top boost question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northwood

Reaction score
hey guys,
Im new here and maybe this a stoooopid question but, I have 2 topbboost modules that came an a sale to me, and they both seem to be oversaturated no matter how low I keep the gains.
Ive swapped out the tubes as well
is this the way they were designed to be?
thnx a bunch

jack

From what Ive read, yes. It is a more saturated version of the Super V. Ive also read it takes a small mod to bring down the gain.

Yep, that's the way they were designed. Some people love them.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you could perform the mod at the link below to tame the gain.
http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-modifications.html

The resistor at R7 is what will make the biggest difference because it shunts to ground. Personally, I would leave the capacitors in place because they help shape the tone. The mod calls for a 100k resistor at R7, but you could experiment with different values ranging from 33k to 470k. The larger the resistor the more gain you retain.

Since you have two modules, you could make up two different versions to vary your "vox" tones.

Hope this helps and good luck! :wink:

Yeah, they are a very crunchy Vox type sound. I dig it..but it isnt low gain, thats for sure!!!
GtrGeorge

Yes, that poor module has WAY too much gain!
Put an Electro Harmonix 12AY7 tube in V1 (the tube on the left facing the module from the front with the knobs). This will bring the gain down on any module by nearly half. I use them with all of my clean modules.

Also, the Super V is a much cleaner Vox module.
Jaded Faith and Salvation also have custom, modified modules that deliver the best VOX tones available to MTS.

Best of luck,
Jace

After the mod or changing that tube the module can get clean with the gain at a minimum?