rm100 smells like burnt down electronic devices...??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grex

Reaction score
hi!
as the topic already predicates....
my rm100 head smells weird. ( when you switch him on)
It?s like a smoky stench - but without formation of smoke !! nothing !
The amp works fine - everythings ok ( last week studio session, played gigs on weekend..)
The modules are OK. ( visual test of parts...)
Could this be a transformer going ex (in near future)?
...anyone give acount about ?

grex

Anything you can feel by the touch of your hand that's running at "an unhealthy temperature"?

Ever opened the thing to inspect wether there's any cables where they shouldn't be?

Could be things that always were cold now being heated and hence fumes form. However I do know that scent all too well by now - or perhaps that should have been more appropriately spelled "bye now".

last time I?ve checked the bias is about a month or two ago.
My rm100 is populated with 4 JJ EL34L with bias setting at 38mA.

possibility 1 : my voltmeter works wrong and I biased it to hot ( but the tubes light normal...)
possibility 2 : the bias is wrong because of transportation of amp ...? no..

I?m gonna check out the bias again tonight.

Also I couldn?t "feel" any unnormal temparature on the modules or on the amp.
I?ll give account...

Play it about 30 minutes or until you can smell burning. Calmly turn the volume of the guitar off, set it down, and very caryfully reach into the back of the amp placing a hand on the transformers. Be careful of the tubes because they will burn the holy living noob out of anyone!

They should be a tiny bit warm but not uncomfortable to hold.

Report back please.

:evil: :cry: :cry:
ok, my amp is dead !

Played it yesterday in recording studio to make some overdubs for our new album. It worked great - tried all the things (thanks bruce, thanks soulinsane,..) but without noticeable features....so far.

After playing about one hour I changed the amp (Laney) for another sound. Afterwards I engaged the randall again. B*llshit, amp doesn?t work...

Power On -> warm up -> stand by - > no sound -> no noise - > no glowing EL43 tubes !!!
fan is running normal, channel switching also works, leds also lights up...

I think that this is the same problem I had about a year (or a half?) ago:
A faulty internal fuse for the "tube heating circuit" ( you?ve got my? - sorry for my english...)

My dealer replaced it ...ok, but now it seems to be that this is the same error again !
I?m gonna call him in about one hour - I want to get a NEW amp (exchange) !!!! ALL in WARRENTY TIME
That really sucks because of gettin? in studio today without my randall ;-(