. Good luck!

I wonder how close the 6 and 7 string models are, I do like it in my 7.

if you like Dimarzio's have you tried the crunch lab yet or mo-Joe? love the crunch lab right now.

I know the 7 string djent guys love the crunchlab/liquifire set, and was actually considering that, or the Duncan distortion set.

But, found someone selling an unused SD JB/Jazz set on craigslist for pretty cheap. I now have to fix the neck, as the heel has a different shape than the neck pocket :?

I love jb's, but have found them ice picky in most basswood bodies. They like dark sounding guitars.

EMGhzs are cool. I also dig my Seymour Duncans in my Jackson DKMG (the only pair of passive PUPs I own).

I have to second the BKP's... expensive, but worth every penny. Order them without their fancy covers and the price drops a fair amount. My daily guitar is a Jackson SLSMG Soloist with BKP Ceramic Warpigs... it crushes every other guitar I own and it's also the cheapest. I've had 4 sets of BKP's now, and they all have very distinct flavors. If you email them directly they have no problem replying by the next day with what they think is your best option.

I decided to put the Duncan set in my ESP LTD Eclipse and will be putting the EMG 81/60 set into the Jackson for the time being. At some point I'll sell/trade them for some sort of Ducans/DiMarzios.

I think the BKPs will come when I get a really nice 7 string. Besides, putting pickups that'll cost more than the entire rest of the guitar seems silly to me :lol: