RM100 Chassis Mods

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillTone

Reaction score
OK, we all love our modified modules, but has anyone done any cool chassis mods? Are there parts in the signal path of the power section that are good to upgrade?

A friend of mine is an electronics guy in the Silicon Valley and wants to get his feet on guitar amps. I figured if there are any useful upgrades I would give him a shot at my RM100.

FYI - I have the MM OT and Choke done.

You can surely mess about with the caps in the input section and probably the Presence/Density board right?

I replaced the (treble bypass?) cap in the input of my 50 watter for half the value to cut some low end....think I put the standard cap make in as it was all I had...I prefer it this way, can use a bit more Bass on the module if I need to but the signal going in is 'tighter'

Friedman has a mod to make the power section 'more Marshally' and according to at least one owner, he preferred it/put it on a level of a Cameron mod with his modded modules.

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to work out how to mod those boards given a Marshall schematic...change a few values up...I downloaded stuff with intention of trying but sold my RM100 Lynch Box before I got chance.

Lethal voltage warning and all that though eh...be safe! :)

JKD said:
Friedman has a mod to make the power section 'more Marshally' and according to at least one owner, he preferred it/put it on a level of a Cameron mod with his modded modules.

I was at Dave's shop a few weeks back and asked about this mod. He changes the Density & Presence to be like a Marshall and makes a few other changes as well. The cost he quoted me was $160.00.

I'm interested in upgrading my RM100 to the Mercury Magnetics input, output and choke before making those changes. The biggest issue for me is not knowing how Dave's changes will affect non-Marshall modules like the Stonerverb, Rectifier, AC30, et al.

I posted this question a few months ago. Here is the changes Dave makes to the RM100....he had done this to Steve Stevens old RM100. As MikeP mentioned, it does voice the power section to be more Marshally, so you will lose some of the versatility.

Here is feedback from someone that had it done:

Changed first gain stage as all modules must use the first gain stage that is built inside the Randall. Its less bassy, and helps when hitting the gain modules. It is switchable between modded and stock. Dave also reworked the power section so the presence control was more like a Marshall, and the depth control could be more usable. I can crank it up pretty good, and not have the amp all muddy or woofy sounding. I really think these mods should be standard on the amp, as it definitely sound better than they did stock. Then again, not everyone will agree.

Thanks for the responses.

More Marshally may not be a bad thing for me. As much as I try to broaden my tone choices I always go back to the Marshall kind of tone.