Quick Malcolm Clip

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
As there aren't any Malcolm clips yet I thought I'd post this.

Just moved house and got my gear spread over different places, countries and boxes, so I gotta get it all together to record something decent. The Mac Book cam mic really ain't very good, so sorry for that.

Anyways, here a little overview of different gains with this module. I like how it has Marshall crunch but doesn't get thin or harsh at all, which is often the case with Marshall type tones. This one's thick and meaty, very dynamic, so reacts great with picking volume and has a great edge/bark to it. Takes pedals well too. This is my module for clean(er) duties and it's got exactly the right gain range for what I need.

As said, I will post something better soon, here a first one for now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wUnMG1a4gY

Cool clip bud glad you are enjoying it, has a good tone to it for sure and your Mac mic actually pics up pretty decent straight on like that.

Great sounding module man, a healthy dose of crunch berries for sure, nice clip demo...that mic doesn't sound as bad as you think, methinks ! :d

Glad you guys liked it. I hate how the mic is limiting/comressing at the end when I hit those AC/DC chords. You should have heard it in the room, it sounded spectacularly good and very very close to Malcolm (albeit I use more gain for sure).

Volume was very low hence my being surprised about the limiting, but there is nowhere you can adjust it or deactivate it. As said, will get some proper gear hooked up soon for better clippage, maybe next weekend.

Thanks Christoph ... I enjoyed that a lot
Will be good to hear it recorded with your usual mics etc

I haven't tried a Malcolm yet - although I am geting used to The Judge now

felineguitars said:
Thanks Christoph ... I enjoyed that a lot
Will be good to hear it recorded with your usual mics etc

I haven't tried a Malcolm yet - although I am geting used to The Judge now

heyja Jonathan, who'd have thought I'd ever join you in this family? Well you were first in BKP too, so I am always a bit late.

Malcolm is great, just right. No tweaking needed, it's just there and exactly what I wished for.

hey, what are your preferred settings on the GTO? You have that mode right or left? Bright on? Gain where? I was playing bright on, mode right, gain full, but maybe it could have used a bit more edge to it ...

hunter said:
heyja Jonathan, who'd have thought I'd ever join you in this family? Well you were first in BKP too, so I am always a bit late.

Malcolm is great, just right. No tweaking needed, it's just there and exactly what I wished for.

hey, what are your preferred settings on the GTO? You have that mode right or left? Bright on? Gain where? I was playing bright on, mode right, gain full, but maybe it could have used a bit more edge to it ...

Think last time I played I had left voicing, bright on and gain and tone controls all to 10 - good Lynch tone at least through my rig

felineguitars said:
Think last time I played I had left voicing, bright on and gain and tone controls all to 10 - good Lynch tone at least through my rig

Ahhhh sounds like something I gotta try!!

Thanks for the demo!

I've had my RM22 3 or 4 weeks now. I gigged with it on 8/20 and it held up real well against the band live. Mine came stock with a Deluxe and XTC module. I didn't have time to dial in the channels properly so I just ran my Digitech RP500 into the effects return and it sounded fine.

were you using any effects at all on the demo?

Mike

Which tubes came in your Malcolm, and what were your settings for that recording?

Mine arrived today with Ruby 12AX7AC5-HGs and never have I heard a module with such a heavy blanket over it. Tried it in an RM-20 and had to leave the Bright switch engaged, turn the Bass down to 11:00 and the Treble up to 3:00 just to get even a teensy touch of bite. And this was with the speakers right at ear level; I can only imagine how much woolier it would have sounded if I'd been standing over the cab instead.

Great for playing clean on the neck pickup, though, if that's your thing. Warm and smooth.

iekobrid said:
Which tubes came in your Malcolm, and what were your settings for that recording?

Mine arrived today with Ruby 12AX7AC5-HGs and never have I heard a module with such a heavy blanket over it. Tried it in an RM-20 and had to leave the Bright switch engaged, turn the Bass down to 11:00 and the Treble up to 3:00 just to get even a teensy touch of bite. And this was with the speakers right at ear level; I can only imagine how much woolier it would have sounded if I'd been standing over the cab instead.

Great for playing clean on the neck pickup, though, if that's your thing. Warm and smooth.

I haven't really checked, but it seems all tubes in that Randall stuff I got are Rubys. Settings were bright on, treble 2 o'clock, rest at noon. I had density fairly low on the amp and presence pretty high, and the volume was very low, too.

iekobrid said:
...never have I heard a module with such a heavy blanket over it. Tried it in an RM-20 and had to leave the Bright switch engaged, turn the Bass down to 11:00 and the Treble up to 3:00 just to get even a teensy touch of bite.

I happy to report that the Malcolm plays quite nicely with the HBE Germania treble booster that came in the mail yesterday. Or maybe purple sparkle finish just makes everything seem better. :)

Pretty sweet. I need something between clean and nasty and this may just do it. :)