Anybody ever tried the Voodoo Twin mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Modifications/AMPMODIFICATIONS/RandallMods/CleanModule/TwinModClean/tabid/436/Default.aspx

I'm currently eyeing this. I'd very much like to have a great-sounding mod that can cover vintage Fender tones from fully clean to nicely crunchy. I'd love to get a Salvation Twinface, but I'm not sure whether I can justify paying the extra $140 or so plus shipping that it would cost me (although it does contain more features than the Voodoo mod). Has anybody ever had Voodoo do one of these?

Never tried that Voodoo, but I will say Trace will get you what you're looking for.

To the other part of the comment. I sold a Twin Face and it was just returned to me (not working properly). The "mojo" switch isn't working and I will be sending it back to Anthony to be repaired when my next batch of dual channels go out to him. You're more than welcome to try it out and get a feel for it, sans "mojo" switch. I probably won't be shipping for a month or so.

I have been using a Voodoo Twin in my live rig for almost 2 years. Trace updates his designs sometimes so I am not sure that mine would be exactly what you would get now.

Its a great module. Goes from clean to almost mid gain. The EQ nobs have a huge impact on the tone. You can dial in anything from a super fat/warm jazz tone to a painfully bright funky tone - and everything in between. Plenty of chime. Put a boost in front of it and you can get a great plexi-ish tone (but warmer).

Trace's base mods are fairly inexpensive and he can add all of the bells and whistles you want. The best part is that you can talk or e-mail with him at length and he'll get you exactly what you want based on what you tell him.

The one thing you will notice about the Twin mod is that it is VERY loud. It will most likely be quite a bit louder than your other modules. Trace explained that this is due to the way Fender circuits are designed compared to other amps. He put a trim pot in mine to help dial back some of the excess volume.

I had the stock Blackface and it was way quiet. It was so quiet that I sent it back to Randall thinking that something was wrong. They sent me another one and it was just as quiet. It is cool that Voodoo makes them louder. Does Voodoo have cool faceplates? I had my Blackface converted to the Superclean by Rob and it is real nice. However, it lost the twin vibe. I will never sell my superclean, but would like a Twin sound so I would consider sending one to Voodoo if I get one or send a Deluxe for conversion.

KillTone said:
Trace's base mods are fairly inexpensive and he can add all of the bells and whistles you want. The best part is that you can talk or e-mail with him at length and he'll get you exactly what you want based on what you tell him.

Very true. Trace will work with you via phone or email to get exactly what you're looking for.

ricky said:
Does Voodoo have cool faceplates?

I got my Voodoo Amps faceplates from Sacred Groove. I added the knobs myself.

DSC_0005-1-1.jpg

DSC_0006-2-1.jpg

DSC_0008-2-1.jpg

DSC_0010-2-1.jpg

KillTone said:
I have been using a Voodoo Twin in my live rig for almost 2 years. Trace updates his designs sometimes so I am not sure that mine would be exactly what you would get now.

Its a great module. Goes from clean to almost mid gain. The EQ nobs have a huge impact on the tone. You can dial in anything from a super fat/warm jazz tone to a painfully bright funky tone - and everything in between. Plenty of chime. Put a boost in front of it and you can get a great plexi-ish tone (but warmer).

The one thing you will notice about the Twin mod is that it is VERY loud. It will most likely be quite a bit louder than your other modules. Trace explained that this is due to the way Fender circuits are designed compared to other amps. He put a trim pot in mine to help dial back some of the excess volume.

Sounds cool man. My Salvation Mandarine Graphic is also way louder than any of my other mods are. I'm definitely interested in the Voodoo Twin mod. Any experience comparing it to an actual Twin? Obviously you'll never get the true experience of the reverb and vibrato in an MTS module, but as far as base tone goes...

Drew, PMing you about your offer.

I never have had it side by side with a real Twin. Even if I did, my RM100 has EL34s in it so it would probably not match up well.

Tempting to give it a try as I have a friend who has a vintage Twin with the original "blackface" circuit. I just may do that. I have a few sets of 6L6s I can drop into the RM100.

Our Twin Mod has been the same for a few years now. It holds up very well against a real Twin, I A/B'ed it myself and dialed it in to be as close as possible but also more versatile. You can get a nice mild bluesy overdrive and if you max out the internal gain trim pot it will sing even more.

Hope it helps & questions are always welcome :)
Trace