RTAS cabinet impulses

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia

Reaction score
****, the market is limited here. And expensive.

I've got the free version of Eleven (called Eleven Free) which comes with two amp models: one that's a hybrid between the Deluxe and Twin, and the other that's supposed to be a hot rodded JCM800; and two cabinets: a 1968 Marshall 1960 (with Greenbacks), and a Marshall 1960AV (with Vintage 30s).

I picked up Cabinet which has five more (for $49): again duplicating the Greenbacks, but adding Fender w/ Jensens, Leslie, Orange (with V30s) and Mesa w/ V30s.

I was thinking about making my own impulses with by getting a convolution reverb, but was hit with "**** this software is expensive" -- starting at $495 for TL Space which is a memory hog. There is a "lite" version of one that's about $300. Then some that go up as high as $900 for the software. Right. I really need to spend that to grab an impulse from my own cabs.

NI has one for $119 but that's also part of Komplete 7 so if I decided to go that route, I'd drop the $500+ on Komplete for the VIs.

So for more cabinet models I'm down to these:

* Amplitube 3
* Eleven LE (this does allow to dial in cone breakup)
* Speakerphone 2 (this is from Audio Ease and has similar cabs to Cabinet plus another 25 cabs, more mics, mic placement options, and a huge assortment of other effects that are almost mind boggling -- I'd like to read some reviews of this). This would be great for ambient/electronic music as well.

Hey Julia, I'm running Pro Tools Le 8.0. on a Mac. I've been playing with Re-Cabinet's impulse responses loaded into Mellowmuse's IR1A plug-in. At this point, I'm still just experimenting with them in my free time...but I am impressed with what I've heard so far.

Alright...I've read the descriptions and definitions but still don't understand....I use all live cabs and am pretty old school...I record digital and use many things...Guitar stuff however, I don't go much past PODs and such.....What exactly are cabinet impulses? Is that a fancy term for digital comb filter? No disrespect intended....I personally have turned into a cab and mic nazi and deal with all the crap that comes with it...I know whatever you guys are discussing must be worthwhile...I just am an idiot who doesn't understand and would like to...

Matt,
cab "impulses" are essentially samples of audio that can be applied to a dry signal. The software that runs it is basically a convolution Reverb unit..and the impulses are done (If memory serves) as white noise.
When you load an impluse into a convolution rverb ..you dont here the impulse itself..you hear the effect it has on the dry signal.
Tough to explain but quite useable, actually.
Yeah you can think of it as an applied filter...but we all know what filers sound like and this is a totally different way to alter sound.
In this, you are only as good as your impulses..and while there are lots of free ones out there..results vary.
Go look for em..some great some not so great.
GtrGeorge

From my understanding there a some good free ones out there but as far as paid impulses. I hear alot about Redwirez, especially from the Fractal Audio Fans. Since you can upload custom IRs into the Axe Fx.

Your welcome, Matt. Hope it helps.
I think impulses have a valuable role in todays music..a role that filering, and EQ cannot do.
GtrGeorge

Hey Matt, I don't know exactly how/why they work. But from what I think I understand...a known signal is sent through a mic/ cabinet combination. The effect (or response) the mic/cab have on the original signal is analyzed and stored in a file. This file can be loaded into a plug-in in your DAW and used to simulate the same response that the mic/cab combination would have on a signal. Or, more simply, the impulse response files are files that can be loaded into a plug-in to be used as mic/cab/speaker simulators.

I've tried quite a few speaker sims over the years and yes, i find that it's still tough to get THAT sound out of them. But, for those of us who are restricted to silent (direct) recording...they are better than nothing. The biggest problem, for me at least, is that Pro Tools LE turns off your plug-ins when in record mode. So, you have to find a creative "work around" to get a usable (inspiring) sound while tracking. Of course, once the track is recorded, you can come back and add your impulse responses, ect. to get the finished sound.

Lately I've been experimenting with : I plug into an Avalon U5. This splits my signal and sends 1 clean signal direct to my DAW, the other (Thru) signal is sent into an amp head. The head is plugged into a Palmer PDI-03. The Palmer then sends 2 more signals, a processed and an unprocessed signal to the DAW. I'm able to monitor the Palmer's processed (speaker simulated signal) through headphones while I track...which gives me a somewhat useable sound to track with. My DAW then receives the 3 different signals 1) clean/dry from Avalon 2) direct/unprocessed signal that passes through Palmer like a line out from the head (this is what I use the impulse responses on) and 3) the Palmer affected signal (speaker simulated). With these 3 tracks, I'm left with a variety of options to manipulate the sound after recording a track.

Other people I've talked to just told me to get Revalver III and call it a day. Well, I did some checking and Revalver III now supports RTAS. Nice. However I got a look at the rest of Revalver. I'm not a big fan of the Peavey sound, which of course, is their focus. Nor am I a fan of the Marshall JCM900 -- I liked the Marshall Valvestate better, lol. The rest of the amps? I've got the clean stuff on my POD 2, and the KH1. But they do have a lot of cabinets, design your own cabinets, design your own amps. I looked at that section and I got the "deer roadkill eyes" look -- not the "deer in the headlights", but straight to roadkill. Revalver is for gear heads. I'm not a gear head, even though I may know enough about it to be dangerous. I know the difference between a capacitor, resistor, and transistor, and tube. I know what each does, and with internet help I can read what their rating is, but as to what goes where? screw that. I can dial in a tone and bias an amp if I know certain things, and that's about all I need to know.

I also read the manual for the POD HD. This is a serious piece of gear. 10 X the processing power of the X3. The other unit out that's like that is the AXE FX, so this is apparently an AXE FX lite with 16 amp models, but you can't turn off the amp models and use the cab models. But if the models are that good you might not want to. I've heard some demos and the thing kills. They're not even looking to compete with 11 Rack. But there is no SLO on it either. Instead there is the Uberschall, Divided by 13 JRT 9/15, Dr Z Rt 66, Park, Supro (pawn shop special), Gibson EH185, Hiwatt DR103, Engl Fireball 100, JCM800, JTM45, and the usual suspects. Plus M13 effects. The HD300 is $329 street. The 500 is $499 street. Difference is more knobs and buttons. 500 can control your amp via midi. the 300 cannot. All programmable via USB connection to your PC. This is a possibility. Now what can I sell to get one? Ah, a ton of pedals and a bass!

Still I'm looking at the Speakerphone 2 because of the funky ambient effects. I need to do some research into how it interfaces with Pro Tools and how much processor power it uses. I also do some ambient electronica stuff so that might allow for some strange things. More paint and clay instead of the normal stuff + a ton of cabinet models.

Matt..
I have been to this rodea many times..
fwiw, there will still be a role for a good, dedicated cab simulator for some time now.
...I mean...do really want to boot up a computer, just to play along with a song?
And are you gonna lug a PC with you everywhere, just to jam a tad..when the mood strikes?

There is something to be said for simplicity.
Dont write things off automatically because of new devices hitting the market. GtrGeorge

Matt--Hold on to that MicroCab. It is a nice unit and can be used live or recording.

George--I don't think anyone intended cab-sim IRs to be used live. Other than an Axe-fx and maybe a POD unit, IRs aren't really part of the "live" equation. The great thing about IRs is that you can make them from your own speaker cabs and use them for direct recording, at any hour of the day/night, without bothering anyone.

Julia--Check out Mellowmuse. The IR1A and Mellowhead, $49. each. Both support RTAS. If all you're looking for is an IR loader then you can't beat this deal.

Anybody interested in IRs as cab-sims then you should check out guitarampmodeling.com There is a whole forum dedicated to speaker impulses with plenty of info and free downloads.

Latest posts