What is Similar to a Sovtek EL84

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Napalm

Reaction score
I have a LB head an an RM20. I actually like the tone I get out of the RM20 and it has Sovtek El84's in it. What would be comparable to those tubes. The LB has EL34L's in it now, looks like the stock JJ tubes.

Looking at changing out Power Tubes and wondered what might be comparable to what is in the RM20.

Jack Napalm said:
I have a LB head an an RM20. I actually like the tone I get out of the RM20 and it has Sovtek El84's in it. What would be comparable to those tubes. The LB has EL34L's in it now, looks like the stock JJ tubes.

Looking at changing out Power Tubes and wondered what might be comparable to what is in the RM20.

If you really like 84's then you could buy some yellow jacket converters which would enable you to use them in your Lynch Box. With the yellow jackets you could experiment with some nos tubes also as 84's are relatively cheap in comparison to say the nos 34's.
You might end up missing the low end thump of the 34's though. The volume drop will be noticeable although going into smooth grindy saturation earlier at lower volumes is a real winner.

Julia said:
Keep in mind Yellow Jackets aren't exactly cheap.

One of the reasons for the question. I had looked at these but haven't decided to bite that bullet. Just yet.