SPAM: Alice In Chains Album

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got it yesterday, but have been listening to it for the past week or two on youtube. I am very impressed by this release; AIC made a great comeback. I don't listen to much AIC, but i think they are a great band. Although the album had a great sound, nothing can beat their first few albums. Layne had a unique voice that set AIC apart from other bands. Songs like Heaven Beside You, Angry Chair, Man in Box, Them Bones, Dam the River, Grind, and Would? just can't be beat...not without Layne...imo.

But despite his absence, the band came back with a incredible release...and hopefully they have more to come.

My favorite songs on the album are Your Decision, Last of my Kind, Check My Brain, Black Gives Way To Blue, Acid Bubble, Private Hell, and When the Sun Rose Again (yes....just about the entire album). My favorite out of all of them would probably have to be Your Decision, but with an album this great, it is hard to pick out just one.

Now i am excited for the release of Breed 77's new album, Insects, on November 2nd. The two newest songs, The Battle of Hatin and Wake Up (Despierta), sound great:

http://www.myspace.com/breed77

Hatin is in the music player and Despierta is in the video player. Hatin should be free for download...it is one of the links under the music player.

Sorry for going off on a tangent. AIC is great and have released a truly great album. I thought it was cool that Elton John did the piano part on the title track. It must have been really hard for the band to write and record this song...but it is good they got some of their bottled up emotions about Layne released in a safe way.

R.I.P Layne Staley

The new AIC record is just great. I have been missing those minor second harmonies for a long time. All the songs on the album are killer. The only thing is that I cant tell if Jerry or the New guy is singing. It sounds like Jerry has more to do with the vocal this time out.

Dirtdog said:
The new AIC record is just great. I have been missing those minor second harmonies for a long time. All the songs on the album are killer. The only thing is that I cant tell if Jerry or the New guy is singing. It sounds like Jerry has more to do with the vocal this time out.
Ya, it seems like Jerry is doing a lot of the vocals, but after a while you can distinguish b/t him and DuVall. I believe the verse to Last of My Kind is DuVall's singing. Although he doesn't have the same unique tone that Layne had, he is a pretty good singer and imo is a great addition to the band.

I LOVE this cd. I hope they let William "open it up" a little more next time around. His performance on this cd was great, but I'll agree that Jerry overshadowed him a bit.

nothingeined said:
The riff to "Check My Brain" is so easy but sounds so heavy lol.
The requirement for good music isn't that it be difficult or complicated. The requirement for good music is that it be good. :D

Zander said:
nothingeined said:
The riff to "Check My Brain" is so easy but sounds so heavy lol.
The requirement for good music isn't that it be difficult or complicated. The requirement for good music is that it be good. :D
Well if that is the case....then the requirement for good music is that the eye of the beholder perceives the music as good. So with that in mind, the requirement of good music could indeed be its complexity. "Good" is subjective, so everyone will have their own requirements of good music.

I am not in any way trying to put down AIC....the new album is great. I am just trying to follow your logic.

I like a song that has a good beat and captivating lyrics, but i also believe that a song that is as plain as dirt is not going to rank as high as a song with a complex technical and musical aspect. This does not mean that they are not both good songs....but i personally like songs that have some complexity and show true musicianship.

Just another 0.02$ contribution to the pot.

I was never a huge Alice in Chains fan, but am liking this album. What a way to return to the scene!

I've been a HUGE Alice nut for years. Jerry Cantrell was the reason I got into Bogner amps before I settled on the MTS stuff. Degradation Trip (Cantrell's 2 disc solo album) is probably one of the greatest albums ever written.

I'm actually seeing Alice in Chains tonight at Nokia Live with Puddle of Mudd, and Chevelle. I can't friggin' wait!

The album is terrible. Sounds just like the Cantrell solo album because it is a solo album. He is the prominent voice on everything.

schlagdog said:
The album is terrible. Sounds just like the Cantrell solo album because it is a solo album. He is the prominent voice on everything.

Keep listening. I don't think you've heard it enough. If you had, you'd realize that William sings a lot more than you think. But I agree - it sounds a lot like Jerry's solo work - mainly because he wrote it.

Did you ever hear Williams band before AIL? He sang nothing like he does now. His band was really really good. Cantrell is even in the lead singer center stage position now live.

schlagdog said:
Did you ever hear Williams band before AIL?

AIL? :roll:

Yeah - CWTF was good stuff too. I saw them when they were touring with Jerry during the Boggy Depot days. I wish I had their cds.

I know it's been awhile since the original post. I just wanted to add that this CD is STILL heavy in my rotation since it was released. It really is a great album. Holds up very with Staley to me.

Latest posts