What is the greatest module (modded/not) you've ever heard?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
Mine would be Salvation's Mashall...That thing can do it all...His Stonerverb is a close second but not as versatile...

I also really dig my Jaded Faith Ultra XL too although I'm still experimenting with different tubes to find the right combo...SHe's a little loose sounding right now...

What else? Greatest can mean versatility or one great tone...Either one...

I look forward to your answers... :)

So far it's a toss up between Salvation's MarkUs and Angel. The Angel can sound huge and ballsy (powerballish) to thin and bright, it also cleans up pretty well with just the volume knob on the guitar. The MarkUs is just right on! Can you say TIGHT? When I play the MarkUs I swear I sometimes hear the notes before I play them. TIGHT yet ballsy.

Mine, so far, would be my Dr. Feelgood. It's incredibly versatile, from clean to crunch to saturated SLO drive. Plus all the switches (bite, voicing, etc), it has an incredible amount of diversity. My updated Stonerverb should be arriving today or tomorrow, so we'll see how that affects my positioning of the Dr. Feelgood. Also, Anthony has a module of mine that he'll be turning into a Mash-All. It will be wonderful being torn between which of the wonderful tones are my favorite hehe My 2nd favorite right now would have to be my Gigmods Modern. It gets some nice modern saturated tones.

metalheadx05 said:
So far it's a toss up between Salvation's MarkUs and Angel. The Angel can sound huge and ballsy (powerballish) to thin and bright, it also cleans up pretty well with just the volume knob on the guitar. The MarkUs is just right on! Can you say TIGHT? When I play the MarkUs I swear I sometimes hear the notes before I play them. TIGHT yet ballsy.

Do you find you can get a really good Marshall type tone out of your Angel? I had one and was surprised it could pull that off so well while still being able to pack a full punch...

Mattfig said:
metalheadx05 said:

Do you find you can get a really good Marshall type tone out of your Angel? I had one and was surprised it could pull that off so well while still being able to pack a full punch...

I just got the Angel about a week ago so I am still in my honeymoon stage. I have a "fully loaded" one with the noise gate, gain (+/-), contour, mid shift, and balls switches. All these do make significant tonal changes. With the "balls" switch it makes it seem more like a Powerball (ballsier than a triple rec). I was able to dial in a Marshall type of tone but not much of a fan. I have a Benzin as well which does that better IMO. Benzin sounds like the perfect Marshall since I always thought Marshall was weak in the low end section.

No doubt, for me - Salvation Matchvox.
Strong character, so many nice tones, fantastic natural compression....simply Crunch Paradise.
And ingenious faceplate

Matchvox_right.JPG

I need to try a Mashall. My gain modules are all pretty much Marshall based but to afford a Mashall I would need to unload a couple and I don't want to do that because I really like them all.

What modules can be turned into a Mashall and what is the cost?

There's not much that can't be done with the Salvation Mashall. From clean to uber drive and everything in between. I actually sold my LoneClean module because I was so happy with the clean channel in the Mashall.

My Salvation Custom3 has more searing high gain and cut and is VERY clean. It also has quite a few tone options with two channels and lots of switches.

I've always loved the stock XTC. I've heard some mods that sounded good, but didn't sound like an XTC anymore. The Jeff Hilly XTC mod kept the character and just cleaned up the signal path. It's much cleaner now and seems to have just a bit less gain. Great for the brown sound and under. Very articulate and organic sounding.

I have a Jaded Faith modified Blackface module that has a pull-out knob on the gain that switches to the Tweed (Bassman) mode. Both sounds are great. I've always loved the Bassman for clean tones. The Stock Tweed module is really nice, it just doesn't clean up enough. Great for SRV tones though. The Tweed in an RM20 is really nice! You can set the module fairly clean and then use the boost switch to kick up the gain. Same goes for the Plexi stock module and the RM20.

I've always really liked the stock Ultra module. The XL, not as much. However I found it to be a bit noisy so I never bought one. However I'm having an Ultra modified as an Ultra Dragon right now. From the clips I've heard this thing is going to be a monster!

Wanted to add a nod to my Salvado Deluxe...I can get EVERYTHING out of that too...From a really nice Tweed to a fire breathing recto...With all kinds of hot rodded Marshall/Soldano goodness in between....Wow...Everytime I play it I find something totally new....Just a versatile little beauty....

Mattfig said:
Wanted to add a nod to my Salvado Deluxe...I can get EVERYTHING out of that too...From a really nice Tweed to a fire breathing recto...With all kinds of hot rodded Marshall/Soldano goodness in between....Wow...Everytime I play it I find something totally new....Just a versatile little beauty....

This is why I gave my Dr. Feelgood my favorite module award, too. It's so flexible, from crunch to saturated drive - it does it well. My Stonerverb will be here tomorrow, along with my Loneclean, so we'll see if either of those can knock the Feelgood off the top.

I,really like my chubracabra it's 3 position toggle(gain)switch and the growl switch make this thing versatile.I used to own a angel and IMHO I think the chubra is better hands down.When my Mash-all gets done it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the chubra.

Way too hard to choose just one....and when I think I've settled down to my favourite 4, along comes another out of left field...I've been loving the Angel a lot since I got it.

walshinator666 said:
I,really like my chubracabra it's 3 position toggle(gain)switch and the growl switch make this thing versatile.I used to own a angel and IMHO I think the chubra is better hands down.When my Mash-all gets done it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the chubra.

Then you can sell your Chupacabra right to me! Perfect...Sorry, but once you get the Mashall - a love affair begins...The Chupa would be sloppy seconds and you don't want that...Now do ya? :wink:

Hyenik says Matchvox...
and he gets to play EVERYTHING Salvation cooks up.
Doesnt that mean anything around here???????????

I agree with him..the Matchvox will pay the bills everytime..ause if youve got the crunch..Ive got a hunch..it will sit perfectly in the mix and be infintely playable.
Listen to RATM..some heavy,heavy stuff..isnt all that distorted. Or QOTSA..again, the crunch is often what wins the day.
I love the crunch and natural compression of the matchvox.
GtrGeorge

George is right....I used to bury my gain knobs until I realized that the heaviest recorded guitar tone is a layered crunch and not a flubby distortion....SOD had some great tones - maybe Ian will make an SOD module...I read that Scott only used about half of his available gain and that tone is soooooo great to my ears!!!

Salvation Salvado and MarkUs are my favs atm, and I'd honestly also agree on a stock XTC. I've always liked them.

New to the scene here. I am having a couple of modules modded by Anthony @ Salvation. I am going to get the Salvado deluxe and the Markus, but I would like some input from some of the more experienced gearheads on the forum. I play metal, alternative, blues and funk styles. So far, my favorite module has been the stock Ultra module. It really rips and cleans up with the volume knob pretty well. I know modded modules rule, but the stock modules sound pretty good too. Especially with an amp equipped with quality tubes biased correctly. +1 for the Ultra. :twisted: