Best overdrives for an MTS?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorgMetal666

Reaction score
this might have been asked, but i searched and didn't find anything recent.

my rig is in my sig,
Mainly looking to push the high gain modules for an extra kick. I've seen people who like the sd-1, but out of the following which do you guys prefer?

Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS-9 or TS-808
Maxon od's
BBE green screamer
Krank Krankshaft

If there are any good ones I missed feel free to bring them up. I'm also in the market for one atm as well.

thanks for any assistance

I tried about 5 of them and settled on the BOSS SD-1. Gave it great PUSH and for a good price as well. Best bang for the buck! 8)

I use a bypass box and have no issues. I like to mod my own and i use MONTEALLUMS.COM fo all my mods and they just rock. its like turning your module into 3 or 4. I can dial in so many tones its unreal, Like a line 6 POD but better LOL.

D

There's a MXR zakk Wylde overdrive on my local craigslist for $50, how does that od compare to an sd-1 or ts-9?

I have never tried one but thats a pretty good deal for one. I know they are really popular, i think its juat a spiced up MXR overdrive pedal so i bet its pretty sick.

I would not worry to much about bypass stuff I ran my TS-9 striaght to the RM100 and it was just fine.

D

MorgMetal666 said:
There's a MXR zakk Wylde overdrive on my local craigslist for $50, how does that od compare to an sd-1 or ts-9?
Man....thats a great snag! 50 bucks is a great deal! :shock:

MorgMetal666 said:

I've got one and it works great for super-tight crunch on a JCM800 SL+. I leave the gain off and level on "11." :twisted:

I prefer other pedals for other modules.
--Grail/Tread Plate. SuperV, Blackface w/ TS9 (808 mod)
--XTC w/ MXR Micro Amp, TS9
--SL+ w/ MXR Wylde OD, TS9

The modified TS9 can be used on any module and sound good. It's a little grittier than the Wylde OD. The Wylde OD gets solid state tight with a little growl. 8)

I have 5 on my pedalboard..don't ask me to pick a favourite...

Hard to beat a BBE Green Screamer or even a stock SD-1 for the price....

The SD-1 robs the bass like a TS tends to an is not true bypass...the Screamer is more like a modded tubescreamer in that it keeps the bass..and pedal is true bypass...I use the SD-1 when I want an edgy tone and the BBE when I want to keep more of teh original tone intact....but both colour the tone in their own sweet way.

I tried a Zakk Wylde at it was noisy...moreso than the stock SD-1

The Boss BD-2 Blues Driver is an awesome (and tube-like) overdrive that does a nice job pushing modules. I keep the gain around one and it seems (to ME) to add just enough edge. I adjust the level so that there is just a slight push in vol. Love it.

I've also got an SD-1. I use this AFTER the BD-2 for a huge and powerful push. Brahma, BD-2, SD-1...almost makes for a 3 channel setup.

Although...I've been thinking about the MXR Distortion III as an alternate.

kriswatts

I would love to check out one the Soldano GTO pedals.....I hear they are the best of the best. Very pricey though. Almost as much as a amp! Anyone got one here or had or heard one? Wonder what the hype is on them. :?

I'm trading a digitech chorus factory for the Wylde overdrive later today since i have an extra chorus. I'll see how it suits me, but I'll definitely try others for comparison.

Well i've said it once and i'll say it again. Get a MAXON 808 and get it modded by Bodenhamer-electronics.com . I was one of the lucky ones that got a Bloody Murder custom OD pedal and i will NEVER not use it. I love it, took my rig to the next level.