Twin and Deluxe in Pushed mode same on Twin Face?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
drewiv, who is one of the pleasantest dudes you'll ever encounter, was nice enough to loan me his Twin Face module so I could give it a try. It's truly a superb module, and very versatile at that. I noticed that the Pushed mode on it seems to sound the same whether or not you're in Twin or Deluxe mode. Can anybody who has had experience with this module tell me whether that's by design?

hyenik said:
because this is three channel mod
Twin, Deluxe and Pushed
Well. There you go. lol. I wondered the same thing.

Thanks for the kind words above, Max. I just try to help people out. I suspect most people around these parts would do the same. Seriously, the friendliest forum I've ever been on. I remember when I first started, Hilly and the Mailman were so helpful to me. I just try to pass it on and feed the addiction.

rhequiem said:
+1 on Drew being a super-cool cat! Drew, if you feel like letting someone else borrow that Twin Face, let me know ;)
You know I would, dude. It's simple with him as he is local, no shipping charges/worries. I lent it to him because I read his post asking questions about it and the Voodoo mod. The Twin Face was returned to me after a sale with a bad "mojo" switch and it was going back to Salvation for repair with my second batch of dualies. Max confirmed the "mojo" switch works just fine and it was the volume jump that had the last buyer concerned. Not broken, just has to be dialed in significantly different for the different modes. Beeing friendly pays off. Max confirming everything with the mod being okay saved me shipping and custom charges to Europe. Let this be a lesson to all of you, good karma really does pay off. :)

drewiv said:
Max confirmed the "mojo" switch works just fine and it was the volume jump that had the last buyer concerned. Not broken, just has to be dialed in significantly different for the different modes.

So when the Mojo switch is referred to as a "crystal/warm" switch, that's something of a misnomer? To my ear, Mojo down and Vol on 5 is tonally identical to Mojo up and Vol on 10, no EQ difference at all. If anything, I would say that the Mojo behaves more like a "pushed" switch and the Pushed switch has more of a "crystal/warm" effect.

iekobrid said:
drewiv said:
Max confirmed the "mojo" switch works just fine and it was the volume jump that had the last buyer concerned. Not broken, just has to be dialed in significantly different for the different modes.

So when the Mojo switch is referred to as a "crystal/warm" switch, that's something of a misnomer? To my ear, Mojo down and Vol on 5 is tonally identical to Mojo up and Vol on 10, no EQ difference at all. If anything, I would say that the Mojo behaves more like a "pushed" switch and the Pushed switch has more of a "crystal/warm" effect.
Guess who thought of this switch? I'll give you one try. ;)

There is definitly a tonal change, not simply gain.
But perhaps it is in the combination with your rig that it's not that apparant.

It's really meant as a "humbucker / single coil" switch, so the warm mode has a little more gain and warmer / less sharpness. If you try the switch playing a humbucker it would be less apparent since there's less sharpness anyway, but with a single I definitly notice an EQ change as well. Not huge no, but exactly right to me. :)

m0jo said:

It's certainly possible. :)

But the apparent 100% increase in volume -- that's intentional?

iekobrid said:
m0jo said:

That's certainly possible. :)

But the apparent 100% increase in volume -- that's intentional?
On one side a byproduct of the technique, on the other side it's pretty nice when you switch from big humbucker to normal single coil. Especially live it supports a quick changearound.

I could be wrong, but to me it seemed like the tone was a little more bright and cutting when I had the mojo switch turned on and the gain down around 3 compared to mojo switch off with gain up around 7 or 8.

It's quite possible that the EQ difference in the Mojo switch is more apparent at higher master volumes. I was playing between 1 and 2 AM, trying not to wake anyone. :D

Whoopysnorp said:
I could be wrong, but to me it seemed like the tone was a little more bright and cutting when I had the mojo switch turned on and the gain down around 3 compared to mojo switch off with gain up around 7 or 8.
Bright switch on? The bright switch on passes high freqs around the gain pot, so lower gain means the resulting effect of the bright switch is much greater.

m0jo said:
Bright switch on? The bright switch on passes high freqs around the gain pot, so lower gain means the resulting effect of the bright switch is much greater.

Ah, good point. Yes, I did have the bright switch on.

Say, which real life amp is generally considered to be the fuller sounding of the two: a Twin or a Deluxe? I've played through a 65RI Twin a few times, but never a Deluxe.

The reason I ask is because I've got a stock Deluxe module, a stock Blackface (Twin) module, and two modded modules that switch between Deluxe and Twin modes, and in each pairing of sounds there's always one that sounds chime-ier and one that sounds fuller, but those sounds don't always correspond to the same amp. Like, on one mod the Twin setting is thinner and the Deluxe is boomier, then on the other mod the opposite is true.

I own an old Twin w/ two 12"EV SROs and a Deluxe w/one 12" something or another. The Twin is unbelievably full sounding and my ears will bleed before that sucker will ever break up. The deluxe starts to break up at around 4 or 5. It is a different kind of full sound. I would say that all round, the Twin is the fuller sounding of the two.