ART X-15 to control both RM-100 and SGX 2000 Express?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Saw one post where someone was using an X-15 to control an RM4 by itself... anyone know if it is possible to control both an RM100 and an ART SGX 2000 Express using the MIDI Thru port? I love that old unit, had it since 1994 would be cool if I could use it for both.

Aside from the X-15 specifically, anyone else using a similar setup & a MIDI thru for both? Just bought a used RM100 that is en route, trying to find out if I will need to invest in a separate MIDI controller.

thx

I have the X-15 and can control tons of gear with it. Its old but its like a tank. I have 2 RM100s and it will do anything i want it to. I think you will have no issues with that unit at all.

To program the RM100 on a specific midi preset, change the channel on the head using the channel select button then press and hold it down for a few seconds and vualla its saved to that preset now. Im not sure how the SGX 2000 will need to be programmed but im sure its not hard.

So if you want channel 1 on the RM100 to activate on preset 86, bank to that preset on your midi board, channel select to ch 1 on the RM100, hold ch select down for a sec and thatll take care of that.

TheHunter said:
I have the X-15 and can control tons of gear with it. Its old but its like a tank. I have 2 RM100s and it will do anything i want it to. I think you will have no issues with that unit at all.

To program the RM100 on a specific midi preset, change the channel on the head using the channel select button then press and hold it down for a few seconds and vualla its saved to that preset now. Im not sure how the SGX 2000 will need to be programmed but im sure its not hard.

So if you want channel 1 on the RM100 to activate on preset 86, bank to that preset on your midi board, channel select to ch 1 on the RM100, hold ch select down for a sec and thatll take care of that.

Thanks for the reply. I love the X-15, no problems in the 15 years I've owed it, aside from the little rubber feet wearing off. It has mostly gathered dust lately, Just got back into playing regularly again last year, so I downloaded some home-grown PC MIDI editing software for the SGX 2000 (which is very cool, allows easy editing & copying of presets, here is the link, I think there is some ability to program just the X-15 but I have never tried to go that route)-

http://gt1.info/art/sgx2000/

Will have to see if I can use that S/W to tack on RM100 settings to some of my existing SGX 2000 presets, and experiment with eliminating the ART preamp in favor of the RM100 modules in some presets, but keeping the FX & other settings.

Do the X-15 expression pedals work with the RM? If so, how assignable are they? For the SGX 2000, you can assign multiple MIDI parameters to each of the 2 expression pedals- for example, both reverb decay in MS and front/rear position, so when you push forward the reverb gets both longer & more distant sounding. Could you assign both RM100 channel volume and say gain to a preset?

I can't wait to get the RM100- will be here next week!

9985 said:
TheHunter said:

Thanks for the reply. I love the X-15, no problems in the 15 years I've owed it, aside from the little rubber feet wearing off. It has mostly gathered dust lately, Just got back into playing regularly again last year, so I downloaded some home-grown PC MIDI editing software for the SGX 2000 (which is very cool, allows easy editing & copying of presets, here is the link, I think there is some ability to program just the X-15 but I have never tried to go that route)-

http://gt1.info/art/sgx2000/

Will have to see if I can use that S/W to tack on RM100 settings to some of my existing SGX 2000 presets, and experiment with eliminating the ART preamp in favor of the RM100 modules in some presets, but keeping the FX & other settings.

Do the X-15 expression pedals work with the RM? If so, how assignable are they? For the SGX 2000, you can assign multiple MIDI parameters to each of the 2 expression pedals- for example, both reverb decay in MS and front/rear position, so when you push forward the reverb gets both longer & more distant sounding. Could you assign both RM100 channel volume and say gain to a preset?

I can't wait to get the RM100- will be here next week!

You know thats a really great question, i dont think that thats possible with the RM100s as the volume does not have MIDI functions. Maybe someone else will chime in here and answer that

TheHunter said:
You know thats a really great question, i dont think that thats possible with the RM100s as the volume does not have MIDI functions. Maybe someone else will chime in here and answer that

That is too bad on the volume. Is there are document somewhere that lists what settings are/are not MIDI controllable? The manuals on the Randall website don't have that kind of detail.

I hope the gain & EQ settings on each channel/module are MIDI controllable at least, really limits the usefulness of it being MIDI otherwise.

9985 said:
TheHunter said:

That is too bad on the volume. Is there are document somewhere that lists what settings are/are not MIDI controllable? The manuals on the Randall website don't have that kind of detail.

I hope the gain & EQ settings on each channel/module are MIDI controllable at least, really limits the usefulness of it being MIDI otherwise.

This is true, I never even thought about it that way. I am not the best person to answer these questions LOL, But I do agree that the midi is very limited on the RM100, it would have been nice if they would have set the volume up to be assignable to an expression pedal, and it would have been even more nice if you could assign the EQ to different parameters as well.
Like say you had the ULTRA in ch1 and on the X-15 it was on parameter 1, but let say you wanted a MID scoop or swell on it, you could program it on Parameter 2 on the X-15 to save that change for you. Thus allowing the user to use one module for Rythm and a Lead boost.

Maybe someone can chime in here and answer these questions.

The MIDI is for channel selection only. Egnater has done this for years, rather than using 1/4" jacks and relays for channel switching. Within the last year (or so) has there been a MIDI upgrade to the Randall amp heads, which will allow the amp to use both channels on dual channel Egnater modules. :)

SacredGroove said:
The MIDI is for channel selection only. Egnater has done this for years, rather than using 1/4" jacks and relays for channel switching. Within the last year (or so) has there been a MIDI upgrade to the Randall amp heads, which will allow the amp to use both channels on dual channel Egnater modules. :)

Yo Scott,

What it loo like my man?

I see that you are using theose WGS speakers, what is your feeling about them I was thinking about getting some soon and I am a bit skeptical! Any insight you can provide for me? I thought about this speaker, http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=ET65
Keep in mind I play gobbs of heavey metal. LOL

What up D?

I have the Greenback clones and they do a good job for live playing, but wouldn't recommend them for recording. They have such an early breakup, it's hard to get a smooth enough tone to mic. I use the GT75s for micing because they're so much smoother.

The X-pattern doesn't work well with these 2 speakers because they're so different and the Greenbacks are a lot louder. X-pattern or side by side is a recipe for phasing issues. I'm thinking of either replacing them or switching to top/bottom pattern with the Greenbacks on bottom. They've got good punch and presence, so I think they'd be good on bottom. BUT, I've heard great things about the Eminence Private Jack, which is a greenback'ish speaker , but has 50 watt rating, so break up shouldn't happen as early.

Having written this novel for you, I'd say Warehouse speakers are definitely worth the money, so far. You just gotta do some homework if you're going to pair them with another speaker.

SacredGroove said:
What up D?

I have the Greenback clones and they do a good job for live playing, but wouldn't recommend them for recording. They have such an early breakup, it's hard to get a smooth enough tone to mic. I use the GT75s for micing because they're so much smoother.

The X-pattern doesn't work well with these 2 speakers because they're so different and the Greenbacks are a lot louder. X-pattern or side by side is a recipe for phasing issues. I'm thinking of either replacing them or switching to top/bottom pattern with the Greenbacks on bottom. They've got good punch and presence, so I think they'd be good on bottom. BUT, I've heard great things about the Eminence Private Jack, which is a greenback'ish speaker , but has 50 watt rating, so break up shouldn't happen as early.

Having written this novel for you, I'd say Warehouse speakers are definitely worth the money, so far. You just gotta do some homework if you're going to pair them with another speaker.

Well Im running Original Vintage 30s now and I worry that with an X- pattern I will run into the aforemention volume issues, So I think i will just put the new speakers in another cab, and x pattern them with some crappy Peavey shitfields until i can afford another pair. Im not sure what to put in the 2nd cab though, I love my V30s but iwant something different, more bottom end but equal clarity, I like a loose sound but tight dynamics, ya dont we all. LOL Much like KATAKLYSM that sound makes me salivate. Well thansk for the input.