To feel or not to feel

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also take out that HUSH
It might just be that the output of the pinch harmonics on the other modules but the Camerock is too low to open the gate
(though that would be nullified by opening the module/RM4 volume(s) more)

So after some playing and testing, I'm reporting that I found a couple things that are interesting.

I followed Marco's advice and swap the V1 tube for an old Baldwin I had laying around, great tube. I actually took the 3 tubes of the RM4 out and just used the V1 since the other 2 are for the fx loop output. This made a lot of difference and the feel is there right where I was expecting it to be initially.
The RM4 definitely sounds better with the modules open (each module about 1 or 2) AND with the RM4 master output at about 1 also.
Thanks Marco!!

While doing this tube swap I found out that looking at the RM4 from the back, V1 is the one on the bottom, the one to the top right is the pre loop output and the one to the top left is the post loop output. At least that's what it seems to be since while testing the V1 without the other tubes the volume dropped considerably.

Now, this is where I think I had the problem, as I am trying to maintain the same output level as the other preamps so I can switch back and forth between them, I had to keep the RM4's master output really low as it is REALLY LOUD compared to the MP1, Hence why I'm using the Rocktron to control the level of each preamp.
So to overcome this I'm using the fx send of the MP1 set at max and the Rocktron's ouput set at -10db, this way both preamps have the same overall output feeding the Rocktron while maintaining the modules' and the RM4's ouputs at 7 o'clock and giving me the option to control the input to the 5153's fx return with the Rocktron's output level.

At this point I reckon that someone will say why don't I get a line mixer, well I'm actually trying to downsize and I don't want to get more gear with lots of cables and connections etc. My goal was to have the RM4 replace my Quad and the MP1 and use the 5153 as a power with the option to use it's own pre of course. So far the Quad is out already, anyway this would make a discussion for another thread I guess.

Nightdare: Thanks for the HUSH advise, the HUSH was already off in all my presets and above that I run the Rocktron with the PRE hush routing, so I believe this wasn't the problem, specially because it's the exact same way I use it for my other preamps.

Suphuckers: Indeed, seems that the other modules are not for me. ;)

Now a new question arises: Is there any pro/cons to run the RM4 with ONLY the V1 tube? I don't use the fx loop of the RM4 and the lower output without that output tube seems to work better for me.
Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the comments! They have been really helpfull.

Any ideas/comments about running the RM4 without the 12AX7 of the fx loop?

I don't have an RM4 j4q0 so I cant help, but I wanted you to know someone was paying attention ;) I was going to suggest tho that you keep the effects loop in play... Do you have some pretty good rack device that you could put in the loop to lower the output? On my RM100 I have an awesome (old) EQ that I'm flirting the idea of running it at something a little less than unity. It lets me crank the amp up without blowing me out of the house. It (so far, but I'm still testing) seems to be maintaining a pretty nice tone with the EQ (set flat) in the loop. ...but the output cut back just a tiny bit.

Thanks for the tip. I'm actually using a Rocktron only for delays, with that I'm controlling the output that goes into the power, it works pretty well as it is setup pre-hush so all the signal is maintained clean with no alteration/coloration.
It's crazy how many steps are involved in making the MTS setup sound as one feels it should, but then again every guitar player has a different idea in their heads as to what that "right" tone/feel is.
:D

I suggest you check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KghDaWxZIYE
It is Marco's demo of a JF Silverado from another post. You can hear that he easily gets harmonics out of his MTS rig.

Because you probably already have all the amp you need in the 5153! Rock that blue channel.

I saw the video, great playing and what a tone, really enjoyed it a lot :D
After trying the suggestions I got from the responses my RM4 definitely feels more natural and the harmonics come out quite nicely.

It's true about the 5153, it's a great amp though I'm not 100% happy with the cleans and the volume jump between Ch1 and Ch2 is just annoying. I wish the amp had independent gain and volume controls for each of these channels, I know there are some mods available for this already, to bad nothing here in Canada.

I am picking up a Tremoverb tomorrow. I bought one new in 1995 and have missed it ever since I sold it in 2000. I am excited to A/B it with the RM100 this weekend.

eyeball987 said:
I am picking up a Tremoverb tomorrow. I bought one new in 1995 and have missed it ever since I sold it in 2000. I am excited to A/B it with the RM100 this weekend.

Totally cool! I love those amps. I almost landed on one last March before getting into MTS. I think I would look back that way myself if I went to a regular head again.

Head or combo?

nitrous12 said:
eyeball987 said:

Totally cool! I love those amps. I almost landed on one last March before getting into MTS. I think I would look back that way myself if I went to a regular head again.

Head or combo?

Head. I am driving 2 hours to pick it up and paying a little more than a combo that was just posted on my local CL but, I like the idea of the head better and it has the same cosmetics and is from the same year as the one I miss.

Latest posts