Backorder on newer Randall amps? Trouble with credit?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Jetson

Reaction score
I've been trying to get an RM20 combo amp in anything but black on black, the inventory color since 2005. Black tolex & Palomino cloth? 30-45 days. Cream tolex & Palomino cloth? 30-45 days. What gives? Did the Chinese factories close? Did Randall run out of credit? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've also heard of backorders on the signature modules and new RM4 preamps. Is Randall in trouble?

probably the opposite .supply and demand.
I think there are so many people turned on to the MTS system that they sell out all the stock ..it like AxeFx there used to be like a 6 month wait .
they could not keep up with orders

I think the RM20 are harder to come by already the cream tolex I have only seen on the Rm100 so far, I would also bet they probably stock 10 Rm100's to one rm20

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180351582693 ?

JKD, thanks for the eBay tip. That's still a little pricey for a used empty head. The black/palomino color is better than all black, but I still like that head in full palomino better.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...the one I passed up was $483 *new* during the outletsale 20% off code, so $475 *used* still seems high to me. I'll have to check out what MS Cashback is offering these days and whether this ebay posting qualifies. That is the first non-all-black RM20 I've seen on evilbay in a while.

It took me about 6 months to receive my loaded RM100 from musician's friend...finally threatnened to cancel my order and a supervisor called stating that they didn't stock the items since they didn't sell many of them and they were waiting on Randall.

Good luck on your search.

It took me about 6 months to receive my loaded RM100 from musician's friend...finally threatnened to cancel my order and a supervisor called stating that they didn't stock the items since they didn't sell many of them and they were waiting on Randall.

Good luck on your search.

George Jetson said:
JKD, thanks for the eBay tip. That's still a little pricey for a used empty head. The black/palomino color is better than all black, but I still like that head in full palomino better.

It's a Best Offer auction....offer $400 and it's free shipping :D

Personally having run thru 3 or 4 RM20s...I'd hunt for an RM50 (more plentiful and two channels) and buy Yellow Jacket adapters for it...

why Yellowjackets? They're barely going to cut the volume output. 50W needs to go to 5W just to drop volume by 50%.

JKD said:
George Jetson said:

Personally having run thru 3 or 4 RM20s...I'd hunt for an RM50 (more plentiful and two channels) and buy Yellow Jacket adapters for it...

did you ever solve the bias issue on the rm50? I would grab one, but that has me a bit scared :shock:

Julia said:
why Yellowjackets? They're barely going to cut the volume output. 50W needs to go to 5W just to drop volume by 50%.

Just assuming he wanted the EL84 sound....but yeah, an RM20 is still one loud beast.

The best EL84 sound I've had in my MTS was a pair of YJ Triodes which I think might be in the 5 to 9W range for the pair. The triodes sound less 'glassy' or spikey than an RM20.

crankyrayhanky said:
JKD said:
George Jetson said:

did you ever solve the bias issue on the rm50? I would grab one, but that has me a bit scared :shock:

Sort of...I changed tubes :-/

Randall confirmed that if the pot is jumpy it's probably bad....which sucks on a new board.

I do have a replacement trim pot around..Randall let me keep my old board with the bad traces for spares :D

It's just the hassle of stripping the amp down again I can live without.

JKD said:

JKD, Is this your listing? :roll: I am looking for small, relatively light amp I can take to small venues and use the mic eliminator to plug in to the FOH. easy setup and breakdown. With some pedals and the RM20's boost switch I won't be too hamstrung by just one module at a time.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

Just wanted to follow up. I decided to buy a new RM20 combo in black and then redo the grill cloth and add piping later (or not). I got a 20% off discount coupon that expired on the 30th. I am doubtful that the other colors will ever see the light of day any time soon, so in the mean time at least I'll have the amp to play.

The RM20 head + cab concept probably would work, but then I'd have a mismatched combo and I really wanted something I could carry in one hand, guitar in a gig bag on my back and the pedal board in my other hand. I already have several other head/cab combos that I have been hauling around and a 50w Banshee 2x12 combo that weighs about 70 pounds.

Yes, I did want to start off with the EL84s because I don't have those tubes in any of my other amps. I'm not so concerned about the volume out of the amp, because I will be using this mainly to hook into the FOH, but it is good to know it is loud enough for live use as a grab and go for jamming.

Thanks again.

To follow up from my previous saga. I got the amp from M123, listed as the older RM20B, all black, older knobs and faceplate, etc. I figured I'd change the cosmetics later to look more like an RM20BP if it bugged me enough. Well when I opened the box, looky what was inside:

Randall_RM20BP.jpg

I am very happy now and maybe even more so with the black and palomino colors than the cream and palomino. It certainly will be a lot easier to keep clean as I haul it around to gigs and jam sessions. This is one amp that is not going to be sitting in the basement all the time.

That's awesome...I like the BP combination better than the straight Palomino.