RM22 Module bay occasionally not working.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhosterman

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to the Randall world. I bought a new RM22 a few weeks ago and right out of the box the second channel/ bay two with a XTC pre installed didn't work. It lights up and make a faint noise if the volume is maxed. So I pulled the module out and reseated it and it came to life so I thought nothing of it. Now almost every time I swap out a module in the second bay this happens. Sometimes I can apply force on the faceplate and it comes to life but also sometimes when I let off it goes away. I have always managed to get it working after a while. Sometimes right away, one time the next day. I've popped the hood and nosed around and can't find anything obviously wrong but I think it has to be a bad solder or a bad connection in bay two. Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated.

Are you tightening the screws? They are sometimes important to ground the module.

It could be the module itself. Some older modules can exhibit this symptom, as well as the symptom of "farting out" as the notes trail off. There's a thread on this forum somewhere from about 2 years ago discussing this issue. Rob (Jaded Faith) explains it.

If you have another one on hand, try a different module and see if the issue stays with the module or stays with the slot.

Also, in addition to making sure the thumbscrews are tightened all the way (which is more important than you might think), make sure the module is seated firmly. I don't slam it in, but with about 2-3 inches to go, I like push it in quickly and rather vigorously, so that I can "feel" the module seat all the way (rather than requiring the thumbscrews to seat it any further).