SYN-50 Line Out ... post power section?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgadwa

Reaction score
So I recently moved up from a SYN-1 to a SYN-50. Is the Line Out tapped post power section? In other words, when I send the Line Out signal to my DAW, should I be using a power amp simulation + speaker IR or just the speaker IR cause the SYN-50 is already giving its power amp mojo?

Thanks!

So I recently moved up from a SYN-1 to a SYN-50. Is the Line Out tapped post power section? In other words, when I send the Line Out signal to my DAW, should I be using a power amp simulation + speaker IR or just the speaker IR cause the SYN-50 is already giving its power amp mojo?

Thanks!
I'm not sure but I guess a good way to test it would be to hook up an XLR cable from the amp to your audio interface and record a track in your daw, make adjustments to the density and presence controls as you play a bit and see if the changes in those settings show up in the recording. I guess I should try it out myself as I have the same question. Good luck!

I'm not sure but I guess a good way to test it would be to hook up an XLR cable from the amp to your audio interface and record a track in your daw, make adjustments to the density and presence controls as you play a bit and see if the changes in those settings show up in the recording. I guess I should try it out myself as I have the same question. Good luck!
As I think about it more I'm not sure this would be accurate. Without seeing a schematic, it would be hard to tell. Anybody else got anything?

No the line out is defiantly tapped right after the pre-amp. This may help explain what's going on: A guitar amplifier has two discreet parts. the pre-amp does exactly that, it pre-amplifies the minuscule signal coming out of your guitar up to line level. It is the definition of what a pre-amp does. next the signal is passed to the power amp. The power amp is your big tubes (6L6, EL34 etc) and their sole purpose is to take the now line level signal and make it strong enough to drive the humongous magnets of the speak cab drivers. Fun fact about the guitar amps. In MOST cases (there is a whole lot that affects this) the power amp section provides very little to the overall tone. Even in your classic "cranked" amps like Marshall JCMs and the like are getting like 90% of their tone from the pre-amp. In other words there really isn't even very much reason to "emulate" the power amp section because it aint doin a whole lot. Most people simply take the pre-amp line out and send it straight away into cab simulation. The speaker sim will contribute MUCH more than the slight compression and growl cookin' power amps give!

Another fun fact about the pre-amp line out is that you can take this signal an run it directly into the power amp of another guitar amplifier since that is the type of signal it is expecting it allows you to sort of mix and match amps and is sort of the entire concept behind the Synergy ecosystem. To accomplish this you utilize the EFX loop ret as your power amp in and the EFX send is the "line out" on the amp who's pre you want to use.

Another very cool thing to realize is that if you use pedals, "pre-amp" pedals do exactly what they say they do. They pre (pre?) amplify your guitar signal and we just learned that pre-amps, you guessed it, spit out line lvl signals. Therefore many pre-amp pedals work well, if not better when tapped directly into a power amp. A perfect example of this is the Boss Metal Zone pedal. Totally sucks in front of an amp (IMO), but is pure metal magic directly into the power amp.

hopefully this sheds some light and helps!

No the line out is defiantly tapped right after the pre-amp. This may help explain what's going on: A guitar amplifier has two discreet parts. the pre-amp does exactly that, it pre-amplifies the minuscule signal coming out of your guitar up to line level. It is the definition of what a pre-amp does. next the signal is passed to the power amp. The power amp is your big tubes (6L6, EL34 etc) and their sole purpose is to take the now line level signal and make it strong enough to drive the humongous magnets of the speak cab drivers. Fun fact about the guitar amps. In MOST cases (there is a whole lot that affects this) the power amp section provides very little to the overall tone. Even in your classic "cranked" amps like Marshall JCMs and the like are getting like 90% of their tone from the pre-amp. In other words there really isn't even very much reason to "emulate" the power amp section because it aint doin a whole lot. Most people simply take the pre-amp line out and send it straight away into cab simulation. The speaker sim will contribute MUCH more than the slight compression and growl cookin' power amps give!

Another fun fact about the pre-amp line out is that you can take this signal an run it directly into the power amp of another guitar amplifier since that is the type of signal it is expecting it allows you to sort of mix and match amps and is sort of the entire concept behind the Synergy ecosystem. To accomplish this you utilize the EFX loop ret as your power amp in and the EFX send is the "line out" on the amp who's pre you want to use.

Another very cool thing to realize is that if you use pedals, "pre-amp" pedals do exactly what they say they do. They pre (pre?) amplify your guitar signal and we just learned that pre-amps, you guessed it, spit out line lvl signals. Therefore many pre-amp pedals work well, if not better when tapped directly into a power amp. A perfect example of this is the Boss Metal Zone pedal. Totally sucks in front of an amp (IMO), but is pure metal magic directly into the power amp.

hopefully this sheds some light and helps!
Thanks for posting! Recently this place has been nothing but a yard sale for modules.

Latest posts