So when are we gonna see a Marshall JMP-1 mod

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Msfortin said:
They arent too expensive either. They go for about $450 on eBay most of the time. A good power amp is a good idea with them for sure. Although they do work thru an effects loop of a head like the rm100. I had tried that set up with mine & it does work. It didnt sound nearly as good as when I had it going thru the Marshall 9200 mono block tho. That was the best set up I've ever had & I miss it for sure. (will get another rig like that in the future) I have also heard that Trace does a pretty amazing mod on the JMP 1 as well. I believe Jason hook from 5 finger death punch & Michael Wilton from Queensryche had these mods done. What is the mod Trace? The jmp 1 is so amazing in stock form, I'd love to hear about what u can improve on it.

That is correct sir, Michael Wilton of Queenscryche and Jason Hook of Five Finger Death Punch uses our Platinum Modded JMP-1's. Both have used them for several years now. Also we recently completed (9) for Reverend Billy F Gibbons of ZZ Top that are in use on the present tour.

The 9200 and EL34 100/100 Marshall power amps work very well with the JMP-1 as does the VHT/Fryette power amps, which we have all (3) power amps here at the shop.

Thanks and have a fantastic Tuesday!! :)
Trace

Nightdare said:
yeah I was aware the JMP-1 is an odd concept

Though I don't think it will be long before parts become unobtainable
I believe the JMP-1 was discontinued on grounds of the RoHS guidelines in the EC wich would -if true- give no reason for continued production of spare parts, or even (legally?) keeping spare parts in stock

As it was explained to me; The JMP-1 was discontinued due to RoHS compliancy. IE: there are several chips that are proprietary to Marshall and that would have had to meet the minimum requirement for each of those in order to be RoHS compliant. It seems that the cost was not worth the while when compared to present sales of the JMP-1's. I imagine they will reissue the JMP-1 at some point in the future but please do not quote me on that.

Cheers!
Trace

So the JMP-1 doesn't clean up with the volume knob? Interesting. My POD HD does. I've been playing around with the new Plexi 100 model (firmware update) which goes from bluesy clean to full out Lynch just with the volume knob on the guitar, depending upon where you have the drive set.

Yeah, technically it's a hybrid etc, but for the most part Marshall designed it to mimic later JCM's to some degree, and to that end sticking a clipping diode circuit either in or in front of a later JCM sounding Marshall module will get you 90% there IMO, by no means perfect of course, but likely close enough for R&R.

Agreed that it's better to get a real JMP-1 if possible, and even better to get one and Voodoo mod it etc, but if not...

Voodoo Amps said:
Nightdare said:
:lol:

I wonder if anyone ever did a side by side comparison of the various Marshall modules with this unit
(and found out which covers the most ground)

It's been ages since I've owned one and somehow still miss it, but looking at the age of the 2nd hand offerings (and slowly prices)
and apparently the lack of interest from Marshall to make a reissue,
makes me decide against looking/waiting for a real one and may make me have my last mod to be it's replacement

The JMP-1 is a hybrid design that utilizes opamps as well as tubes. Adding diode clipping will not attain the sound of a JMP-1. In my honest opinion I do not think a Modded module will attain the tone ofa JMP-1. The best bet would be to pick up a used JMP-1 on ebay/craigs list.

Hope it helps;
Trace

In the OD1 and OD2 modes the hybrid JMP-1 does clean up, but not as nicely as a all tube Marshall does as it gets kind of thin and the cleaning up isn't very linear.

Julia said:
So the JMP-1 doesn't clean up with the volume knob? Interesting. My POD HD does. I've been playing around with the new Plexi 100 model (firmware update) which goes from bluesy clean to full out Lynch just with the volume knob on the guitar, depending upon where you have the drive set.

Julia,
...glad you like the Line6 stuff. I haven't heard any of that stuff that REALLY sounded good..is it the patches?

GtrGeorge

Julia said:

But the JMP-1 was developed in 1992(ish?) while the HD has a computer in it more powerful then was available at the time of the JMP-1's introduction
I'm betting the JMD-1 doesn't have this problem :wink:

Edit:
When thinking about it, with the arrival of the JMD-1
I wouldn't be surprised if its preamp section ends up becoming the JMP-2

Yeah, but the JMP-1 is actually a real, physical preamp circuit. The only thing it needs a computer to do is call up patches. The POD HD relies on that computer to make sound.

Nightdare said:
Julia said:

But the JMP-1 was developed in 1992(ish?) while the HD has a computer in it more powerful then was available at the time of the JMP-1's introduction
I'm betting the JMD-1 doesn't have this problem :wink:

Edit:
When thinking about it, with the arrival of the JMD-1
I wouldn't be surprised if its preamp section ends up becoming the JMP-2

I actually owned a JMD-1 for a short period of time. I had fell in love with the JMP-1 & thought the same thing about the preamp of the JMD-1 being like a JMP-1 & I can tell you honestly, & without a doubt that amp was not even close to how awesome the JMP-1 was. It was a pretty big let down.

Msfortin said:
I actually owned a JMD-1 for a short period of time. I had fell in love with the JMP-1 & thought the same thing about the preamp of the JMD-1 being like a JMP-1 & I can tell you honestly, & without a doubt that amp was not even close to how awesome the JMP-1 was. It was a pretty big let down.

That wouldn't stop a marketing dept. from using past glory to promote a totally different thing
(For those into synthesizers: queue "The Roland Jupiter 80")

Looking at current and future technology, I think the JMP-1 has gone the way of the dodo

MsFortin..we areon the same page.

I tried a Marshall JMD-1 and I thought it was ME!!!!!!!!!!

..nothing sounded organic or playable to my ears. I am really into the playability of sounds..and I just didnt hear that at all. Oh well...
Marshall has lots of other really cool amps.

PS: was it just MY JMP-1..or do they all have a hum when they are on?? It doesnt get into the audio..but there was a hum that eminated from the box (and stayed on at all times) whenever the power was switched to on.
I figured it was transformer hum. Any thoughts?

GtrGeorge

Mine did as well, power transformer.

GtrGeorge! said:

..nothing sounded organic or playable to my ears. I am really into the playability of sounds..and I just didnt hear that at all. Oh well...

PS: was it just MY JMP-1..or do they all have a hum when they are on?? It doesnt get into the audio..but there was a hum that eminated from the box (and stayed on at all times) whenever the power was switched to on.

GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:

GtrGeorge

I know it wasn't you Gtrgeorge!! You know, the JMD-1 kind of reminded me of something like a Digitech, Boss, or Zoom floor preamp/processors. It was the weirdest thing, & the effects were horrible too. Did you think so too? (& i know Marshall has better effects because I have an absolutely amazing JFX-1 effects unit) Very odd coming from Marshall. I actually think I know why tho, first, it is not made in England like their flagship tube amps are, 2nd, there is a 3rd party company involved in that one called "Softube" who designed the "modeling" for the digital preamp.

Djdayson is also right about the hum, happens on all of them, or at least it did on the 2 that I have owned in the past. Nothing that affects to signal or anything which is good.

Msfortin said:
(& i know Marshall has better effects because I have an absolutely amazing JFX-1 effects unit)

Still have one of those lying around (couldn't unload it since it would lose its wet signal at times, probably empty battery)
And that indeed had some very warm effects

Djdayson is also right about the hum, happens on all of them, or at least it did on the 2 that I have owned in the past. Nothing that affects to signal or anything which is good.

I have a similar hum on my Rocktron Piranha, where it (aparently as well)comes from the toroidal transformer

Latest posts