where to put the NOS tube in modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakeguitar

Reaction score
Ok, so I am getting pretty nice sound with my modules and tubes..

I have 1 more NOS tube to play with, but not sure what slot I should use it in.

My goal is to hopefully just make things a tiny bit more clear, and a bit more 'vintage' sounding.

So PlexiTweed vs Blackface

V1 or V2?

Currently I have

V1 (tungsol), V2 JJ standard in both modules

My NOS tube is a jan philips 12ax7.

I personally think a nice NOS tube is best in the amp V1 or the amp's input tube. If you put it in a module I would suggest module V1 as that has more tonal impact whereas the module V2 is more of a perceived gain thing to my ear...The beauty of MTS is that it's easy to flip around and try anywhere...

Good luck!

Bukak65 said:
Do the NOS tubes make that much of a difference?

Never ending debate.

Let me cut to the chase, only if your budget allows and you have good cables, guitar, speakers, cab, pickups, etc. and know how to use EQ to get subtle changes you prefer. Sometimes a tube will matter that much, but in all honesty, I can think of only a handful of experiences when anyone even cared.

I still like some premium brands but I'm pretty sure I'm just being a petty dork about it.

Lol. My father in law was a engineer at RCA. After being married to his daughter for 18 years he told me that last year he threw away a repairman box of tubes from when he was at RCA. He only kept 6 12ax7's that are new in a box. I could kill him.

Bukak65 said:
Lol. My father in law was a engineer at RCA. After being married to his daughter for 18 years he told me that last year he threw away a repairman box of tubes from when he was at RCA. He only kept 6 12ax7's that are new in a box. I could kill him.
Well, for goodness sake, get those 6 NOS 12AX7s before you kill him.

ok. So far Matt suggests swapping a tungsol for a nos JF in V1...

That's going to be a hard decision, because I really love the sound of it in V1, although I don't think it's perfect.

The Tungsol really seems to hold the sound together well in most modules I've tried out.

NOS tubes should be put in a box and sold in 25 years for 500% profit

Most old tubes can't even handle the high gain of today's amps

If anything: put em in an old Plexi or Twin, the amps that used them

Latest posts