TC Nova System and the MTS

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia

Reaction score
Having recently had two power tubes blow on my Lynch Box, I decided to remove the Hot Plate; pull everything out of the loop; and dial tone with the knobs. I found out exactly how much the EB Line Level Shifter's 15 db PAD sucked the life out of the tone. I'm essentially plugged straight in except for a TS808.

This meant redialing everything. Keeping the master around 2:00 seems to allow the PI to do some nice things tonally, but I'm adjusting the overall channel volumes with the level knobs on the modules.

I miss my delay. I mean I really miss it. I miss my chorus for clean work. I did however find out that the ISP Decimator G-string is designed for + 11 dbu so I can still use that. However, the Boss stomp boxes won't handle the level of the FX loops

This said, I'm looking for a MFX unit that can handle it. I noticed the TC Nova System can. It's got everything on it I'll ever use. So my board would look like this:

Peterson Tuner -> TS808 -> Amp -> (send) -> dbx 131 (rack EQ) -> Nova System -> (return).

Simple. Fewer wires. One wall wart.

anyone use one with the Randall MTS? Thoughts?

Few things:

1) the line level shifter actually works really well. When I hooked mine up, it didn't seem to be 'right' but one way was a LOT louder than the other. I went with the louder one and it was awesome for pedals in the loop.

2) There are some good line level pedals too - Boss DD20(delay) sounds awesome in the loop, Boss CE20 (chorus), etc.

I need to test my Line 6 M13 with the Randall gear. I gigged with it and a '95 SLO (that has a line level loop that is finickier than the MTS ones) and it sounded great. Was able to set it where I had some fx in front of the amp, some in the loop... so I had a tube screamer or wah in front, and then chorus, delay and reverb in the loop. If you can take your amp with you to try stuff out, go to a L6 dealer and give the M13 a run through, you might be really surprised.

Pete

I can do that Pete. It's just that there's been a $200 price drop on the Nova System making it comparable in price to the M13. I will want to check the two out against each other. The store carries both and I think they might even have a Nova System in stock. I know they have a M13. I've heard the M13 and it's a very nice unit.

The Boss DD20 and the Boss (fancy shmancy) Chorus and Flanger together will cost as much as the Nova System and more than the M13.

I have a TC Helicon Voice Live I use for live singing and it's pretty easy to use, and has overkill in the number of presets. The price drop thing again. They were coming out with Voice Live 2 a couple months later. So I'm guessing Nova System 2 is in the works.

Please explain how you used your Line Level Shifter in greater detail.

I'm sorry, I thought you meant the higher end TC setup. The Nova is cool, but you'll have to put it in the fx loop only and then use your pedals in front, but you already knew that. Sounds like that may be the ideal setup for you. Something else I've used in the past that worked well was a yamaha DG stomp - you could turn off the amp and cab sims, it made for a very compact delay with tap tempo, chorus and reverb.

Using the Ebtech gizmo, I would hook it up how it sounded the loudest. It's been awhile since I used it, but I seem to recall hooking it up like you would THINK it would go seemed to be much lower output. I used mine to run a bunch of pedals in the loop and it worked fine for that, I just got tired of having 12+ pedals on a giant pedaltrain pro board.

Pete

I messed around with the Nova Delay recently. It sounds amazing, and the bypass is amazing. No change in your tone or signal at all between engaged and not engaged. I don't know how this compares to the Nova System, but I was really impressed.

The problem I had with it - which I'm sure given some time with it I could work out - was that it is not intuitive and plug and play. There are a lot variables and I had somewhat of a problem taming the mix volume, the repeats, etc... it sounds great, but is not plug and play. I did play it through a series loop though...obviously a parallel loop enables the mix volume to be dialed in much easier.

Since I was only after some delay, I ended up with an EH #1 Echo and MXR Carbon Copy for less...however, it sounds like the NOVA System offers way more for the price though...

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but since it came up, I have a question:

Does the Line 6 M13 require a line level shifter or can it just be run in the loop on its own? The spec on their web site said it was -10 db.

It looks like you'd need the Line Level Shifter for the M13, Boss GT-Pro, and most others.

If the Nova System can't do this, it looks like I'll be stuck with the G-major and will need a midi-pedal switch. A lot of money to use about three effects....

I might just say "screw it" and add effects post production in Pro Tools, and just play the amp straight live.

let me know if you need one... I manage a store out here in NY... i have many refrences on rig talk...

ps - i dig the nova , its pretty cool!

my only concern is gigging out with the Nova. Wouldn't a G-Major with a midi/expression pedal give you the same, (perhaps more) effect options with less cabling/noise issues than a stand alone unit on the floor?

I'm in the market looking for effects options as well. whats the best rack mounted effects processor under $700?

Jimmie

I've kind of given up on the thought. I've got some medical bills that came in. Yikes. National healthcare would be nice.

Anyway, I'm thinking I might just plug straight in and apply all effects post production. That would save a bundle.

Bewitagos1 said:
I'm in the market looking for effects options as well. whats the best rack mounted effects processor under $700?

Jimmie

TC G Major has been working out great for me. Great value for really top quality effects. You need some tweaking, because like most units, the factory presets are crap.
Really transparent, that's what I like about it. Doesn't mess up the original tones of the RM100 much, and when you an MTS amp, you want the amp's original signal as much as possible, cos' it's an awesome tone, man!