Which Pre Amp tubes do you use?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the actual M4 I have as follows:
V1 TS 12AX7 Gold pin (for low noise and rich harmonics)
V2 EH 12AX7 (for its neutral sound - this is a functional valve)
V3 EH 12AX7 (same as above)

In the following modules I have:
Randall Plexi: V1 & V2 TS 12AX7 (for their fat sound)
Egnater Twin: V1 JJ ECC83, V2 EH 12AT7 (JJ for twang, EH for partially compensating the twang-factor with Lace TranSensors and for evening out the gainfactor of the JJ)

All valves are cryogenically treated.

You must have an early single channel M4. The new M4's have 2 preamp tubes total and no loop.

I'm currently running Tung Sol's in V1 and V2 of my M4.
As for the modules:
ERect: JJ's
SL2: JJ's
EG5, B'Man, T/D: Sovtek WA's
VX: Tung Sol's

When I bought my M4 used it had all EH tubes (M4 and modules). IMO the EH's didn't sound right at all, especially in V1 of the M4.
I'm getting ready to order some different brands to play with. Want to try using different types in V1 and V2 of the mods.

Ugg said:
You must have an early single channel M4. The new M4's have 2 preamp tubes total and no loop.
Yes, that is correct. I have a pre-owned 2002

Ugg said:
When I bought my M4 used it had all EH tubes (M4 and modules). IMO the EH's didn't sound right at all, especially in V1 of the M4.
Technically nothing wrong about the EH, but the rather low harmonic content, dynamics and the rolled off highs doesn't qualify it as a toneshaping valve. Of this reason I would never put it in the M4 V1 either as this is perhaps the most important valve in the entire amp.

However there is a limit for everything and have you gone over the top with other valves I find it's great for functional purposes or just calm things down (that's why an EH AT7 went into my Twin module). Think of it as a 'safety-valve'.

We should bear in mind our preferences has, among other things, to do with other gear in our signal chain. I like this review/ overview of the 12AX7/ ECC83 series pre-amp valves as a reference. Pretty much tells you where to go to get the tone you're after. http://thetubestore.com/12ax7review.html

they are expensive...but i have been wonderful luck with the jj's gold pin pre's. i usually just use one in the V1 position...and all my issues go away.

There are some modules where the EH just works...I swapped all over the place on my EG3/4..ended up back where I started with the EHat7 in v1 and EHax7 in v2

Favourites are:

TungSol ECC803s
TungSol ax7
New Sensor 'Mullard' re-issue ax7
Chinese ax7 r8 and r9 (I have Ruby, GT and unbranded..all good)
JJ ECC803s
JJ ECC83s..have a gold pin one too, didn't notice to much difference

Did GT ever fix their issues with the mullard 12ax7's? I seem to recall they went microphonic real fast, at least the early ones did.

Pete

okstrat said:
Did GT ever fix their issues with the mullard 12ax7's? I seem to recall they went microphonic real fast, at least the early ones did.

Pete

Dunno..been using the New Sensor ones. I still have 1/3 of my GT 12ax7ms still in use

Hard to beat the gain of the TS's as with Chinese (Ruby, ect.), but can be slightly thin. I think the Tung Sols are very quiet, tight and sound prisine. Standard JJ's and EH's have Less gain but sound fuller, more round. Great all around tubes. But if you want high gain and superior SUSTAIN contact eurotubes.com . They hand select high gain JJ's from stock and have more edge than the standard ECC83S. Almost but not quite the gain of TS's but Huge sustain.. Great soloing tube. 8)

hotlicks2go said:
Hard to beat the gain of the TS's as with Chinese (Ruby, ect.), but can be slightly thin. I think the Tung Sols are very quiet, tight and sound prisine. Standard JJ's and EH's have Less gain but sound fuller, more round. Great all around tubes. But if you want high gain and superior SUSTAIN contact eurotubes.com . They hand select high gain JJ's from stock and have more edge than the standard ECC83S. Almost but not quite the gain of TS's but Huge sustain.. Great soloing tube. 8)
Interesting you say JJs have lower gain. In Myles Rose's project a few years ago JJs scored 112% of the spec'ed gain. All other makes were below 100.

TS?s definitely have more gain than the comparable JJ. (ECC83/12AX7)
Although, the HIGH GAIN JJ?s (Few Percentage) of which have to be hand selected from a stock pile of tubes are closer to that of Tung Sol.

I just picked up a set of Ecc83s to replace the internal tubes (the one in the front is becoming microphonic)
Is there something wrong with my set they are noticeable lower in volume than the stock EH and seemed to lack the sizzle of the original "noisy" tubes???

I want/need a source for quality hi-gain tubes I though the JJ's would be the way to go am I missing something?
I suspect I got shipped some duds. I got the link of my source from the board.
Anyone care to help a brother out?
VR,
///MK

JJs are for use in bright amps. You may like Shuguangs. They're bright. I hate them. Mullards are also bright. I tend to like to tame the beast using lower gain tubes then crank it. I tend to run presence on my 5150 lead channel at zero and resonance at 9:00. Since I haven't received my LB yet and probably won't until after Christmas (unless there's a miracle and it gets here by Wednesday), I don't really know the characteristics of the amp or how I'll end up having it set up.

I'm sitting on a small stash of a few gems:

Two ANOS Mullard 12AX7
One NOS Telefunken 12AX7 (smooth plate)
One NOS JAN GE 5751 -- low noise & happens to be balanced (the other is in the 5150)
One prewar NOS Ei 12AX7 (smooth plate)

New Production stuff:

One Tung Sol 12AX7
Several JJ ECC83S some high gain others not
Two Shuguang ECC83's -- definitely not my favorite
a few Sovtek 12AX7s I'll drop in amps if I sell them.

Basically for new production we've only got four choices: New Sensor, SED, JJ, and Shuguang.

I hear GT is getting a new production 7025 (low noise version of the 12AX7). Interested after watching Lynch in the Friedman video have to NOS Ei 7025s for which I've scoured the NOS market and they're nowhere to be found.

So I'm figuring the Telefunken in V1 and try the rest all around depending upon how the stock stuff sounds.

High Gain, IMO, grab some Shuguangs (9th gen, unlabelled, or Ruby).
JJ's are a bit darker, but have good gain. Not as bright or "forward" as the Chinese tubes. Have gotten really nice unlabelled from Doug's Tubes before. Buy 3-4, and can always find 2 or 3 that will do that "screaming Marshall Lead" sound.

EH= blek
JJ ECC83S= good gain, darker
JJ ECC803S= decent gain, mellow, sweet.. great V1 and/or PI
Tung Sol 12AX7 new issue= my choice to try first
Tung Sol ECC803S= #1 on want to try list
Penta= blek
JAN Phillips 5751= lion tamer
Ei= OH WOW! Holy $417!! Oh ****... well, fun while it lasted..
Sovtek=blek

Love certain NOS/older tubes. I have my set of 4 Brimar ECC83, Made in Britain, absolutely gorgeous tube, mid gain and nice mids that are not too forward. This is my "go to" for anything "not high gain desired." This and the Tung Sol are my firsts, with the JJ ECC803S being a real close "second go to."

I love classic/prog rock, old school metal. Newer "super scooped" is not for me, and if it has too much saturation or hair/fizz,... well... However! Love over-saturating for effect with a pedal for certain things, ala early Pun-kins.

Oh- I prefer using a speaker that is closer to FRFR when trying tubes initially. Then again, I am not right int he head ;)