Slash tone?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berserker

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if there's any module stock or modded that can sound like Slash's Appetite for Destruction tone?

If you've got an Egnater dual-channel setup, there's the SL2X (aka "GNR"). If not, Jeff Hilligan can probably make (or already has) a single-channel version using one of the older Egnater single-channel modules as a donor (don't hold me to that) . . .

HughJasol said:
If you've got an Egnater dual-channel setup, there's the SL2X (aka "GNR"). If not, Jeff Hilligan can probably make (or already has) a single-channel version using one of the older Egnater single-channel modules as a donor (don't hold me to that) . . .

I've got an RM50. Is that one of those Egnater modules that pops into the Randalls? Also, any clips?

Mattfig said:
Pretty predictable statement following:

Mashall...Either of the JCM800 settings are great for Slash tones...

What do you mean? The SL+s or something more specific than just those modules?

When he says Mash-All, he's talking about this.

http://www.salvationmods.com/modifications/mash-all

. . . and when I say SL2X, I'm talking about this:

http://www.egnater.com/modules.html#sl2x

But you wouldn't be able to get full use out of this dual-channel module with your single-channel RM50 - you'd only have access to Channel A.

However, c2ply has A TON of the older Egnater single-channel modules for sale here (some of these I've neither seen nor heard of before, as I didn't enter the Egnater MTS world until after dual-channel technology was released). Checkout c2ply's SL/SL+/SL++/SL2 modules. Depending which channel of a (current, dual-channel) SL2X you're looking for, you might try one of these (probably the SL2). Modding a dual-channel SL2 into an SL2X is easy, so I wouldn't expect adding the "X" mod to a single-channel Egnater module would be that difficult either.

Again, Jeff Hilligan can probably shed some more light on this . . .

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I got a PM in regards to an SL+ but Idk if they'll do trades. Just started college so Im low on cash. I'm going to youtube some clips of the amps suggested here, and I'll get back to you guys.

The SL2X sounds pretty spot on even with the EQ being flat from the youtube vids. The Mashall sounds great but I haven't found any clips showing me what I want.

I play my slash tones with a Mr.Scary. It's modded but can nail the JCM800 tone with a bit more edge(mid bite) i find. Also my goldtop is modded like slash's so that helps too. SD Alnico pro II's with a 250K volume pot on the bridge and so on.

slashnstrings said:
I play my slash tones with a Mr.Scary. It's modded but can nail the JCM800 tone with a bit more edge(mid bite) i find. Also my goldtop is modded like slash's so that helps too. SD Alnico pro II's with a 250K volume pot on the bridge and so on.

Slash's models vary. But the General rule of thumb for the Les Pauls is 300K or 500K pots and .15 and a .22 cap. I have mine set up with APHII's and 500K pots with .22 Paper In Oil caps. Wired 50's style. Remember Slash used a Derrick, those were '59 clones to the teeth.

Berserker said:
slashnstrings said:

Slash's models vary. But the General rule of thumb for the Les Pauls is 300K or 500K pots and .15 and a .22 cap. I have mine set up with APHII's and 500K pots with .22 Paper In Oil caps. Wired 50's style. Remember Slash used a Derrick, those were '59 clones to the teeth.

I have my Goldtop with a 250K bridge volume pot, 500K tone pot
500K Neck volume pot and 500K tone pot. All CTS pot's and a .22 600v sprauge Orange Caps. the guitar has so much bite it's amazing, how ever everything in the guitar that i changed, matched with the wood, pick-ups and my playing style all just seemed to line up perfect. just luck I guess but it sounds amazing

heh

I managed to get that tone with an Epi LP custom loaded with Alnico IIs' the OEM pots and cap, and a boss GX700

Really, it isn't neccesarily rocket science
I don't understand you guys going into SO much detail

Cap value and brand?
If we can't look into that Derringer, we'll never know exactly what he used

Mine is an Epi custom goldtop. and we go into detail because I love talking about it :)

Second if your using a GX700 you can get his tone with a ibanez RG or any guitar, because you are basing it off of digital amp settings like a line 6. We are talking about getting the tone with the MTS amp and guitar, not an effects board.

my guitar is to Slash's Goldtop spec not his Derringer.

slashnstrings said:
Mine is an Epi custom goldtop. and we go into detail because I love talking about it :)

Second if your using a GX700 you can get his tone with a ibanez RG or any guitar, because you are basing it off of digital amp settings like a line 6. We are talking about getting the tone with the MTS amp and guitar, not an effects board.

my guitar is to Slash's Goldtop spec not his Derringer.

Tone is all about luck. I used to use modelling gear, once you get used to tubes nothing sounds as good. I mean Derrig Les Paul BTW. I don't try to nail his tone exactly, that's impossible but you could get close and I'm trying to do that for the cheapest I can. I like authentic covers for the most part and I would love his tone for my own stuff. Either way it's all about the music.