Treadplate/Recto/donor

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riculus

Reaction score
Man...can someone tell me the difference between a Treadplate and a Recto?
I have a Treadplate from JF and I'm looking for a donor Treadplate for another JF mod for my RM4. If the Recto is the same thing with a different name on it due to trademark than it opens up the market. Ive looked around and see that there may been some "changes" made. I'll post this in another thread so don't smash it admins.

I think the Recto, Rectified, and Treadplate are all built on the same board, but there are circuit differences between them. People praise the Rectified (and possibly the Recto as well) as being close to the quality of modded modules. The Treadplate is pretty universally despised.

Dont leave out the Grail. All modules mention should work for the same mod easily. There is only one modder I know that will only request a Treadplate for his mod. I think it is because he has not researched the small differences in them. The Rectified is my fav Rectifier module, sounds great without modding.

WOW. Thanks for the early feedback guys. Still up in the air though. Someone on here referred to modules as being "snowflakes" and it must hold true. I have a JF Treadplate (early model) running through a VHT 2502/G-Force/Marshall 1960 and absolutely love the tone. Iv'e gotten so many complements after gigs from patrons and musicians that I'll never get rid of it. I am, however, looking for another for my RM4 to tweak a different/ similar sound out of.....can't wrap my head around the best tone I've ever had (15 years live) being universally despised....?

I think the stock version is what's despised universally. I have heard that it sounds very dark and flubby. However a JF modded Treadplate is practically a whole new ball game modded for clarity and punch, which I've been led to believe the stocker version lacks. Erect seems like what you're looking for, and it doesn't necessarily require a recto-y donor. Just no cleans or XTC. Technically you could send him a Plexi, SL+, 1086, Brahma, KH2/3, Modern, any of the Ultras, the rectoids, etc etc. If you want to base mod something for a similar yet different tone, you could even send him the same stocker (Treadplate) and request a specific difference (tighter, darker, brighter, etc.) just my twopence.

I still don't know what Randall R n D were thinking when they designed these modules emphasizing the lows (flub) and lack of highs (flat). Maybe this is why MTS really didn't take off... the tones coming out of most stockers were not matching the real deal. The Lynch stuff was probably the lines saving grace but even at that, those modules can use some tweaks..