Tube Switching

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riculus

Reaction score
Pretty good read on the subject.
http://fryetteamps.wordpress.com/

Now from an engineering PoV this may be true as a ringing bell

Here's the kicker though:
Which engineer deliberately builds an amp to distort?
It's bad for components and it's inefficient use of power

an engineer as described by Fryette building a guitaramp would by his account
be comparable to a Priest saying "****" during a sermon

Who gives a crap 6L6 aren't supposed to be put in EL34 powerd amps
It works, if it does what you want it to do, you use it

I wonder what fryette would think of "You really got me" by The Kinks if he designed speakers

What he's saying is you hear what you what to hear aka (lying to yourself).

the results would be so skewed that you wouldn?t know what changes are attributable to the tube character and which are due to flat out incompatibility.

Yet any EL34 placed into any 6L6 amp will change to the same type of character EL34s are known for

so do all those amps suffer from the same incompatiblity?

I think this is a puritan statement of his, which to some degree rings very true but everything relative and depends on the desired result.
1) At lower volume most octals can be run in any octal socket amps, at least for some time. The differences there may be is attributed to the resistors of the grids and the transformers. Obviously the PT will have to take the filament current or it will blow.

2) You may argue you can design an amp around a specific type, even from a specific manufacturer on a) electrical operating points and b) tonally for a certain effect or that the frequency bands don't overbear. Then some Marshall JTM-45s w. KT66s did have OTs matched for EL34 output impedance and were thought of as the best sounding of its type.

Well... Alls I know on this is switching from the el34 side of my rt2/50 to the 6550 side with the same preamp and similar volume, presence, and density running ...

It sounds quite different. So whatever...

joey_truelove said:
I think this is a puritan statement of his, which to some degree rings very true but everything relative and depends on the desired result.

Exactly

Guitaramps are 'designed' to do something amps normaly aren't supposed to do

or maybe I should put it "They are used in a way they weren't made for"
after which ampbuilders started to design around that

If Mr. Fryette would like to get his point across, I would like to see one simple example:
Reliability of a dedicated (for instance) EL34 amp vs an amp that was built for 6L6 but outfitted with EL34's

To add injury to insult: So the 2/90/2 is so crapilly built it can't even handle different tubes? ;)

Mr. Fryette can state 'from an engineering PoV', but 60 years of Rock 'n Roll couldn't give a Rat's *** about that