• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Used modded module at USED price

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jace - 1/3 of my modded modules I bought from Rob, the rest I bought second hand. Here's why to me, modded modules are 75% of new values as soon as it is sold second hand.. The modded modules are only warrantied to the initial owner of that modded module. That is an instant reason for me to not pay $350 for second hand when I could pay the same for one directly from the modder. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that and it is good business to do it that way. My experience in this was fine with Rob as his repair fee is reasonable and he did everything he could to keep the cost low. I bought an unplayed module for $300, didn't play it much at all, and a year or so later, it went bad as I went to sell/trade it. $60+ shipping later, it was basically brand new again and I sold it for a lot less than the $360+ I had into it.

Point is, buying from Rob gets you coverage and more peace of mind than buying second hand. So why would the second hand one have the same value?

(And by the way, I'm not singling out Rob here, he's just the only one I've had experience with..)

Oh, and one more thing... Something that I have noticed is that mods that are hard to unload here on the forum (mostly due to oversupply) regularly sell on eBay for a good clip higher than here, even considering eBay fees. I saw a Salvo Benzin go for $450, a SG Xtacy go for $475, I sold my JF Mark-X for $285 just a few weeks ago, etc. So, there is a chance the price bump is due to higher sales prices on eBay... I think a lot of y'all on the forum here think that this IS the MTS universe of owners & users. I think there are a lot more of em out there than we realize. Modded modules sell very easily on eBay, which could not be said about a lot of more 'mainstream' stuff I've sold or tried to sell on eBay or Craigslist...

To be honest I actually don't think the used modules are overpriced at all, I have bought every single module I own (maybe 30?) on this forum bar 3 new from JF which of course are killer. I'm talking every salvation mod at 350-400 and I have absolutely no problem. No wait times, no waiting for donors to save a couple of pennies.

Let's be real... I bought a Rhoadie for 400 used on here and received it in about 7 days from the USA to Sydney, Australia. New from Salvation it would cost 449 with additional shipping ($30) plus a 3 month wait and then you have the original amp that retails around 3k.

I actually think we hit a gold mine and I'm glad the mts scene never exploded.

We have a great, tight community that get on well and through all the different genres of music we love, we all still share a common love and thats our quest for the ultimate tone :)

You guys have all made great points here!
This is what I LOVE about this forum.
We can actually have a conversation on a subject that
doesn't instantly turn in to a grade school name calling competition!
Raise your glasses!
Cheers mates!
Jace
:wink:

Sold some modded modules for great prices here. Now one is on Ebay for substantially more... Where is my Who' Next album??

Billy-Madison-Buschemi-300x295_zpscpyerkbt.png

audiomidijace said:
All of your points are of course valid as well.
That's why I picked a fairly new and exciting module as an example.

But let's step back a few steps and look at the bigger picture.
MTS is a tiny little diamond hiding in the corner of the guitar amp world.
I understand that. But I'm only talking to the MTS group here that is aware of this diamond and how brightly it shines. So why do WE, the keepers of the flame, place so little value on the flame? I don't see anybody taking a 75% value drop on contemporary Marshalls, Mesa Boogies, etc. I find it ironic, because everybody here is always asking "What's the future of MTS?" Is Egnater going to come out with a new line? Will someone else license MTS? We all seem VERY interested in seeing MTS continue. But how can it? An RM100 head cannot be manufactured and sold for $500. IT CAN'T BE DONE! Yet $500 is the MOST any of us will pay for one! Are you all going to run right out and buy the new model for $1495 when it comes out? No, you won't. Not even if Bruce hand assembled each unit in the USA.

When I was at Rob's place. we had an interesting talk. He said, as we all know, that Randall and Egnater did a horrible job of Marketing the MTS concept. There are untold scores of players who've never heard about it. According to him, this forum seriously undervalues the MTS concept. He could sell his modded modules and the amps (he has stacks of all the remaining Randall amps) for way more than we sell them for around here because players just don't know a concept like this exists or this forum exists. When they find out they can have a custom modular amp, they're willing to pay for it.

Maybe we're complacent.

BTW, I picked up a used clean module the other day for $60. Maybe prices are falling on stock donors.