SL+

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 here as well for the SL+. I use it about 70% of the time when playing rock and metal. I wonder what it would sound like with a little more gain and some tone tweaking? Anybody got one that's been modded?

I have a Gigmods SL+ and it was the whole reason I entered MTS. The tone is fantastic...I wouldn't say more gain, but way more clarity and articulation. I like it with a clean boost to give it edge. It has long been my #1 module for live and recording

dr_evil said:
+1 here as well for the SL+. I use it about 70% of the time when playing rock and metal. I wonder what it would sound like with a little more gain and some tone tweaking? Anybody got one that's been modded?

Put a clean boost in front of it. No more gain will be needed.

Thanks gents. I've used my Xotic BB preamp in front of it with the gain set very low (9 o'clock), volume at 12 o'clock and it adds quite a bit more bite to it for solos.

What brand clean boost are you gents using?

I have an ZakkMXR OD. It's a cool pedal, but I'm curious as to whta else is out there for me, maybe an Analogman TS

dr_evil said:
Thanks gents. I've used my Xotic BB preamp in front of it with the gain set very low (9 o'clock), volume at 12 o'clock and it adds quite a bit more bite to it for solos.

What brand clean boost are you gents using?

Cool Cat Drive or a Cool Cat Trans OD being pushed by a Tone Press.

crankyrayhanky said:
I have an ZakkMXR OD. It's a cool pedal, but I'm curious as to whta else is out there for me, maybe an Analogman TS

I love the ZWOD, but it has it's place because it's super tight. For normal use I use a TS9 modded to 808 specs. I get a lot flatter response since it was modded and sounds great on any module. I also have a MXR Microamp, which is a true clean boost. The Microamp is the fullest sounding boost. For anyone using a RM4, the Microamp is perfect in the serial loop as a volume boost.

Check out the Maxon od808. It should take your SL+ to the next level.

SacredGroove said:
crankyrayhanky said:

I love the ZWOD, but it has it's place because it's super tight. For normal use I use a TS9 modded to 808 specs. I get a lot flatter response since it was modded and sounds great on any module. I also have a MXR Microamp, which is a true clean boost. The Microamp is the fullest sounding boost. For anyone using a RM4, the Microamp is perfect in the serial loop as a volume boost.

Check out the Maxon od808. It should take your SL+ to the next level.

Not to get too far off subject, but as a side note...Did you get your TS9 on the bay - with true bypass??? Do you just run it first inline?

/Threadjack complete

Mattfig said:
Not to get too far off subject, but as a side note...Did you get your TS9 on the bay - with true bypass??? Do you just run it first inline?

/Threadjack complete

I bought it in Ft Lauderdale about 15 yrs ago and I modded it about 3 years ago. No, it doesn't have true bypass, but it didn't matter because I used it in GCX loop. Yes, I always use boosters inline, before the preamp.

I'm using a TS808 Reissue. It's stock. It's also my input chain buffer after my germanium and silicon fuzzes.

I just got a SL+ last week...my first MTS module! I have a Lynchbox and Lynchbox cab. I'm pretty impressed with the SL+....it's the blackfaced with chicken head knobs model. Great Marshall tones, and more gain than I anticipated. I'm running the gain around noon now, and boosting it with an SD-1. What I'm really liking is how effortless it is to play on...almost plays itself. I came a DSL50 with MM OT and choke, and that seems a bit stiff for me to play on.

The SL+ is probably one of the most usable stock modules - Instant hot rod Marshall - enjoy!

I Like it for rythm stuff. Currently I run the gain at about 1 oclock. I think this hit's the hotrodded JCM800 I remember from my youth.

Right now I am torn between SL+ for rythm or Lead & the Scary for the other. Yesterday I liked the SL+ for Lead & Scary for rythm, today I flopped. Although I can't really go wrong either way.

The SL+ is the very first module I got. I'm amazed how it sounds !! Mine is stock & I like it just the way it is. And yes...I'm keeping it !! It sounds really cool in my RM20 and it goes "beyond tasty" when I run it through my Peavey 5150 4-12 bottom cab. I would DEFINITELY gig with this module in my RM20...no doubt !!

Anyone who has an SL+ module...ENJOY 8)

Mine is stock as well & I enjoy it very much. Not that I will, but I am considering a facelift for it. JCM800 style, but who knows.

I'm interested in the difference between the old silverface, black stripe, and black face as well.

Are you guys saying the old silver face has a scooped sound, while the newer JCM800 mod has more midrange? Is this the only difference?

I just wanted to drop my $.02 on the power tubes...If you're going for the true JCM800 tone, you gotta use EL34s...I find, even at very low volumes, they sound much more authentic Marshall tone than a 6L6 or 6550...6CA7s are acceptable middle ground as well...

What I don't understand is why people say that power tubes don't really matter unless you're cranking your amp...In my RT2/50 right now I have SED Winged C EL34s in one side and TAD 6L6GCs in the other....Even at minimal volume there is an obvious difference in tone when switching between them....There's more to power tubes than breakup in my eyes...But that's just my opinion...

Ultron said:
I was just jamming on my SL+ module....great tones! Here's a clip I just slapped together in 1/2 hour....very raw, and plenty of slop. :lol:

http://soundcloud.com/mark-cochrane/randall-rm100-sl-module-lynch-clip

I can hear the Lynch influence in the leads. He is a favorite of mine also. What were the settings on the SL+?

Mattfig said:
I just wanted to drop my $.02 on the power tubes...If you're going for the true JCM800 tone, you gotta use EL34s...I find, even at very low volumes, they sound much more authentic Marshall tone than a 6L6 or 6550...6CA7s are acceptable middle ground as well...

What I don't understand is why people say that power tubes don't really matter unless you're cranking your amp...In my RT2/50 right now I have SED Winged C EL34s in one side and TAD 6L6GCs in the other....Even at minimal volume there is an obvious difference in tone when switching between them....There's more to power tubes than breakup in my eyes...But that's just my opinion...

I've been a modular user since Bruce rolled these out back in 03. Having owned multiple heads of both Randall and Egnater as well as the RT2/50, I can tell you in the RT, tube type does make a bigger difference. In contrast, tube type changes in my Mod 100 or Mod 50 make very little difference at gig volume. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the RT having it's own power and output transformer as well as the circuit paths being different in the power amp vs the head. Some amps are affected more by tube type than others. Overall though, in a lot of cases, power tube types are not going to have a huge influence on the overall tonality at normal volume. If anything, the response of the amp is altered more at a given volume when comparing tube types.