Re-Tubing an RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a slightly used RM100 for a ridiculously low price the only thing is it needs to be re-tubed , I play alot of hard rock and metal (GnR and Metallica) and some more modern stuff (machinehead) I was wondering what would be the best power tubes to put in the amp it had stock 6L6GC's in it.
-MP-

I am a 34 guy but for the modern stuff, the 6L6's would fit better. If it were me, I would have 34's and 6L6's in there. Fig loves the 34 / 6CA7 combo but I have not tried that one yet.

Didnt care much for the JJ 6L6s I had. The change I made to EH6CA7s was a good move for me. Great warm mid push and earlier breakup. I just picked up another 50 watter with Ruby 34s and I like them too. My (MarkIIC) Mesa module likes them too. I still want to try more choices. I am thinking 6550s or KT??s are on my list. I want a bit more clarity on the top end.

eyeball987 said:
I am a 34 guy but for the modern stuff, the 6L6's would fit better. If it were me, I would have 34's and 6L6's in there. Fig loves the 34 / 6CA7 combo but I have not tried that one yet.

So all four tubes dont need to be matched?

zepplin490 said:
eyeball987 said:

So all four tubes dont need to be matched?

+1 to what Ampoholic said. You can run just about two pairs of tubes you want.

I didn't like the 6550's I have tried. Too sterile and stiff for me.

Yep, HUGE fan of 6CA7 / EL34 combo....6550s, though I keep going back and trying them out, just sound sterile and fizzy....I'll admit that, for cleans - they are beautiful...

In my RT2/50 I use Winged C EL34s and Winged C 6L6s and love it...But that one doesn't "blend" the signal like the RM100 does, it outputs to 2 sep sides (at least how I have mine setup)...

It's a matter of taste....If you play really loud, it will matter more to you than someone jamming at bedroom levels..

Good luck!

KT88/6L6 combo if you want a huge and clear tone with the heavy and clean stuff....sounds like a good cd with the volume up when you have it dialed in right....really fills the room too....

alowerdeep said:
KT88/6L6 combo if you want a huge and clear tone with the heavy and clean stuff....sounds like a good cd with the volume up when you have it dialed in right....really fills the room too....

yep or KT88/ Winged C EL34 combo as well...The KT88's either in combination or by themselves are a must for me. HUGE soundstage and the clearest mids and highs. Just like a big EL34.

How are you guys/gals running your combinations of power tubes? Are most of you using the inside/outside combination? If so, what's on the inside and what's on the outside? I am just curious which pair is on the inside and which is on the outside.

I currently have Ruby 6L6's outside and EL34's inside. My favorite combo was EH KT88's outside and TS EL34B's inside.

As a generalization for me, the EL34's are best inside (midrange cut) and the deeper/rounder sounding tubes go outside.

Jaded Faith said:
As a generalization for me, the EL34's are best inside (midrange cut) and the deeper/rounder sounding tubes go outside.

I would agree with that, EL34 on the inside for me as well.

drewiv said:
Jaded Faith said:

I'll also agree...Bigger bottles on the outside- 34's on the inside.

rblyn said:
drewiv said:
Jaded Faith said:

I'll also agree...Bigger bottles on the outside- 34's on the inside.

Interesting. I don't remember there being a difference. I will have to take a peek and see where mine are at.