6l6 help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donmecka36

Reaction score
currently I use 4 groove tube 6l6's.they are called gt6l6c's.I know they the tightest sounding 6l6's that groove tubes makes.they are 1 rated tubes.I can't remember the name of the 1-10 scale that power tubes are rated on.I run my tubes at the lowest bias setting for my tubes.I have a black stripe recto and a black stripe xtc and they both sound really bass and mid heavy.this is with my resonance control at zero.both of modules have bass mods done to them.I replaced the preamp tubes in the module and in the amp and it still sounds mid and bass heavy.the only pedals I use are a treble boost and a boss noise suppressor.what other tube ideas would help me remedy my situation? thanks.

I'm taking a bit of a stab here. Just going from the info you provided, I'm guessing that you want to tighten up the bottom end.
I a fan of JJ tubes (www.eurotubes.com). I replaced GT6L6C's with JJE34L's and couldn't be happier (but I like Marshall mid punch). You could try JJ 6L6's. Before I swapped to the E34L's, I found that my RM100 with the GT6L6C's was responding funny to the bottom end. There was a low mid thing happening that was grating on my ears - especially noticeable with my Erect module. After going to JJ's I find the sound is a lot warmer and the low mid undesireable sound went away.
Otherwise, I would recommend bias your tubes hotter. Majority of the guys here run their tubes hot. Running your tubes cold (low end of the bias recommendations), can give your amp a sluggish sound. Not the sort of thing I would recommend for tight tone.
Have a read of Eurotubes, especially the different tube descriptions and also in the "guitar amp" section, look up Peavy and Mesa and read there.
Cheers
Damian

I agreed totally with Smokey the mid bass heavy effect from the 6L6's is really weird. I've used 6L6's for years in many amps and just did the switch to the JJ EL34L's and I couldn't be happier. It was just what I was looking for.

The EL34L's defiantly take away that boomy bass you get from the 6L6's and gives you a tight bass (not loose). The 6L6's were the problem to what was buging me with my tone. I also think the modules sound more alive with the EL34L's.